Singaporean company Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies will release a small home hydrogen refueling and storage solution at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas later this week that could kickstart mankind’s transition to a hydrogen-based economy.
The HYDROFILL is a small desktop device that plugs into the power supply, a solar panel or a small wind turbine, and automatically extracts hydrogen from its water tank and stores it in a solid form in small refillable cartridges. The cartridges contain metallic alloys that absorb hydrogen into their crystalline structure, a storage method which the company claims offers the highest volumetric energy density of any form of hydrogen storage, even higher than liquid hydrogen.
Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies, which first became known to the general public with an exclusive Gizmag story in 2006 about the company’s educational toy solar hydrogen car. The Horizon toy cars quickly became the world’s largest volume-produced commercial fuel cell products and it is quite an irony that less than half a decade later, the company which launched with a toy car appears set to introduce genuinely disruptive technology into the home, finally enabling the long-touted futuristic vision of a hydrogen station in every home.
The HYDROFILL hydrogen refueling device will enable a low cost, scalable hydrogen supply model and may indeed eliminate the need for large-scale fueling infrastructure investments. As Horizon’s press statement so aptly puts it, the “game-changer innovation can unlock the age-old dilemma over which comes first: clean cars, or clean fuels.”
“We no longer need to rely on nationwide networks of hydrogen fueling stations to enable large-scale fuel cell commercialization,” said Horizon co-founder Taras Wankewycz. “Horizon is initiating a transition that places consumers in the driving seat. Thanks to our innovation each household can gradually become a major part of tomorrow’s hydrogen fuel supply infrastructure.”
The Latest on: Hydrogen refueling
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen refueling
- NASA selects proposals to demonstrate in-space refueling and propellant depot techon October 17, 2020 at 6:10 am
SpaceX NASA has selected 14 companies for contracts of more than $370 million to advance technology for human missions to the moon and Mars. Most of the money will support flight demonstrations by ...
- Climate Point: Low-emission metal, green hydrogen and electric buseson October 16, 2020 at 12:32 pm
Can green go blue? The jury's still out on hydrogen's place in the clean-energy world, as forming hydrogen gas is an energy-intensive process that can come with heavy carbon emissions. But there is ...
- This aviation startup is soaring ahead with hydrogen-powered planeson October 16, 2020 at 1:36 am
ZeroAvia's hydrogen technology could be the answer to aviations environmental problems. Retrofitting existing planes, they expect to be flying passengers commerically by 2023.
- NASA makes a significant investment in on-orbit spacecraft refuelingon October 14, 2020 at 12:00 pm
NASA has reached an agreement with 14 US companies to develop technologies that will enable future modes of exploration in space and on the surface of the Moon. NASA says the value of these awards for ...
- Trucking into the hydrogen eraon October 9, 2020 at 9:59 am
After years of unmet promises, hydrogen vehicles could finally be catching on. If so, it'll be a convoy of clean semi-trucks — not a bunch of quirky passenger cars — leading the way. The big picture: ...
- Nikola talks up hydrogen potential in its latest prototype presentationon October 9, 2020 at 7:01 am
Nikola (NASDAQ:NKLA) showed off its prototypes to the hydrogen industry yesterday at an event that also covered the company's patents and strategy to be a technology integrator.
- Nikola Highlights Its Hydrogen Efforts as Tech Questions Lingeron October 8, 2020 at 4:05 pm
At a presentation Thursday, the company continued an effort by Nikola executives to reassure investors while simplifying and focusing its strategy as a technology integrator.
- Nikola Celebrates National Hydrogen and Fuel-Cell Day 2020on October 8, 2020 at 3:00 pm
Nikola Corporation today highlighted its ongoing hydrogen and fuel-cell efforts in celebration of National Hydrogen and Fuel-Cell Day 2020. "We are excited to celebrate National Hydrogen and Fuel-Cell ...
- Hyundai Zero-Emissions Fuel Cell Mileage Circumnavigates Globe More Than 400 Times for National Hydrogen Dayon October 8, 2020 at 8:25 am
Celebrating National Hydrogen Day 2020, Hyundai's U.S. fuel cell SUVs, the NEXO fuel cell SUV and the Tucson fuel cell SUV, have together accumulated more than 10.9 million miles, all emitting only ...
- Hydrogen-powered trains get the green light as Siemens Energy and Mobility sign joint agreementon October 6, 2020 at 10:09 am
The newly-listed Siemens Energy has signed a memorandum of understanding with Siemens Mobility to "jointly develop and offer hydrogen systems for trains." Announced on Monday, the ...
via Bing News