Singaporean company Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies will release a small home hydrogen refueling and storage solution at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas later this week that could kickstart mankind’s transition to a hydrogen-based economy.
The HYDROFILL is a small desktop device that plugs into the power supply, a solar panel or a small wind turbine, and automatically extracts hydrogen from its water tank and stores it in a solid form in small refillable cartridges. The cartridges contain metallic alloys that absorb hydrogen into their crystalline structure, a storage method which the company claims offers the highest volumetric energy density of any form of hydrogen storage, even higher than liquid hydrogen.
Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies, which first became known to the general public with an exclusive Gizmag story in 2006 about the company’s educational toy solar hydrogen car. The Horizon toy cars quickly became the world’s largest volume-produced commercial fuel cell products and it is quite an irony that less than half a decade later, the company which launched with a toy car appears set to introduce genuinely disruptive technology into the home, finally enabling the long-touted futuristic vision of a hydrogen station in every home.
The HYDROFILL hydrogen refueling device will enable a low cost, scalable hydrogen supply model and may indeed eliminate the need for large-scale fueling infrastructure investments. As Horizon’s press statement so aptly puts it, the “game-changer innovation can unlock the age-old dilemma over which comes first: clean cars, or clean fuels.”
“We no longer need to rely on nationwide networks of hydrogen fueling stations to enable large-scale fuel cell commercialization,” said Horizon co-founder Taras Wankewycz. “Horizon is initiating a transition that places consumers in the driving seat. Thanks to our innovation each household can gradually become a major part of tomorrow’s hydrogen fuel supply infrastructure.”
The Latest on: Hydrogen refueling
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen refueling
- Could hydrogen-electric cars be crucial to meeting California’s climate goals?on November 27, 2020 at 9:28 pm
As California pushes to end the sale of gas-powered cars by 2035, a rivalry over which types of green vehicles will replace the internal combustion engine is playing out. Does the state need both ...
- Faurecia wants to be industry's hydrogen leaderon November 27, 2020 at 8:00 pm
Faurecia is preparing to be a fully independent company after PSA Group divests its stake in the supplier as part of its merger with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. Among the initiatives Faurecia is ...
- 2020 Hyundai Nexo review: This hydrogen fuel-cell SUV deserves your attentionon November 27, 2020 at 2:04 am
If you live in California and have easy access to hydrogen stations, the Nexo should be on your shopping list.
- Germany's national rail operator will experiment with hydrogen trainson November 26, 2020 at 9:36 am
Germany’s national rail operator Deutsche Bahn has announced that it’s developing a hydrogen-powered train with an eye to replacing diesel trains.
- Siemens and Deutsche Bahn plan trial of hydrogen-powered train in Germanyon November 26, 2020 at 7:30 am
Siemens Mobility and Deutsche Bahn have laid out plans to develop and trial a hydrogen fuel-cell train, in the latest example of major firms turning to a technology which could have a significant ...
- 3 reasons why batteries will power our future trucks, not hydrogen fuel cellson November 26, 2020 at 3:25 am
A lot of the technology required for succesful development of electric trucks is already here. Fuel cell technology is still a long way off.
- Britain’s Richest Man Plans To Make Hydrogen Cars Mainstreamon November 25, 2020 at 8:00 am
Hydrogen has been touted for decades as the future of mobility. In fact, there was a time when hydrogen was presumed to be “the fuel of the ...
- Plug Power Raises Approximately $1B to Accelerate the First Nation-Wide Green Hydrogen Networkon November 24, 2020 at 5:32 am
(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Plug Power Inc. (NASDAQ: PLUG), a leading provider of hydrogen engines and fueling solutions enabling e-mobility, has successfully completed one of the largest bought equity deal ...
- SDG&E and SoCalGas Announces Hydrogen Blending Demonstration Programon November 23, 2020 at 9:43 am
San Diego Gas and Electric and Southern California Gas announced the first California project to blend hydrogen with natural gas to reduce carbon emissions.
- SoCalGas and SDG&E Announce Groundbreaking Hydrogen Blending Demonstration Program to Help Reduce Carbon Emissionson November 23, 2020 at 8:06 am
As part of their commitment to support California’s climate goals and their mission to become the cleanest, safest and most innovative energy companies in America, Southern California Gas Co.
via Bing News