Hmmm. You think it’s a coincidence? Costa Rica is one of the very few countries to have abolished its army, and it’s also arguably the happiest nation on earth.
There are several ways of measuring happiness in countries, all inexact, but this pearl of Central America does stunningly well by whatever system is used. For example, the World Database of Happiness, compiled by a Dutch sociologist on the basis of answers to surveys by Gallup and others, lists Costa Rica in the top spot out of 148 nations.
That’s because Costa Ricans, asked to rate their own happiness on a 10-point scale, average 8.5. Denmark is next at 8.3, the United States ranks 20th at 7.4 and Togo and Tanzania bring up the caboose at 2.6.
Scholars also calculate happiness by determining “happy life years.” This figure results from merging average self-reported happiness, as above, with life expectancy. Using this system, Costa Rica again easily tops the list. The United States is 19th, and Zimbabwe comes in last.
A third approach is the “happy planet index,” devised by the New Economics Foundation, a liberal think tank. This combines happiness and longevity but adjusts for environmental impact — such as the carbon that countries spew.
The Latest on: Happiness
via Google News
The Latest on: Happiness
- Tony Hsieh, ex-CEO of Zappos and a guru of happiness, dies at 46on November 28, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Hsieh was a luminary during the early days of online retail and inspired new ways of thinking with his book Delivering Happiness.
- Can Boris Johnson and Joe Biden Find Happiness?on November 28, 2020 at 2:02 pm
Leaving aside Johnson's "Kenya" dis of Obama, the British Prime Minister is at odds with the President-elect over Brexit and the Irish border. Can the US-UK "Special Relationship"be saved?
- Tony Hsieh, Zappos CEO and happiness guru, has died at 46on November 28, 2020 at 10:24 am
Hsieh was a luminary during the early days of online retail and inspired new ways of thinking with his book "Delivering Happiness." ...
- Gomes: I left Man Utd for Lille to find happiness in my footballon November 27, 2020 at 10:47 am
Angel Gomes has explained that he left Manchester United to sign for Lille in the summer because he craved “happiness” in his football.
- Ex-Eagle Nelson Agholor has found success and happiness far from the harsh spotlight of Philadelphiaon November 27, 2020 at 2:52 am
Nelson Agholor's five seasons in Philadelphia were no picnic. He was considered a first-round disappointment. But a change of scenery has done wonders for his career.
- New Diggs: Bills receiver finds happiness in Buffaloon November 25, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Stefon Diggs was preparing for the start of practice Wednesday when Buffalo Bills offensive line coach Bobby Johnson approached and asked how the receiver was doing. Diggs surprised even himself with ...
- Josh Brown says money can buy happiness if you invest right. Here's how you need to build your portfolioon November 25, 2020 at 12:00 pm
You need to set your priorities before building your investment portfolio, according to author and wealth advisor Josh Brown. Here's how you should start.
- Happiness Trainings Are Becoming More Common In The Workplace, But Are They Effective?on November 25, 2020 at 7:59 am
A team of scientists led by Ad Bergsma of Erasmus University Rotterdam in the Netherlands analyzed the results of 61 happiness training studies published between 1972 and 2019. They found that the ...
- Happiness Won’t Save Youon November 24, 2020 at 9:19 am
More than 40 years ago, three psychologists published a study with the eccentric, mildly seductive title, “Lottery Winners and Accident Victims: Is Happiness Relative?” Even if you don’t think you ...
- Researcher debunks happiness myths (video)on November 23, 2020 at 2:30 pm
Amy Blankson, the founder and CEO of Fearless Positivity, debunks some myths we’ve all heard about “happiness.” Is it true that you either “have” happiness or you don’t? Is social media making us less ...
via Bing News