Hmmm. You think it’s a coincidence? Costa Rica is one of the very few countries to have abolished its army, and it’s also arguably the happiest nation on earth.
There are several ways of measuring happiness in countries, all inexact, but this pearl of Central America does stunningly well by whatever system is used. For example, the World Database of Happiness, compiled by a Dutch sociologist on the basis of answers to surveys by Gallup and others, lists Costa Rica in the top spot out of 148 nations.
That’s because Costa Ricans, asked to rate their own happiness on a 10-point scale, average 8.5. Denmark is next at 8.3, the United States ranks 20th at 7.4 and Togo and Tanzania bring up the caboose at 2.6.
Scholars also calculate happiness by determining “happy life years.” This figure results from merging average self-reported happiness, as above, with life expectancy. Using this system, Costa Rica again easily tops the list. The United States is 19th, and Zimbabwe comes in last.
A third approach is the “happy planet index,” devised by the New Economics Foundation, a liberal think tank. This combines happiness and longevity but adjusts for environmental impact — such as the carbon that countries spew.
The Latest on: Happiness
via Google News
The Latest on: Happiness
- Researcher debunks happiness myths (video)on November 23, 2020 at 2:30 pm
Amy Blankson, the founder and CEO of Fearless Positivity, debunks some myths we’ve all heard about “happiness.” Is it true that you either “have” happiness or you don’t? Is social media making us less ...
- New Happiness Code Reviews - Does the Program Really Work?on November 22, 2020 at 8:35 am
So, when we were told of David’s New Happiness Code, we decided to review if it was ideal. We wanted to see if it’s different as it has been built and if it is worth a mention to our friends.” There ...
- Shooting One Dune Scene Almost Left Jason Momoa Crying with Happinesson November 20, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Jason Momoa recalls the time he thought he would get notes after an important exposition scene while shooting ‘Dune’.
- Open for the Secret(s) to Happinesson November 20, 2020 at 12:24 pm
How can I be happier? Sure, 2020 has thrown some wild ones our way, but we’re about to give you some critical happiness hacks to help you hit those curveballs out of the park. Learn new ways to teach ...
- This chocolate will have you inching toward happinesson November 19, 2020 at 4:18 pm
Spreading a little “chocolate happiness” as a company mission may sound corny but it was, and still is, Paul McMahon’s goal when he started The Happy Chocolatier in 2011.
- New Science Identifies Three Pathways To Happiness — Mattering, Autonomy, And Patienceon November 19, 2020 at 5:26 am
That depends, but psychologists and happiness researchers have identified a few common elements that tend to be found in happy people. Here are three recent findings from the field of happiness ...
- Sedentary Pandemic Life Is Bad for Our Happinesson November 19, 2020 at 3:07 am
The times when we most want comfort and rest may paradoxically be the times we most need to move, for the sake of our well-being.
- The New Happiness Code David X Program - Manifesting Unlimited Happiness And Ultimate Wealthon November 18, 2020 at 10:19 pm
So, when we were told of David’s New Happiness Code, we decided to review if it was ideal. We wanted to see if it’s different as it has been built and if it is worth a mention to our friends. In the ...
- Lizzo Tears Up as She Says ‘Money Doesn’t Buy You Happiness’ in TikTok: ‘Do the Inner Work’on November 18, 2020 at 1:43 pm
"Do the inner work, because no matter where you are if you don’t, it’s going to haunt you like a f—ing ghost," the singer said ...
- The pursuit of happiness can be good for our health and well-being | Opinionon November 17, 2020 at 3:45 pm
We have a need for physical distancing to quell the spread of COVID-19. Yet some people are translating this to mean social distancing. Many experts, including former U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek ...
via Bing News