Google sees a future where carriers have to compete on price and the quality of their networks, rather than exclusive deals with handset manufacturers like AT&T’s lengthy exclusive deal with Apple for the iPhone and subsequent models.
The Nexus One is its first baby step toward that future and it’s currently available in unlocked form to consumers in the US, UK, Singapore and Hong Kong for US$529. If for some reason you want to be locked into a contract, the only option is T-Mobile, with the phone available for $179 with a two-year contract, with Verizon (US) and Vodafone (EU) options available in the not-too-distant future.
Andy Rubin, VP of Engineering at Google, refers to the Nexus One as a “superphone” due to the 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU inside. To put this into some perspective, the Motorola Droid, iPhone 3GS and the Palm Pre all use a 600MHz Arm Cortex A8 CPU. I say some perspective due to the lesson that Intel taught us with the Pentium 4 – clockspeed doesn’t mean everything.
The Latest on: Smartphone
via Google News
The Latest on: Smartphone
- Apple's iPhone 11 Pro launch is proof that the smartphone industry is going through a massive changeon September 11, 2019 at 8:46 am
The iPhone 11 Pro's advanced camera was at the heart of Apple's September keynote, and that says a lot about where the industry is headed.
- Smartphone, Matchbox cars among Toy Hall of Fame finalistson September 11, 2019 at 7:21 am
The smartphone is being considered for induction into the National Toy Hall of Fame this year in recognition of its impact on how people play and interact. The other finalists announced Wednesday are: ...
- Apple reveals new products despite slowing smartphone saleson September 11, 2019 at 6:55 am
Apple revealed its new iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro Max and Apple Watch Series 5. Despite this, the tech giant is still seeing slower smartphone sales across the globe. Yahoo Finance’s Brian Sozzi ...
- 5 Best Smartphone Sanitizerson September 11, 2019 at 5:57 am
Microsoft may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through recommended links on this page. Please give an overall site rating: ...
- The South Korea-Japan smartphone trade quarrel is going to the WTOon September 10, 2019 at 9:35 pm
With no one willing to mediate, South Korea’s taking on Japan at the World Trade Organization over export restrictions that could hinder its production of smartphones and phone components.
- How to Make Your Smartphone Last Longeron September 10, 2019 at 9:24 pm
When you buy a new smartphone, how long do you expect it to last? Two years? Maybe three? Despite the sometimes sky-high sticker prices, we tend to replace our smartphones more frequently than any of ...
- iPhone 11 hands-on — a mainstream smartphone with Night Mode for low-light shootingon September 10, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Apple unveiled its iPhone 11 smartphone at its By Innovation Only event in Cupertino today, and we got a look at it. This phone is a successor to the iPhone XR and has a cheaper liquid crystal ...
- Apple unveils new camera, err, I mean smartphoneon September 10, 2019 at 12:25 pm
The new iPhone is so hard to differentiate from the old iPhone that Apple didn't really try and spent a big chunk of the iPhone launch event boasting about its array of cameras. Sure, the process is a ...
- The Cheapest iPhone 11 Might Be Apple's Best Smartphone Dealon September 10, 2019 at 12:15 pm
Given the fact that the cheaper iPhone XR was Apple’s best selling iPhone in 2018 and that it out-shipped every other smartphone in the first half of 2019, it comes as no surprise that Apple ...
- Apple says its new A13 Bionic chip has the fastest smartphone CPU and GPU everon September 10, 2019 at 11:02 am
Apple has revealed the chip that will power its new 2019 iPhones: the A13 Bionic. And as you’d expect, the company is wasting no time in explaining that it’s the most powerful silicon ever to grace ...
via Bing News