For years, the process remained relatively static: PC makers like Hewlett-Packard and Apple, with well-staffed research labs and design departments, would dream up their next product and then hire a Chinese or Taiwanese fabricator to manufacture the largest number of units at the lowest possible cost.
But lately, this traditional division of labor has been upended.
The investment arms of large Taiwanese and Chinese manufacturers have created an investment network in Silicon Valley operating under the radar that pumps money into a variety of chip, software and services companies to gain the latest technology. As a result, some Asian manufacturers have proved more willing than entrenched Silicon Valley venture capitalists to back some risky endeavors.
“In the past, the manufacturers would sneak around and get inside information on technology by investing in these companies,” said K. Bobby Chao, the managing partner at DFJ DragonFund China, a business that invests in technology companies in China and the United States. “Now, they’re more involved, more visible and charging after more complex maneuvers.”
As manufacturing of electronics in the United States began moving offshore decades ago, some feared the American economy would suffer. But the American companies, as well as economists and policy makers, said that as long as the high-value jobs like research and design remained in the United States, there was little danger.
Asian investments in Silicon Valley present some risks for America’s top technology companies, which could lose their connection to top innovations.
Asian manufacturers like Foxconn or Quanta, as a result, could wrestle away the edge in research and design.
“The manufacturers have gotten more competitive as it relates to innovation, and in some instances they’re already competing directly with their customers,” said Patrick Moorhead, a vice president at Advance Micro Devices, a major PC chip maker.
The Latest on: Computer manufacturing
via Google News
The Latest on: Computer manufacturing
- Unlocking Data Value in Manufacturingon January 14, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Nearly three-quarters of manufacturing managers worldwide consider data sharing to improve their operations ... Blue River Technology in Sunnyvale, Calif., for example, couples computer vision and ...
- $3.8 million for advanced manufacturing education by the Department of Defenseon January 13, 2020 at 1:48 pm
advanced manufacturing (including 3D printing), and the application of these technologies in fabricating solutions, such as structurally integrated antennas and radomes. Davis leads an ...
- Manufacturing Analytics Market 2020 Analysis Focusing On Top Companies- SAS Institute, Computer Science Corporation, IBM Corporation, SAP SEon January 12, 2020 at 11:09 pm
New Jersey, United States, - The report titled Manufacturing Analytics Market is one of the most comprehensive and important additions to Verified Market Research's archive of market research studies.
- Computer Aided Manufacturing Market is Thriving Worldwide with Smart Key Players Hexagon, Autodesk, 3D Systemson January 10, 2020 at 5:51 am
Zion Market Research published a new 110+ pages industry research “Global Computer Aided Manufacturing Market Is Anticipated To Reach Around USD 4.04 Billion By 2025” is exhaustively researched and ...
- Causes and consequences of manufacturing deviationson January 9, 2020 at 9:15 pm
This group is working in five different sub-projects to investigate how geometric deviations in the manufacturing process come about and how they affect the function and lifespan of technical products ...
- The Clarke Companies Acquires Covex, LLC, to Better Connect Enterprise IT with Manufacturing & Operations for FDA Regulated Customerson January 9, 2020 at 6:10 am
The combined organization leverages Clarke’s engineering pedigree in FDA regulated services in manufacturing and packaging with Covex’s strengths in the Enterprise IT stack, including computer systems ...
- Rockwell Automation Takeover Targets Manufacturing Cybersecurityon January 8, 2020 at 8:04 pm
Rockwell services the manufacturing industry, which is getting more digital and connected as legacy ... help as many organizations as possible [to] secure their data from internal and external threats ...
- Large former data center, manufacturing space available in Rosevilleon January 7, 2020 at 11:57 am
In a rare availability of a large-format building, up to 140,000 square feet is available for lease in Roseville, just a few blocks from Interstate 80. The space is in two connected buildings at 199 ...
- Computer Bluetooth Modules Market Shaping from Growth to Valueon January 7, 2020 at 10:01 am
The Exploration study offers deep assessment of the Global Computer Bluetooth Modules Market and helps market participants to gain a solid base in the industry. The Research report presents a complete ...
- U.S. Manufacturing Is Still Contractingon January 7, 2020 at 4:07 am
Only three industries out of 18 experienced growth: Food, Beverage & Tobacco Products; Miscellaneous Manufacturing; and Computer & Electronic Products. The remaining 15 industries experienced ...
via Bing News