Rising prices and better alternatives may mean curtains for netbooks.
The small, portable computers were popular in 2009, but some industry watchers are convinced that their popularity is already waning.
“The days of the netbook are over,” said Stuart Miles, founder and editor of technology blog Pocket Lint.
As prices edge upwards, net-using habits change and other gadgets take on their functions, netbooks will become far less popular, he thinks.
“Technology has advanced so much that it’s outmanoeuvred itself,” he said. “You wouldn’t go for something so basic anymore.”
His prediction stems from his belief that the netbooks of 2009 are losing touch with what made them so appealing.
Asus kicked off the netbook trend in 2007 when it launched the Eee PC 700 and 701. The 700 sported a 2GB solid state hard drive, 512MB of Ram, a 900 MHz Intel Celeron processor and a seven inch screen.
It was cheap, cheerful and a boon for those wanting to check e-mail and go online while out and about.
But, said Mr Miles, the success of the small, portable notebook has been its undoing because it has spawned so many imitators.
The Latest on: Netbooks
via Google News
The Latest on: Netbooks
- “Oh, he’s hilarious. He’s always happy,” 4-year-old continues to love life after rare cancer diagnosison January 14, 2020 at 3:48 pm
Even though the tumor is the size of a grapefruit, he handles the glue and paper easily with just three fingers while dressing a paper doll during an arts and crafts session at the Jimmy Everest ...
- Treating Colon Cancer: What Happens After a Diagnosison January 14, 2020 at 11:32 am
Other patients may be candidates for targeted therapy for colorectal cancer, which targets abnormal gene and protein changes in cells linked to cancer. “The bottom line is that there are a lot of ...
- Access to Medicare increases cancer detection, reduces cancer mortality rateon January 14, 2020 at 5:19 am
Access to Medicare significantly impacts detection of certain cancers and life expectancy following cancer diagnosis, according to a new study from the UW School of Medicine and Public Health that was ...
- NUS researchers discover new personalized tool for cancer diagnosison January 14, 2020 at 3:08 am
In a series of studies, the NUS team found that these 29 genes had appeared repeatedly as a consistent factor in patients diagnosed with non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) which accounts for ...
- Family Wins $8.1M In Lawsuit Over Delayed Lung Cancer Diagnosison January 13, 2020 at 10:50 pm
Family's attorneys said radiologist's 13-month delay in diagnosing Chicago woman's lung cancer at MetroSouth led to her early death.
- What are the symptoms of throat cancer?on January 13, 2020 at 1:11 pm
Laryngeal cancer develops in the voice box, or larynx. The larynx is a tubular structure that sits at the top of the windpipe. Keep reading for more information on the symptoms, signs, and causes of ...
- Ex-Goldman tech chief Marty Chavez joins start-up seeking to disrupt cancer diagnosison January 10, 2020 at 10:00 am
The former Goldman Sachs technology chief is joining the board of Paige, a New York-based start-up that aims to use artificial intelligence techniques to improve the diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
- John Lewis returns to House floor for first vote since cancer diagnosison January 9, 2020 at 3:02 pm
U.S. Rep. John Lewis is back on the House floor today, less than two weeks since announcing a diagnosis of stage four pancreatic cancer. He came to the chamber to vote with Democrats in favor of a ...
- Study Finds Racial Disparities With Breast Cancer Diagnosison January 9, 2020 at 12:30 pm
The JAMA Oncology study released Thursday also found connections between breast cancer diagnosis and health insurance coverage.
via Bing News