A 1930s house built in 2008 is about to undergo the first of three energy efficiency upgrades which will ultimately convert an energy inefficient house into a zero carbon home designed to meet the Government’s 2016 CO2 targets for all new housing. The results of this research will be relevant to millions of householders across the UK.
The University of Nottingham had to seek special planning permission to build the house to 1930s specification. Over the next two weeks it will be upgraded with cavity wall insulation, loft insulation, draft proofing and double glazing together with a host of other energy saving devices and equipment.
The three year research project is being led by experts from the School of the Built Environment together with the energy firm E.ON.Dr Mark Gillott, who is leading the research, said: “The house provides us with a unique test facility to measure the exact cost benefit, energy efficiency and carbon reduction figures achieved through the various upgrade measures we are implementing over the next two weeks — valuable information when deciding on which of the many energy efficiency measures are the most cost effective.”
The 1930s semi is an icon of its age. Three million were built and they are still a major part of our current housing stock.
The E.ON 2016 House is the most comprehensive ‘big brother’ study of its kind. This 1930s style house bristles with more than 100 sensors to monitor energy use, temperature and humidity, making it one of the most sophisticated research houses in the world.
The Latest on: Energy efficiency upgrades
via Google News
The Latest on: Energy efficiency upgrades
- Arnold Air Force Base to Fund $22.1 Million in Facility Improvements through Energy Savings with NORESCO on December 18, 2018 at 5:30 am
Dec. 18, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- NORESCO, a national leader in energy efficiency and infrastructure solutions ... enhance building automation systems and upgrade steam distribution systems. These measure... […]
- Holgate Schools Partner with En-Trust and Inovateus Solar to Reduce 80% of Energy Load with Solar Power on December 18, 2018 at 4:43 am
The project will provide clean, renewable energy and energy efficiency upgrades to the Holgate Local School system through a guaranteed energy savings contract. This project is the result of a joint d... […]
- Home energy efficiency upgrades ‘should not fall’ to suppliers on December 18, 2018 at 2:12 am
Suppliers should be stripped of responsibility for carrying out household energy efficiency improvements, a government adviser has said. Laura Sandys, the former Conservative MP who is chairing a ... […]
- Crown announces process upgrade for biodiesel manufacturers on December 17, 2018 at 4:37 pm
Crown, a leader in the oilseed processing industry, announces a new process upgrade for biodiesel ... operating cost and highest efficiency by adding a third transesterification reaction step while al... […]
- Tucson Electric Power must boost energy-saving programs, critics say on December 15, 2018 at 9:15 pm
Energy-efficiency advocates want Tucson Electric ... arguing it will build power demand even with efficiency upgrades, and that the budgeted money be allocated to an efficiency program for schools. […]
- Homeowners can get help with weatherization, upgrades on December 14, 2018 at 5:29 pm
The nonprofits work with consumers like Mendoza to weatherize homes and install energy-efficient heat pumps. Mendoza recently took advantage of NYSERDA’s weatherization program. And state incentives a... […]
- Governor Cuomo Announces Dramatic Increase in Energy Efficiency and Energy Storage Targets to Combat Climate Change on December 14, 2018 at 9:04 am
upgrades to heating and cooling equipment, and innovative technologies like heat pumps. The Commission has required a minimum of 20 percent of any additional levels of public investment in energy effi... […]
- Workshop explores energy efficiency on December 14, 2018 at 2:41 am
The enterprise is dedicated to the advancement of efficient energy use that stimulates the economy yet shows environmental regard. “These workshops help people learn about reducing energy costs,” Stil... […]
- Trump officials say federal energy efficiency part of Green New Deal is achievable in 10 years on December 13, 2018 at 8:27 am
But at least with energy efficiency, Trump administration officials are confident federal building upgrades can occur within this constricted time frame. Referring to the “hue and cry” coming ... […]
via Bing News