A 1930s house built in 2008 is about to undergo the first of three energy efficiency upgrades which will ultimately convert an energy inefficient house into a zero carbon home designed to meet the Government’s 2016 CO2 targets for all new housing. The results of this research will be relevant to millions of householders across the UK.
The University of Nottingham had to seek special planning permission to build the house to 1930s specification. Over the next two weeks it will be upgraded with cavity wall insulation, loft insulation, draft proofing and double glazing together with a host of other energy saving devices and equipment.
The three year research project is being led by experts from the School of the Built Environment together with the energy firm E.ON.Dr Mark Gillott, who is leading the research, said: “The house provides us with a unique test facility to measure the exact cost benefit, energy efficiency and carbon reduction figures achieved through the various upgrade measures we are implementing over the next two weeks — valuable information when deciding on which of the many energy efficiency measures are the most cost effective.”
The 1930s semi is an icon of its age. Three million were built and they are still a major part of our current housing stock.
The E.ON 2016 House is the most comprehensive ‘big brother’ study of its kind. This 1930s style house bristles with more than 100 sensors to monitor energy use, temperature and humidity, making it one of the most sophisticated research houses in the world.
The Latest on: Energy efficiency upgrades
via Google News
The Latest on: Energy efficiency upgrades
- A. O. Smith Announces Exclusive Energy Star Contractor Locator on November 13, 2018 at 11:16 am
Smith installers with consumers interested in energy efficient heat pump water heaters ... Consumers who visit the Energy Star website looking to upgrade or replace their water heater with heat pump t... […]
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport Upgrades Apron Lighting to LED for Safety and Efficiency on November 13, 2018 at 6:37 am
ALPHARETTA, Ga., Nov. 13, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) has chosen Bright Light Systems (BLS), an Atlanta-based lighting manufacturer of energy-effici... […]
- Enphase Energy Rolls Out Service Program for Early Adopters on November 13, 2018 at 4:01 am
Enphase Energy, Inc. ENPH ... that over 1,000 homeowners have joined the Enphase Upgrade Program, a program that gives homeowners several options for upgrading to the latest, more efficient and reliab... […]
- Clearwater Paper Wins 2018 AF&PA Sustainability Award for Energy Efficiency/Greenhouse Gas Reduction on November 13, 2018 at 3:11 am
“By investing in a substantial infrastructure upgrade, Clearwater Paper’s Lewiston mill ... which has five subcategories that correspond to the goals: Energy Efficiency/Greenhouse Gas Reduction, Paper ... […]
- Consumers Energy Provides $2 Million to Michigan Families on November 12, 2018 at 10:42 am
Participants also qualify for energy-saving tools, including free in-home energy efficiency upgrades. Consumers Energy encourages people who are facing hardship with energy bills or other needs to cal... […]
- Eversource and Rochester School District Unveil Energy-Efficient Lighting Upgrades on November 12, 2018 at 8:13 am
As part of its work to help customers better manage their energy, an Eversource partnership with the Rochester School District is nearing completion of a significant, district-wide effort to upgrade m... […]
- Willis Tower Slashes Energy Usage, Achieves LEED Gold on November 12, 2018 at 6:18 am
... consulting firm Rivion worked with the building’s team to plan and implement energy saving initiatives. Upgrades to Willis Tower include: Installing high-efficiency lighting systems with improved ... […]
- With Winter on the Way, Consumers Energy Provides $2 Million to Help Michigan Families Stay Safe and Warm on November 12, 2018 at 3:17 am
Participants also qualify for energy-saving tools, including free in-home energy efficiency upgrades. Consumers Energy encourages people who are facing hardship with energy bills or other needs to ... […]
- New PACE program to bring clean energy to Denton County businesses on November 9, 2018 at 10:10 am
renewable energy and water efficiency upgrades. Denton County Commissioners voted unanimously this week to offer PACE, which provides owners of commercial, industrial and multi-family residential ... […]
via Bing News