A sample of the electromagnetic shielding material made by Empa – a composite of cellulose nanofibres and silver nanowires. Image: Empa
Protection against electromagnetic interference
- Electric motors and electronic devices generate electromagnetic fields that sometimes have to be shielded in order not to affect neighboring electronic components or the transmission of signals. High-frequency electromagnetic fields can only be shielded with conductive shells that are closed on all sides. Often thin metal sheets or metallized foils are used for this purpose. However, for many applications such a shield is too heavy or too poorly adaptable to the given geometry. The ideal solution would be a light, flexible and durable material with extremely high shielding effectiveness.
- The researchers have succeeded in producing a composite of cellulose nanofibers and silver nanowires, and thereby created ultra-light fine structures which provide excellent shielding against electromagnetic radiation. The effect of the material is impressive: with a density of only 1.7 milligrams per cubic centimeter, the silver-reinforced cellulose aerogel achieves more than 40 dB shielding in the frequency range of high-resolution radar radiation (8 to 12 GHz) – in other words: Virtually all radiation in this frequency range is intercepted by the material.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Nanotech Energy Launches EMI Shielding Product Lineon October 6, 2020 at 5:45 am
PRNewswire/ -- Nanotech Energy Inc. ("Nanotech Energy" or the "Company"), the leading manufacturer of graphene, today announces the debut of Nanotech ...
- U.S. Army’s New Fabric Will Enhance Cybersecurity, Subzero Weather Durabilityon September 29, 2020 at 7:14 am
The Combat Capabilities Development Command Soldier Center, or CCDC SC, is working with industry to develop a new shelter fabric that will increase durabil ...
- Soldier Center’s new fabric will enhance cybersecurity, subzero weather durabilityon September 27, 2020 at 5:00 pm
The Combat Capabilities Development Command Soldier Center, or CCDC SC, is working with industry to develop a new shelter fabric that will increase durability in subzero conditions and provide ...
- AFRL repairs next generation composite materials with lighton September 24, 2020 at 4:53 am
Scientists at the Air Force Research Laboratory and Hanyang University are developing smart structural composites that are robust and photothermally responsive, enabling next generation composite ...
- Hexcel launches PEKK-based electromagnetic 3D printing material for aerospace componentson September 23, 2020 at 1:32 am
Advanced composites company Hexcel has announced the launch of an electrically conductive PEKK-based thermoplastic carbon fibre composite material for additive manufacturing.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Aerogels against electromagnetic radiation
- Snohomish PUD: Toyer opposes smart meterson October 6, 2020 at 1:30 am
Rob Toyer has my vote for Snohomish PUD Commissioner He is an insurance consultant, loan officer, investment advisor, and former Marysville city council member.
- New Cancer Treatment: Antimatter Particles Hold Key In Timely Attack Against Growing Tumorson October 3, 2020 at 9:07 pm
By timing the antimatter particles in PET scanners, a team of experts invented a device that could soon make cancer treatment less invasive.
- How to reduce exposure to cell phone radiationon September 30, 2020 at 9:43 pm
Cell phones do produce radiation, even if it’s quite limited. They use radiofrequency energy, which is a type of electromagnetic radiation ... Keeping your smartphone against your body is not the best ...
- Radiation on moon's surface measured for the first time, study sayson September 26, 2020 at 10:00 am
Research is also being conducted into pharmaceuticals that could help defend against radiation ... the study said. Radiation is energy that is emitted in electromagnetic waves or particles.
- Radiation on moon's surface measured for the first time, study sayson September 25, 2020 at 12:32 pm
Radiation is energy that is emitted in electromagnetic waves or particles ... Research is also being conducted into pharmaceuticals that could help defend against radiation, it added.