via Northwestern University
New biomaterial could shield against harmful radiation
- Called selenomelanin, biomaterial is a new form of melanin enriched with selenium
- Selenomelanin is lighter and more versatile than traditional radioprotective materials such as lead
- In the lab, selenomelanin protected cells from radiation better than cells treated with other forms of melanin
Packing for outer space? Here’s one thing you won’t want to forget.
Northwestern University researchers have synthesized a new form of melanin enriched with selenium. Called selenomelanin, this new biomaterial shows extraordinary promise as a shield for human tissue against harmful radiation.
“Given the increased interest in space travel and the general need for lightweight, multifunctional and radioprotective biomaterials, we’ve become excited about the potential of melanin,” said Northwestern’s Nathan Gianneschi, who led the research. “It occurred to our postdoctoral fellow Wei Cao that melanin containing selenium would offer better protection than other forms of melanin. That brought up the intriguing possibility that this as-yet undiscovered melanin may very well exist in nature, being used in this way. So we skipped the discovery part and decided to make it ourselves.”
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Feed has no items.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Katie Holmes' favorite handbag features inside lining that shields against cell phone radiationon October 2, 2020 at 3:47 pm
Slung on Katie Holmes' shoulder all over town is Sharkchaser's Bubble Bag. The little-known brand creates sleek handbags featuring lining that shields cellphone radiation.
- After measuring radiation on the moon for the first time, scientists say a lunar base should be built underground to protect astronautson September 29, 2020 at 2:34 pm
NASA wants to build a permanent base on the moon by the 2030s — a place astronauts could stay for extended visits at the lunar south pole. But according to a new study, any astronauts who go there ...
- Medical Radiation Shielding Market 2020 Driving Factors, Industry Growth, Key Vendors and Forecasts to 2025on September 29, 2020 at 5:49 am
Selbyville, Delaware, Growth forecast report " Medical Radiation Shielding Market size by Product Type (X-Ray, Shields, Booths, Sheet Lead, Bricks and Curtain), By Application (Hospitals and ...
- Moonwalking Humans Get Blasted With 200 Times the Radiation Experienced on Earthon September 29, 2020 at 4:49 am
Save 84% off the newsstand price! The 12 human beings who have walked on the moon were all bombarded by radiation roughly 200 times what we experience here on Earth, reports Adam Mann for Science.
- Global Radiation Shielding Glass Market Expected To Grow USD 246.6 Mn , Says Market.uson September 28, 2020 at 9:29 pm
The Global Radiation Shielding Glass Market is valued at 154.8 Million USD in 2018 is expected to reach 246.6 Million USD by the end of 2028, growing at a CAGR of 5.3% during 2020-2029. The report ...