A joint research team from POSTECH and Japan’s Shinshu University evaluates the filtration efficiency of nanofiber and melt-blown filters when cleaned with ethanol.
- As the COVID-19 pandemic spreads around the world, masks have become an essential personal hygiene product as the first line of defense to protect one’s respiratory system against the viruses and germs that spread through droplets in the air. It’s a waste to dispose the masks after single use but troubling to reuse them. In light of this, a Korea-Japan research team recently released findings that compare and analyze the performance and functional differences of the filters used in masks after they are cleaned with ethanol.
- The filtration efficiency of the melt-blown filter decreased by up to 64% when cleaned with ethanol solution and reused. On the other hand, the filtration efficiency of nanofiber filters when reused 10 times through ethanol spray cleaning or immersion in ethanol solution for 24 hours maintained nearly consistent high filtration efficiency.
- Nanofiber filters have better breathability because they have much higher heat and carbon dioxide emission capabilities compared to the melt-blown filters. Biosafety tests using human skin and vascular cells also confirmed no cytotoxicity.
via Pohang University of Science and Technology | Shinshu University
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Best face masks 2020: where to buy a face mask for wearing glasses, playing sports, lip reading, and moreon October 1, 2020 at 7:16 am
An in-built nosepiece can be adjusted for a snug fit (good news for glasses wearers), and there's a replaceable nanofiber filter. There are also kids' options.View Deal The best face masks for ...
- Coronavirus | Not wearing mask right can also attract fine of ₹1,000 in Karnataka - The Hinduon September 30, 2020 at 5:26 pm
While a fine of ₹1,000 will be slapped against those who do not wear masks in urban areas, violators in rural areas will have to pay ₹500.
- 700 to 750 cases recorded after lockdown relaxationon September 30, 2020 at 4:37 pm
However, to reduce the number of active cases, doctors say stringent protocol regarding wearing of masks and maintaining social distancing should be in place to ensure that the daily rise in the ...
- Gamma Biosciences Acquires Nanopareil to Advance Next-Generation Purification Capabilities of Astrea Bioseparationson September 30, 2020 at 4:01 pm
Next-generation nanofiber membrane to complement Astrea's ligand discovery capabilities and bioseparation products, expanding Gamma Biosciences' downstream purification offering - Novel ...
- The World's First Anti-Coronavirus Surgical Mask by Wakamonoon September 30, 2020 at 3:25 am
Nanoscience researchers have envisioned a new respirator facemask that would be highly efficient, recyclable, customizable, reusable, and have antimicrobial and antiviral properties.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Making for the world: India allows export of N95, FFP2 maskson October 6, 2020 at 10:17 pm
The Centre on October 6 revised its policy imposing curbs on the export of personal protective equipment such as N95 and FFP2 masks. This was notified by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT ...
- India lifts curbs on export of N95 maskson October 6, 2020 at 8:46 pm
The Union Commerce Ministry has lifted the restrictions on export of N95 masks. Post the decision, masks of all categories can be exported from India. "The export policy of N-95/FFP-2 masks or its ...
- Today’s top deals: NIOSH N95 masks, new early Prime Day deals, Anova sous vide cookers, $27 true wireless earbuds, moreon October 6, 2020 at 7:13 am
Harley 20 Packs Men Women Adult Costume Reusable Cotton Cloth Mask for Face Protection from Dus… $74.95 ($3.75 each) Available from Amazon ...
- Billable Defense: These Duckbill N95 Masks are the Latest Trend in Covid Protectionon October 5, 2020 at 10:22 pm
But with mask wearing guidelines looking like they’ll be in place for the foreseeable future, it’s time to upgrade to something more comfortable. Named after its unique duckbill-style shape, these ...
- 3M's efforts on counterfeit N95 mask crackdown leads to raids in Vietnam, U.A.E.on October 5, 2020 at 8:34 am
M continues to crack down on counterfeit N95 respirators, working with law enforcement agencies on more than 1,200 seizures and raids worldwide. Those actions include the combined seizures of over 800 ...