A new technique could help reduce antibiotic prescribing by predicting which drugs could be effective in fighting bacteria within minutes.
Scientists at the University of Exeter have developed the method, which allows users to see whether a bacterium is likely to respond to antibiotics. The research is currently in early stages of development, and the team hope the miniaturised devices they use for this research could one day be based in clinics, reducing the number of different antibiotics prescribed to patients.
The new technique uses a special microscope and a miniaturised device into which a sample of the bacteria is injected, along with the antibiotic. To date, the team has used the antibiotic ofloxacin, which glows fluorescent under ultraviolet light. Bacteria also glow when the antibiotic is taken up. However, if they remain dark, the antibiotic has no chance of working and killing the bacteria.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- New antibiotics: Turning to dirt in the fight against drug-resistant bacteriaon October 6, 2020 at 1:28 am
Dirt contains an entire microbial ecosystem, with a wealth of intriguing compounds. And while there are major hurdles between discovering a new drug and using it, scientists are hopeful new techniques ...
- Antibiotic resistance becoming a grave threat to healthon October 4, 2020 at 5:00 pm
From being miracle lifesavers, antibiotics are becoming ineffective against resistant infections, which can affect anyone, of any age, in any country. Antibiotics or antimicrobials are drugs that are ...
- Bennet, Young Introduce Legislation to Fight Antimicrobial Resistanceon October 2, 2020 at 10:10 am
Bennet, Young Introduce Legislation to Fight Antimicrobial Resistance. Bipartisan Bill Would Encourage Development of Innovative Antibiotics to Treat Resistant Infections and Impr ...
- Global Antibiotic Resistance Markets Report 2020: Top Selling Drugs 2011-2015 & Updated Forecast to 2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon October 2, 2020 at 3:29 am
Therapeutics By Pathogen and Therapy Type 2020 To 2024" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Global Antibiotic Resistance Markets Report 2020: Therapeutic Analysis 2017-2019 & 2020-2023 by Pathogen and Therapy Type with Situation Analysis - ResearchAndMarkets.comon October 2, 2020 at 1:32 am
The "Antibiotic Resistance Markets - Therapeutics By Pathogen and Therapy Type With Situation Analysis, Executive & Investor Guides & Customization 2019 to 2023" report has been added to ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Making bacteria glow
- How to get rid of body odour naturallyon October 4, 2020 at 1:51 am
Drinking a lot of water also helps to reduce chances of getting constipated, it helps clear your skin giving it a glow ... alter your body’s pH making it harder for bacteria to thrive.
- Week one: seven-day detoxon October 3, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Your new regime kicks off with a strict detox diet - great for helping you to lose a few pounds and give your skin a healthy glow ... acids that destroy 'bad' bacteria in the gut, encouraging ...
- My Life In Beauty: Liz Earleon October 2, 2020 at 1:46 am
From founding a botanical beauty brand to sharing the secrets of good gut health on her brilliant podcast, wellbeing expert Liz Earle has always taken the holistic route to looking (and feeling) great ...
- Build A Bioprinter From Very Old Inkjet Cartridgeson September 30, 2020 at 5:00 pm
That’s the bacteria better known as E. coli which can cause so many problems if it makes its way into our food. But the relative size and the fact that this strain was engineered to glow in the ...
- Is Hi-Tech Skin Care Worth the Price?on September 28, 2020 at 12:16 pm
Blue LED masks are effective at killing bacteria ... making it easier to remove it manually,” says Dr. Amanda Doyle from Russak Dermatology Clinic. “It can also give the skin a healthy glow ...