via Northwestern University
Smart sponge could clean up oil spills
- Sponge can absorb more than 30 times its weight in oil and be reused up to several dozen times
- Secret lies in its oleophilic, hydrophobic, magnetic (OHM) nanocomposite coating
- Process can turn any cheap sponge into a smart sponge for environmental remediation
- The team also is exploring the smart sponge for removing agricultural pollution from water
A Northwestern University-led team has developed a highly porous smart sponge that selectively soaks up oil in water.
With an ability to absorb more than 30 times its weight in oil, the sponge could be used to inexpensively and efficiently clean up oil spills without harming marine life. After squeezing the oil out of the sponge, it can be reused many dozens of times without losing its effectiveness.
“Oil spills have devastating and immediate effects on the environment, human health and economy,” said Northwestern’s Vinayak Dravid, who led the research. “Although many spills are small and may not make the evening news, they are still profoundly invasive to the ecosystem and surrounding community. Our sponge can remediate these spills in a more economic, efficient and eco-friendly manner than any of the current state-of-the-art solutions.”
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Goldfish Steal Show During Manhattan Beach Hometown Fair Partyon October 4, 2020 at 10:17 pm
Neighbors gather to enjoy their own commemorative Hometown Fair complete with fish tacos, libations, fair games... and goldfish.
- Industrial Separator Market | 2020 Global Growth Analysis, Size, Share, Future Plans and Forecast till 2026on September 28, 2020 at 4:50 am
The rising awareness about Industrial Separator Market across the world is transforming the energy and power industry.
- Check Out This Smart Sponge That Only Absorbs Oil Could Clean Up Oil Spillson September 24, 2020 at 10:04 am
A Northwestern University-led team created the 'OHM sponge,' which is able to soak up 30 times its weight in oil and be reused up to several dozen times. The coating allows any regular sponge to be ...
- Check Out This Smart Sponge That Only Absorbs Oil Could Clean Up Oil Spillson September 24, 2020 at 6:38 am
The coating allows any regular sponge to be easily turned into an oil-cleaning 'smart sponge.' ...
- There is no mantra to avoid rejections, accept it and become better in life, says Ambi Parameswaran in new bookon September 23, 2020 at 9:49 pm
Parameswaran, a branding and marketing expert and author, recently launched a book, ‘Spring: Bouncing Back From Rejection’, targeting mainly millennials. The book deals with rejections, failures, ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Oleophilic hydrophobic magnetic nanocomposite coating
- Feed has no items.