This image shows disodium terephthalate flowers produced from polyethylene terephthalate via microwave processing in two minutes
New battery technology involving microwaves may provide an avenue for renewable energy conversion and storage.
Purdue University researchers created a technique to turn waste polyethylene terephthalate, one of the most recyclable polymers, into components of batteries.
“We use an ultrafast microwave irradiation process to turn PET, or polyethylene terephthalate, flakes into disodium terephthalate, and use that as battery anode material,” said Vilas Pol, a Purdue associate professor of chemical engineering who has worked with the Purdue Research Foundation Office of Technology Commercialization to develop several battery technologies. “We are helping to address the growth in the proliferation of renewable energy conversion and storage, which stems from the societal attention and increasing awareness of climate change and energy resource limitation.”
The Purdue team tried the approach with both lithium-ion and sodium-ion battery cells. They worked with researchers from the Indian Institute of Technology and Tufts University. The battery technology is presented in the journal ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering.
Pol said that while lithium-ion technology is currently dominating both the portable electronics and electric vehicles market, sodium-ion battery research also has gained significant attention due to its low cost and appealing electrochemical performance in grid applications.
“The applicability of the microwave technique on organic reactions has gained attention in recent times due to its advantage of the rapid reaction process,” Pol said. “We have accomplished the complete conversion of PET to disodium terephthalate within 120 seconds, in a typical household microwave setup.”
Pol said the materials used in the Purdue technology are low-cost, sustainable and recyclable.
For more information on licensing and other opportunities with Pol’s battery technologies, contact OTC at [email protected].
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
New battery technology
- What to expect from Apple's 'Hi, Speed' new 'iPhone 12' event on October 13on October 6, 2020 at 6:15 pm
Apple's second fall special event, "Hi, Speed," has been announced , and is expected to feature new "iPhone 12" models alongside some other products. Here's what Apple could offer up during the ...
- iPhone 12 launch date: Apple's virtual event for its expected 5G smartphone is Oct. 13on October 6, 2020 at 11:59 am
The iPhone maker's biggest event of the year shifts online as 5G is expected to be main new iPhone 12 feature.
- Apple iPhone 12: Price, Oct. 13 announcement, 5G, plus rumors of a 'Mini' surpriseon October 6, 2020 at 9:59 am
Curious what Apple is planning for the iPhone 12? We've rounded up all of the leaks and rumors so you don't have to hunt them down.
- Microsoft Launches Surface Laptop Go And Improves Windows 10 On ARM User Experienceon October 6, 2020 at 8:25 am
Ranked Industry Analyst Patrick Moorhead gives his take on earlier this week, Microsoft unveiled its newest addition to the Surface lineup, the Microsoft Surface Laptop Go.
- Does This Underappreciated Catalyst Make Apple Stock a Buy?on October 6, 2020 at 7:35 am
Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) has been in the spotlight recently. Not only has its stock soared over the past year, but the company also launched new products last month, including new versions of its Apple ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
New battery technology
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Renewable energy conversion and storage
- Poland's Largest Hybrid Battery Energy Storage System Commence Full-scale Technology Demonstrationon October 4, 2020 at 6:08 pm
The project aims to contribute to further integration of renewable energy in Poland ... control of these two types of storage batteries, and the PCS (Power Conversion System), a 6 MW power ...
- Poland's Largest Hybrid Battery Energy Storage System Commence Full-scale Technology Demonstrationon October 4, 2020 at 6:03 pm
Increasing the power grid security and facilitating the introduction of renewable energy through a hybrid battery energy storage system -TOKYO, Oct 2, 2020 - (J) ...
- New Case Study On Renewable Energy Market by Emerging Trends, Share, Growth Rate, Opportunities And Market Forecast To 2027on October 1, 2020 at 7:01 pm
Global Renewable Energy market is expected to grow at significant CAGR over the forecast period. The market is expected to improve due to rapid innovations in technology in order to address the need ...
- This New Approach Could Make 1 Company a Better Battery Beton October 1, 2020 at 7:12 am
However, solar and wind can't supply "baseload power," the always-there, minimum level of electricity needed to keep things running.Â Enter grid energy storage: large battery systems that store ...
- Energy Storage and Power Conversion System (PCS) Test Regulations and Requirementson September 25, 2020 at 10:05 am
Currently, renewable energy accounts for 26.5% of all power sources ... In this webinar, you will learn about Energy Storage Systems and Power Conversion Systems and their applications. You will also ...