(From left) Yuichi Aihara, Principal Engineer from SRJ, Yong-Gun Lee, Principal Researcher and Dongmin Im, Master from SAIT
On March 9 in London, researchers from the Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology (SAIT) and the Samsung R&D Institute Japan (SRJ) presented a study on high-performance, long-lasting all-solid-state batteries to Nature Energy, one of the world’s leading scientific journals.
Compared to widely used lithium-ion batteries, which utilize liquid electrolytes, all-solid-state batteries support greater energy density, which opens the door for larger capacities, and utilize solid electrolytes, which are demonstrably safer. However, the lithium metal anodes that are frequently used in all-solid-state batteries, are prone to trigger the growth of dendrites which can produce undesirable side effects that reduce a battery’s lifespan and safety.
To overcome those effects, Samsung’s researchers proposed utilizing, for the first time, a silver-carbon (Ag-C) composite layer as the anode. The team found that incorporating an Ag-C layer into a prototype pouch cell enabled the battery to support a larger capacity, a longer cycle life, and enhanced its overall safety. Measuring just 5µm (micrometers) thick, the ultrathin Ag-C nanocomposite layer allowed the team to reduce anode thickness and increase energy density up to 900Wh/L. It also enabled them to make their prototype approximately 50 percent smaller by volume than a conventional lithium-ion battery.
This promising research is expected to help drive the expansion of electric vehicles (EVs). The prototype pouch cell that the team developed would enable an EV to travel up to 800km on a single charge, and features a cycle life of over 1,000 charges.
As Dongmin Im, Master at SAIT’s Next Generation Battery Lab and the leader of the project explained, “The product of this study could be a seed technology for safer, high-performance batteries of the future. Going forward, we will continue to develop and refine all-solid-state battery materials and manufacturing technologies to help take EV battery innovation to the next level.”
From a Samsung press release
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Nippon Shokubai Enhance Facilities for Lithium-ion Battery Electrolyte Ionel(TM) (LiFSI)on October 7, 2020 at 12:00 am
Nippon Shokubai Co., Ltd., headquartered in Osaka, has decided to begin facility design of new electrolytes "Ionel(TM)--Lithium ...
- Green Science Alliance Developed Lithium Sulfur Battery as Next Generation Rechargeable Batteryon October 6, 2020 at 5:34 am
Rechargeable batteries are a very important device because they can store electricity produced by sustainable energy such as wind power, ...
- Global Motorcycle Battery Chargers Market Growth Data Analysis 2020-2025on September 29, 2020 at 10:25 pm
The report is an all-inclusive research study of the global Motorcycle Battery Chargers market taking into account the growth factors, recent trends, developments, opportunities, and competitive ...
- New Self-Charging Battery Eyed for Electronic Deviceson September 28, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Having these two co-exist in the same battery is significant because it unifies the theory behind all solid-state devices—which include not only batteries but also capacitors, photovoltaics, and ...
- Borate-based passivation layers enables reversible calcium batterieson September 28, 2020 at 2:07 pm
A study published in the journal Energy and Environmental Science has combined experimental and theoretical approaches to study the passivation layers formed on calcium metal electrodes and their ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Billion Dollar Hazardous Goods Logistics Market Led by Improving Lithium Battery Safety Protocolson October 6, 2020 at 5:55 am
Lithium batteries are in products we use every day and can be labeled as 'dangerous goods' when transported on aircraft if not packed ...
- KULR Technology Group Partners with Airbus to Provide Battery Safety Solutionson October 6, 2020 at 5:30 am
KULR Technology Group, Inc. (OTCQB:KULR), (the "Company" or "KULR") today announces it is partnering with Airbus Defense and ...
- Nouveau Monde and Forge Nano Sign a Collaboration Agreement for Advanced Coatings for Li-Ion Battery Anode Materialon October 6, 2020 at 12:30 am
Coating of Nouveau Monde's spherical graphite represents the final and most advanced step in the value chain of battery anode material, generating attractive profit ...
- Does Tesla’s Lithium Announcement Mean All Battery Makers Are Set To Become Miners?on October 4, 2020 at 4:43 am
Tesla’s recent ‘Battery Day’ announcements only highlight the incredible challenges facing the electricity storage market, and raise significant questions about how the market will evolve.
- The role of solid state chemistry in the development of metal-ion batterieson October 2, 2020 at 9:16 am
Professors from the Skoltech Center for Energy Science and Technology (CEST), Lomonosov Moscow State University and College de France shared their vision on the importance of solid state chemistry in ...