credit: NIOSH / CDC
A reusable respirator
Shortages of respiratory protective devices for healthcare personnel are major concerns during the COVID-19 pandemic. A team of researchers at Baylor College of Medicine, Emory University, the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Centers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have found that reusable respirators may be a suitable alternative to disposable N95 respirators currently in high demand. The study appears in the journal JAMA.
“Training and fit testing healthcare providers on respirators can be time consuming, and in an epidemic we want to train and fit test a large number of workers quickly,” said first and corresponding author Dr. Lisa A. Pompeii, professor of pediatrics – epidemiology at Baylor.
In this study, the researchers compared the time it takes to fit test and train healthcare personnel in the use of disposable respirators versus reusable elastomeric half-mask respirators that provide the same level of respiratory protection as N95 respirators. They found that healthcare personnel learned to use the reusable respirator quickly and that it took no more time to fit test them than it would take a disposable respirator.
“Our study shows that training and fit testing workers on these reusable respirators does not represent a barrier for possible use by hospitals,” Pompeii said. “An advantage of reusable respirators is that there is no need to stockpile them.”
More information is needed to understand how best to disinfect elastomeric respirators in healthcare delivery settings, which Pompeii, her colleagues and others are studying.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Eco-friendly Reusable Mask With Washable Polymer Filter, Vo Guard Is Now on Kickstarteron October 6, 2020 at 7:15 am
Vault Creation is funding for Vo Guard, a respiratory protection mask with an eco-friendly polymer filter, through Kickstarter.
- What Makes N95 and KN95 the Gold Standard of Maskson October 3, 2020 at 10:47 am
Through a grant from the National Science Foundation, he and his team are working to develop reusable N95 respirators that can be decontaminated with ultraviolet light. In particular, he’s ...
- People will be wearing respirators by 2021. I tried wearing one for a weekon October 3, 2020 at 6:05 am
Looking at the huge stack of poorly fitting reusable face masks I have in my entryway made me realize how much a well-fitting respirator could be a game changer for both public health and the ...
- Which masks should be used at school and when? State shares new COVID-19 guidanceon October 2, 2020 at 9:15 am
The guidance helps school districts determine which masks and personal protective equipment staff should wear depending on their duties.
- Global N95 Mask Market to Hit USD 1,890.3 Million by 2026 – Zion Market Researchon September 30, 2020 at 8:50 pm
The N represents respirator rating and stands for non-oil. The number 95 represents percent efficiency. The material used in making the mask is an electrostatic non-woven polypropylene fiber. This ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Using American-made PPE will help to prevent shortages as nation braces for second Covid-waveon October 6, 2020 at 9:01 am
Members of the House and Senate have seen the need to boost the national stockpile with PPE that is made in America. Failure to do so would only exacerbate the problems when our healthcare system is ...
- First reusable N99 mask manufactured and distributed in Canadaon October 6, 2020 at 6:32 am
With the pandemic's second wave, mass production of Dorma 99 masks will help meet the protection needs of Canadian healthcare workers ...
- First reusable, environmentally friendly N99 mask manufactured and distributed in Canadaon October 6, 2020 at 4:09 am
With the arrival of the pandemic's second wave, mass production of Dorma 99 masks will help meet the protection needs of Canadian healthcare workersMONTREAL, Oct. 6, 2020 /CNW Telbec/ - Dorma Filtrati ...
- B2B supply face mask, medical coverall disposable, surgical isolation gown (FDA, CE) at manufactureron October 4, 2020 at 10:26 am
GARMENT MANUFACTURER SUPPLIER DONY is THRILLING the GLOBAL MARKET by EXPORTING COVID REUSABLE FACE MASK and PPE - Protective clothing. DONY expands to include Full Line of Protective Equipment GARMENT ...
- Face masks and reusable PPE created using Thermaissance technology is successfully inactivating coronavirus and pneumoniaon October 2, 2020 at 11:50 pm
Thermaissance has already launched Reusable Face Masks, Reusable PPE, Medical Scrubs, Surgical Gowns and Patient Clothing. They are soon launching Reusable Gloves.