Can your AI agent judge when to talk to you while you are driving? According to a KAIST research team, their in-vehicle conservation service technology will judge when it is appropriate to contact you to ensure your safety.
Professor Uichin Lee from the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at KAIST and his research team have developed AI technology that automatically detects safe moments for AI agents to provide conversation services to drivers.
Their research focuses on solving the potential problems of distraction created by in-vehicle conversation services. If an AI agent talks to a driver at an inopportune moment, such as while making a turn, a car accident will be more likely to occur.
In-vehicle conversation services need to be convenient as well as safe. However, the cognitive burden of multitasking negatively influences the quality of the service. Users tend to be more distracted during certain traffic conditions. To address this long-standing challenge of the in-vehicle conversation services, the team introduced a composite cognitive model that considers both safe driving and auditory-verbal service performance and used a machine-learning model for all collected data.
The combination of these individual measures is able to determine the appropriate moments for conversation and most appropriate types of conversational services. For instance, in the case of delivering simple-context information, such as a weather forecast, driver safety alone would be the most appropriate consideration. Meanwhile, when delivering information that requires a driver response, such as a “Yes” or “No,” the combination of driver safety and auditory-verbal performance should be considered.
The research team developed a prototype of an in-vehicle conversation service based on a navigation app that can be used in real driving environments. The app was also connected to the vehicle to collect in-vehicle OBD-II/CAN data, such as the steering wheel angle and brake pedal position, and mobility and environmental data such as the distance between successive cars and traffic flow.
Using pseudo-conversation services, the research team collected a real-world driving dataset consisting of 1,388 interactions and sensor data from 29 drivers who interacted with AI conversational agents. Machine learning analysis based on the dataset demonstrated that the opportune moments for driver interruption could be correctly inferred with 87% accuracy.
The safety enhancement technology developed by the team is expected to minimize driver distractions caused by in-vehicle conversation services. This technology can be directly applied to current in-vehicle systems that provide conversation services. It can also be extended and applied to the real-time detection of driver distraction problems caused by the use of a smartphone while driving.
Professor Lee said, “In the near future, cars will proactively deliver various in-vehicle conversation services. This technology will certainly help vehicles interact with their drivers safely as it can fairly accurately determine when to provide conversation services using only basic sensor data generated by cars.”
The researchers presented their findings at the ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing (Ubicomp’19) in London, UK. This research was supported in part by Hyundai NGV and by the Next-Generation Information Computing Development Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Science and ICT.
The Latest on: Vehicle AI
- Deep-AI Launches Industry-First Integrated AI Training and Inference Solution for the Edgeon October 7, 2020 at 7:15 am
AI Technologies is emerging from stealth and launching the industry’s first integrated training and inference solution for deep learning at the edge. With Deep-AI, every inference node at the edge ...
- Nexen touts AI-based technology to cut tire, vehicle noiseon October 7, 2020 at 6:31 am
Nexen Tire Co. Ltd. has developed an artificial intelligence-based technology that it claims will allow it to reduce both tire noise and pass-by noise generated by cars and tires. The company said the ...
- OMNIQ’s AI Solution to Integrate with Zebra Technologies in Creating an Advanced Logistics Yard Management Systemon October 7, 2020 at 4:13 am
OMNIQ’s AI-based machine vision technology to be used in Zebra MotionWorks location solution to increase efficiency of yard logistics ...
- AI Startup Vestun Launches Hedge Fund Navigating Market Turbulenceon October 6, 2020 at 11:41 pm
Swiss-based AI company Vestun opens its market agnostic hedge fund strategy to new outside investors. Vestun Swiss-based AI company Vestun opens its market agnostic hedge fund strategy to new outside ...
- The present and the future of supply chain is AIon October 6, 2020 at 9:27 pm
By Saroj Tripathi, Vice President, Bristlecone Inc. Saroj is a supply chain thought leader with more than two decades of experience in partnering with global organizations in their journey to ...
- OSS Presents AI on the Fly® and Data Center in the Sky™ Solutions at NVIDIA’s GPU Technology ...on October 6, 2020 at 5:31 am
(Nasdaq: OSS), a leader in specialized high-performance edge computing, presented its AI on the Fly® and Data Center in the Sky™ products and solutions at this week’s GPU Technology Conference, a ...
- Binghamton researchers blend different AI systems for better autonomous drivingon October 5, 2020 at 2:17 pm
Autonomous vehicles require the smartest artificial intelligence to navigate busy streets without causing traffic accidents — and a new paper from Binghamton University combines two ideas to better ...
- Einride raises $10 million to fast track its autonomous electric cargo podson October 4, 2020 at 1:05 pm
Swedish startup Einride has captured interest, investment and even a few customer contracts for its unusual-looking pods — electric and autonomous vehicles that are designed to carry freight. But ...
- Air Street Capital: AI industry remains strong despite academic brain drain, tech nationalizationon October 1, 2020 at 12:00 pm
Air Street Capital's annual State of AI report finds that despite challenges, the AI industry remains strong heading into 2020.
- Fast-Tracking AI Ethics Is Dicey And Shortsighted, Especially For Self-Driving Carson October 1, 2020 at 8:38 am
There seems to be quite a rush to get AI systems out-the-door these days. Unfortunately, there is a devilish price to be paid in such a rush to judgment and the associated misguided assumption that ...
via Bing News
The Latest on: AI agents
- Serviceaide Releases Industry First Knowledge-Centered Virtual Agenton October 6, 2020 at 10:37 pm
Centered Virtual Agent By CIOReview - Luma addresses these challenges using AI technologies like natural language processing and machine learning to serve up ...
- How conversational AI is shaping the future of bankingon October 6, 2020 at 10:26 pm
Adapt to customer needs Conversational artificial intelligence (AI) is the backbone of digital employees, which differ from chatbots in a number of ways, starting with their ability to handle customer ...
- AI researchers challenge a robot to ride a skateboard in simulationon October 6, 2020 at 8:46 am
Nvidia AI researchers say they've created a framework for controlling four-legged robots that promises better energy efficiency and adaptability.
- Kore.ai Eyes Major Growth for Conversational AI in Asia-Pacific; Opens Office in Japanon October 6, 2020 at 4:30 am
ORLANDO, FL and TOKYO, JAPAN / ACCESSWIRE / October 6, 2020 / Kore.ai, a market-leading Enterprise Conversational AI/Digital App Technology Platform and Virtual Assistant Solutions company, has ...
- UMaine researchers are developing AI to identify birds in aerial photoson October 5, 2020 at 12:31 pm
The project recently received $43,000 from the UMaine AI Initiative seed grant funding program, and builds on previous grants and partnerships involving UMaine faculty and state and federal agency ...
- neXt Posts AI-Created Trailer Expected to Haunt Our Dreams for Dayson October 5, 2020 at 11:02 am
With FOX's tech thriller/mystery neXt premiering this week, check out this AI-created trailer we're sure will haunt our dreams for days.
- CINC Goes All In on Lead Engagement and Conversion with the Introduction of CINC AIon October 5, 2020 at 9:00 am
CINC ( the number one lead generation and conversion platform for elite agents and teams, today announced the release of the industry’s most innovative communication tool: CINC AI. Built with ...
- Why AI can’t ever reach its full potential without a physical bodyon October 5, 2020 at 6:40 am
It would seem that there are no areas that are beyond improvement by AI – no tasks that cannot be automated, no problems that can’t at least be helped by an AI application. But is this strictly true?
- 4 Ways That AI Is Improving the Customer Experienceon October 5, 2020 at 6:22 am
As one of the leading trends in technology, Artificial Intelligence (AI) continues to gain in popularity for marketers and sales professionals, and has grown to be an essential tool for brands that ...
- Cloud AI Can Help You Survive The Stormon October 5, 2020 at 4:24 am
As you work to better understand and take action to improve user experiences and drive business outcomes, take care in your implementation and the use cases to which you apply AI.
via Bing News