The storage of energy for long periods of time is subject to special challenges. An IIASA researcher proposes using a combination of Mountain Gravity Energy Storage (MGES) and hydropower as a solution for this issue.
Batteries are https://www.innovationtoronto.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/MMSE.jpgrapidly becoming less expensive and might soon offer a cheap short-term solution to store energy for daily energy needs. However, the long-term storage capabilities of batteries, for example, in a yearly cycle, will not be economically viable. Although pumped-hydro storage (PHS) technologies are an economically feasible choice for long-term energy storage with large capacities – higher than 50 megawatts (MW) – it becomes expensive for locations where the demand for energy storage is often smaller than 20 MW with monthly or seasonal requirements, such as small islands and remote locations.
In a study published in the journal Energy, IIASA researcher Julian Hunt and his colleagues propose MGES to close the gap between existing short- and long-term storage technologies. MGES constitutes of building cranes on the edge of a steep mountain with enough reach to transport sand (or gravel) from a storage site located at the bottom to a storage site at the top. A motor/generator moves storage vessels filled with sand from the bottom to the top, similar to a ski lift. During this process, potential energy is stored. Electricity is generated by lowering sand from the upper storage site back to the bottom. If there are river streams on the mountain, the MGES system can be combined with hydropower, where the water would be used to fill the storage vessels in periods of high availability instead of the sand or gravel, thus generating energy. MGES systems have the benefit that the water could be added at any height of the system, thereby increasing the possibility of catching water from different heights in the mountain, which is not possible in conventional hydropower.
“One of the benefits of this system is that sand is cheap and, unlike water, it does not evaporate – so you never lose potential energy and it can be reused innumerable times. This makes it particularly interesting for dry regions,” notes Hunt. “Additionally, PHS plants are limited to a height difference of 1,200 meters, due to very high hydraulic pressures. MGES plants could have height differences of more than 5,000 meters. Regions with high mountains, for example, the Himalayas, Alps, and Rocky Mountains, could therefore become important long-term energy storage hubs. Other interesting locations for MGES are islands, such as Hawaii, Cape Verde, Madeira, and the Pacific Islands with steep mountainous terrain.”
In the paper, the authors propose a future energy matrix for the Molokai Island in Hawaii, using only wind, solar, batteries, and MGES to supply the island’s energy demand. Hunt emphasizes that the MGES technology should not be used for peak generation or storing energy in daily cycles – instead it fills a gap in the market for locations with long-term storage. MGES systems can, for instance, store energy continuously for months and then generate power continuously for months or when there is water available for hydropower, while batteries deal with the daily storage cycles.
“It is important to note that the MGES technology does not replace any current energy storage options but rather opens up new ways of storing energy and harnessing untapped hydropower potential in regions with high mountains,” Hunt concludes.
Learn more: Using mountains for long-term energy storage
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Mountain Gravity Energy Storage
The Latest Bing News on:
Mountain Gravity Energy Storage
- New shortcut enables faster creation of spin pattern in magneton October 5, 2020 at 11:01 am
The researchers have discovered that you can take a 'shortcut' through the mountain ... data storage. There is an increasing need for this, for example due to the gigantic, energy-guzzling data ...
- Can You Store Renewable Energy In A Big Pile Of Gravel?on October 3, 2020 at 5:00 pm
When you consider the cost of these installations and their storage capacities, there is a gap between batteries and pumped hydro. A recently published whitepaper proposes Mountain Gravity Energy ...
- To Save the Climate, Give Up the Demand for Constant Electricityon October 1, 2020 at 6:50 am
Waiting to ensure uninterrupted power for everyone as we transition away from fossil fuels will cost too much time—and too many lives.
- The Elusive Peril ofon September 21, 2020 at 3:19 am
For decades, the International Space Station has been hovering over Earth, in an orbit somewhere between two hundred and three hundred miles above sea level. Its massive rectilinear structure, ...
- Dictionary of Water Termson August 15, 2020 at 3:42 pm
acequia--acequias are gravity-driven waterways ... on a delta, or at the base of a mountain. appropriation doctrine--the system for allocating water to private individuals used in most Western states.
- Cycling carbon: seeing how plants use carbon dioxide in the lab (teacher’s notes)on April 23, 2019 at 9:19 am
Carbon cycle: releasing dinosaur breath in the lab; a short pupil practical exploring the storage of carbon in the fossils that ... Earthquake A sudden release of energy caused by rock material ...
- Tracking Water Using NASA Satellite Dataon May 18, 2018 at 6:25 pm
In fact, the previous GRACE spacecraft measured a weakening gravity ... water storage, the amount of water in large lakes and rivers, as well as changes in sea level and ocean currents, provides a ...
- The Shape of Wateron April 24, 2018 at 9:33 am
But Amazon still needs the city’s water: It cools the company’s fusion energy generators ... among the flattest big cities in the world, so gravity doesn’t help funnel water away, explains ...
- Public Noticeson December 7, 2017 at 4:22 pm
874530 Public Notice Energize Connecticut in partnership with Connecticut Light and Power Company and Yankee Gas Service Company (both dba Eversource Energy), United Illuminating (UI), Southern ...
- How the Pogo Stick Leapt From Classic Toy to Extreme Sporton January 15, 2014 at 5:59 am
Recently, three inventors have created powerful new gravity-defying machines that ... “He’d be talking in these scientific terms about storage and energy and thrust and per-pound blah, blah ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- What's on the Energy Storage Market Besides Lithium-Ion Batteries, Asks IDTechEx Researchon October 7, 2020 at 7:17 am
In this first part of a series of articles from IDTechEx, an overview of the flow batteries characteristics is provided, extrapolated ...
- Energy Toolbase Integrates its Controls Software with BYD's Energy Storage Solutionon October 7, 2020 at 5:38 am
Energy Toolbase has integrated its energy storage controls software with BYD (Build Your Dreams), a global leader in battery and energy ...
- United States Utility-Scale Energy Storage Market 2020: Utility-Scale Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) has Started to Play an Important Roleon October 7, 2020 at 3:45 am
Scale Energy Storage Market" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. This report provides a current look at the utility-scale energy storage market in the United States amidst the ...
- Energy Storage Systems Market SWOT Analysis by Size, Status and Forecast to 2026: Samsung SDI, General Electric, Teslaon October 6, 2020 at 3:31 pm
Energy Storage Systems Market SWOT Analysis by Size, Status and Forecast to 2026. This press release was orginally distributed by SBWire. Edison, NJ -- -- 10/06/2020 -- The Energy ...
- Generate Capital Provides Alturus With $600 Million for Energy-Efficiency Projectson October 6, 2020 at 9:00 am
Alturus finances, develops and runs sustainable corporate infrastructure projects such as energy-storage systems and power generators.
- Hydrogen embrittlement creates complications for clean energy storage, transportationon October 6, 2020 at 8:34 am
hydrogen is becoming a crucial pillar in the clean energy movement. Developing safe and cost-effective storage and transportation methods for hydrogen is essential but complicated given the ...
- California Sees Zinc As Likely Successor To Lithium-Ion In Energy Storageon October 5, 2020 at 9:04 pm
As it strives for 100-percent clean energy by 2045, California is shifting its attention from lithium-ion batteries to zinc energy-storage technologies that can provide a charge longer.
- Eos Energy Storage Expands Battery Deployments in Nigeriaon October 5, 2020 at 9:05 am
Eos Energy Storage LLC ("Eos"), a leading manufacturer of safe, low-cost and long-duration zinc battery storage systems, today announced an expansion of its partnership with Nayo Tropical Technology ...
- How California Wildfires Are Driving Energy Storage Beyond Lithium-Ionon October 4, 2020 at 9:02 pm
When California is on fire, it needs batteries that can keep a home, a hospital, a fire station, a community center running longer than the four-hour standard of lithium-ion.
- Poland's Largest Hybrid Battery Energy Storage System Commence Full-scale Technology Demonstrationon October 4, 2020 at 6:03 pm
Increasing the power grid security and facilitating the introduction of renewable energy through a hybrid battery energy storage system -TOKYO, Oct 2, 2020 - (J) ...