Lab’s ‘green’ invention reduces carbon dioxide into valuable fuels
A common greenhouse gas could be repurposed in an efficient and environmentally friendly way with an electrolyzer that uses renewable electricity to produce pure liquid fuels.
The catalytic reactor developed by the Rice University lab of chemical and biomolecular engineer Haotian Wang uses carbon dioxide as its feedstock and, in its latest prototype, produces highly purified and high concentrations of formic acid.
Formic acid produced by traditional carbon dioxide devices needs costly and energy-intensive purification steps, Wang said. The direct production of pure formic acid solutions will help to promote commercial carbon dioxide conversion technologies.
The method is detailed in Nature Energy.
Wang, who joined Rice’s Brown School of Engineering in January, and his group pursue technologies that turn greenhouse gases into useful products. In tests, the new electrocatalyst reached an energy conversion efficiency of about 42%. That means nearly half of the electrical energy can be stored in formic acid as liquid fuel.
“Formic acid is an energy carrier,” Wang said. “It’s a fuel-cell fuel that can generate electricity and emit carbon dioxide — which you can grab and recycle again.
“It’s also fundamental in the chemical engineering industry as a feedstock for other chemicals, and a storage material for hydrogen that can hold nearly 1,000 times the energy of the same volume of hydrogen gas, which is difficult to compress,” he said. “That’s currently a big challenge for hydrogen fuel-cell cars.”
The Latest on: CO2 to fuel
via Google News
The Latest on: CO2 to fuel
- Sole survivor? Saudi Aramco doubles down on oil to outlast rivalson October 7, 2020 at 1:23 pm
The slump in demand for crude during the coronavirus pandemic has forced oil companies to contemplate the possibility that the fossil fuel market has peaked and the time for a global energy transition ...
- Global Fuel Cell Market (2020 to 2025) - by Type, End-user, Application, Region and Countryon October 7, 2020 at 11:11 am
The "Global Fuel Cell Market (Value, Volume) - Analysis by Type, by End User, by Application, by Region, by Country (2020 Edition): Market Insights and Outlook Post Covid-19 Pandemic (2020-2025)" ...
- INSIGHT-Sole survivor? Saudi Aramco doubles down on oil to outlast rivalson October 7, 2020 at 1:31 am
Hopes to outlast rivals with its low costs - sources * Aramco reviews ambitious downstream expansion - sources * Aramco says it expects long-term oil demand growth (Edits, adds quotes and details) By ...
- JR East, Hitachi and Toyota to Develop Hybrid (Fuel Cell) Railway Vehicles Powered by Hydrogenon October 5, 2020 at 10:29 pm
East Japan Railway Company, Hitachi, Ltd., and Toyota Motor Corporation have entered into an agreement to collaborate on the development of test railway vehicles equipped with hybrid systems that use ...
- Scientist maps carbon dioxide emissions for entire US to improve environmental policy-makingon October 5, 2020 at 9:38 am
With intense wildfires in the western U.S. and frequent, intense hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico, the nation is again affected by extreme weather-related events resulting from climate change. In ...
- Scientist maps CO2 emissions for entire US to improve environmental policymakingon October 5, 2020 at 9:03 am
With wildfires in the West and hurricanes in the Gulf, the nation is affected by extreme weather-related events resulting from climate change. In response, lawmakers across the country are developing ...
- Roskill: CO2 emissions from lithium production set to triple by 2025on October 5, 2020 at 4:17 am
In the journey towards reducing the CO2¬ footprint of refined lithium production, there is still progress to be made as demand is set to soar over the coming decade. In recent years, the lithium ...
- Shipping Industry Unveils Fuel Cell Pilot Project to Reduce Emissions 40 Percent or Moreon October 2, 2020 at 10:25 am
Partners from The shipping industry, R&D and oil and gas are constructing a pilot system for technology that can use multiple types of fuel, including green ammonia and liquefied natural gas (LNG).
- 2 million tons of CO2 saved every year by converting ag waste to auto fuelon September 29, 2020 at 7:17 am
An independent assessor recently verified that each New Energy Blue biomass refinery can be expected to keep 2,000,000 tons of carbon ...
- Europe Coal to Liquid Fuel Market Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2021 - 2026 | Impact of COVID-19 Pandemicon September 29, 2020 at 12:59 am
Around 45 percent of its vitality are being created in the European Union, while the remainder of the vitality ...
via Bing News