A research team of Tohoku University, Nissan Motor Co., Shinshu University, and Okayama University made a groundbreaking discovery in the quest to replace hydrofluorocarbons in refrigeration systems with natural refrigerants such as water and alcohol.
Their study involved carrying-out a liquid-to-gas phase transition via a nanosponge, a soft, elastic material equipped with small nanopores less than 10 nanometers. Their findings could lead to more efficient refrigerants with a smaller carbon footprint.
Refrigeration systems are widely used in air conditioners and refrigerators. Conventional systems use hydrofluorocarbons as a refrigerant. However, hydrofluorocarbons are super pollutants. Their Global Warming Potential is about 1300 times higher than that of CO2.
The team of researchers successfully carried out a force-driven liquid-to-gas phase transition using a nanosponge. When a normal, wet sponge is squeezed, naturally, water is expected to come out. However, when using a nanosponge with a pore size of under 10 nanometers, a different phenomenon occurs. Even under low pressure, the sponge retains its liquid.
When applying force, however, the expelled liquid immediately evaporates into gas. Furthermore, as the sponge returns to its natural shape, it adsorbs the gas as a liquid into the nanopores again.
Until now, researchers have not carried out the squeezing process of nanoporous materials because conventional materials are too hard to be deformed. Nevertheless, the team circumvented this by creating their own soft, elastic, nanoporous materials, consisting of a single-layer of graphene walls. They measured their results using a home-made equipment designed to monitor liquid-gas phase transition when mechanical force is applied.
The team thought about the squeezing method after developing soft nanoporous materials. But even they could not anticipate their prediction becoming reality at the first attempt.
To date, there have been only two methods of converting trapped liquid into gas: i. heating or ii. decreasing the gas-phase pressure. The squeezing method provides a third way, generating a new theme in the field of physical chemistry and paving the path for more environmentally friendly refrigeration systems. Cool stuff!
The Latest on: Refrigeration
via Google News
The Latest on: Refrigeration
- Six refrigeration features you probably didn’t know existedon October 7, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Whether it’s watching TV on your fridge door or seeing inside just by knocking on it, fridges and freezers are now full of innovative features. Which? looks at six of the most unique ones.
- Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market Growth at 3% CAGR between 2020 and 2030: P&S Intelligenceon October 7, 2020 at 3:41 am
From 782 million in 2016, the urban population of China will rise to 1.4 billion by 2025. Similarly, in India, this number would increase to 1.4 billion by 2023-end, from 438 million in 2016. Compared ...
- From refrigeration technician to dairy farm manageron October 6, 2020 at 7:17 pm
A South Canterbury dairy farm manager has credited his "do the mahi, get the treats" success story to the assistance of others. A qualified refrigeration technician by trade, Alex Pattullo took a turn ...
- Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market to reach USD 12.39 billion by 2024, AB Electrolux and Ali Group Srl emerge as a Keyon October 5, 2020 at 7:45 am
Technavio Business Wire LOND ...
- Commercial Refrigeration and Freezing Equipment Market Size Growing at 4.6% CAGR to Cross USD 22810 million by 2025on September 30, 2020 at 5:46 pm
Selbyville, Delaware According to this study, over the next five years the Commercial Refrigeration and Freezing Equipment market will register a 4.6%% CAGR in terms of revenue, the global market size ...
- Single-dose antibacterial ear drops don't require refrigerationon September 30, 2020 at 4:11 pm
Outer ear infections can get serious if left untreated, which is exactly what may happen in places lacking infrastructure. A new medication could help, though, as it's applied in just one dose, and it ...
- Global Refrigeration Condenser Market 2020 Business Strategies, Product Sales and Growth Rate, Assessment to 2029on September 30, 2020 at 7:04 am
Prudour Pvt. Ltd :Market.us delivers granular analysis of Refrigeration Condenser Market 2020 Along With Covid-19 Impact Analysis, Advancement And Outlook 2029, which includes global industry analysis ...
- Tecogen bags order for Tecofrost refrigeration compressoron September 30, 2020 at 6:37 am
Tecogen (OTC:TGEN) announces the sale of a Tecofrost natural gas engine driven refrigeration compressor to a food processing facility in Connecticut.
- Tecogen Announces Order for Tecofrost Refrigeration Compressoron September 30, 2020 at 6:00 am
The food processing facility has an existing electric compressor system for refrigeration and cooling requirements to which the Tecofrost system will add 150 HP of gas engine compressor capacity, ...
- Industrial Refrigeration Systems Market to Hit $41 Billion Revenue by 2030: P&S Intelligenceon September 29, 2020 at 3:32 am
In 2019, $340 billion worth of medical drugs and other biotech products were bought around the world. As an efficient cold chain is imperative for drug supply, the growth in the worldwide cold chain ...
via Bing News