A new and extremely sensitive method of measuring ultrasound could revolutionise everything from medical devices to unmanned vehicles.
Researchers at The University of Queensland have combined modern nanofabrication* and nanophotonics* techniques to build the ultraprecise ultrasound sensors on a silicon chip.
“This is a major step forward, since accurate ultrasound measurement is critical for a range of applications,” he said.
“Ultrasound is used for medical ultrasound, often to examine pregnant women, as well as for high resolution biomedical imaging to detect tumours and other anomalies.
“It’s also commonly used for spatial applications, like in the sonar imaging of underwater objects or in the navigation of unmanned aerial vehicles.
“Improving these applications requires smaller, higher precision sensors and, with this new technique, that’s exactly what we’ve been able to develop.”
The technology is so sensitive that it can hear, for the first time, the miniscule random forces from surrounding air molecules.
“We’ve developed a near perfect ultrasound detector, hitting the limits of what the technology is capable of achieving,” Professor Bowen said.
“We’re now able to measure ultrasound waves that apply tiny forces – comparable to the gravitational force on a virus – and we can do this with sensors smaller than a millimetre across.”
Research leader Dr Sahar Basiri-Esfahani, now at Swansea University, said the accuracy of the technology could change how scientists understand biology.
“We’ll soon have the ability to listen to the sound emitted by living bacteria and cells,” she said.
“This could fundamentally improve our understanding of how these small biological systems function.
“A deeper understanding of these biological systems may lead to new treatments, so we’re looking forward to seeing what future applications emerge.”
Learn more: Ultra ultrasound to revolutionise technology
The Latest on: Ultra ultrasound
via Google News
The Latest on: Ultra ultrasound
- Ultra sound scan shows twin sisters fighting inside mother's womb on April 16, 2019 at 6:56 pm
Their mother was undergoing an ultrasound scan when she was four months pregnant when doctors discovered the babies shared the same amniotic sac and placenta; something that has been described as very ... […]
- Samsung Galaxy S10 software update makes the in-display ultrasonic fingerprint sensor faster on April 12, 2019 at 1:35 am
The update for the in-display ultrasonic fingerprint sensor is rolling out as an ... a 12-megapixel telephoto camera, and a 16-megapixel ultra wide-angle camera. The Galaxy S10 has a single ... […]
- Butterfly iQ Multi-Purpose Pocket-Sized Ultrasound Now Available in Europe on April 10, 2019 at 10:52 am
The “ultrasound-on-chip” ultra wide band matrix array makes within the Butterfly iQ lets it work as though it has three different transducers built-in. A clinician can now perform a variety of scans ... […]
- Even Samsung Galaxy S10’s Ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanner is Easy to Trick on April 8, 2019 at 5:35 am
Along with other intriguing features of Samsung Galaxy S10, its on-screen ultra-sonic fingerprint sensor was the talk of the town. It was advertised as a safe and user-friendly fingerprint sensor ... […]
- Samsung Galaxy S10 ultra-sonic fingerprint scanner fooled by 3D printed fingerprint cast: Report on April 8, 2019 at 1:59 am
The Samsung Galaxy S10 comes with Qualcomm’s 3D ultra-sonic fingerprint technology, which uses ultrasonic waves reflecting from the finger to create a 3D map of the fingerprint pattern. Qualcomm’s ... […]
- Viscoelastic biomarker for differentiation of benign and malignant breast lesion in ultra- low frequency range on April 5, 2019 at 3:18 am
which is somewhat outside the frequency band of these ultra-low frequency range calculation, less than 0.05 Hz. LAM can be utilized in conjunction of other ultrasound-derived lesion characteristics ... […]
- Company Overview of Ultra Solutions LLC on April 3, 2019 at 5:24 pm
Ultra Solutions LLC sells refurbished ultrasound equipment to small doctor’s offices and large hospital groups in the United States and internationally. It offers 3D, 4D, abdominal, carotid, color ... […]
- Item #: 815QR 5 Gallon (gal) Volume Brulin 815QR Ultra-Power Ultrasonic Cleaning Detergent on April 3, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Once you have perfected the formula that suits your particular needs, all you need to do is keep applying our line of detergents in the exact same formulation in order to maximize the level of ... […]
- Global Ultrasound Gel Marke 2019 – Sonotech, Parker Laboratories, Eco-Med, National Therapy Products Inc, UltragelKft on April 3, 2019 at 5:16 am
A profound analysis of the industry based on the “Ultrasound Gel Market” all over the world is named as Global Ultrasound Gel Market Report. The research report assess the current as well as upcoming ... […]
- Functional Ultrasound on April 1, 2019 at 4:11 am
Functional ultrasound experiments were performed using a prototype fUS system (Iconeus, Paris, France), consisting of ultra-fast ultrasound imaging system, miniature probe with 128 ultrasonic ... […]
via Bing News