Research from North Carolina State University has demonstrated a new technique that converts carbon fibers and nanotubes into diamond fibers at ambient temperature and pressure in air using a pulsed laser method.
The conversion method involves melting the carbon using nanosecond laser pulses and then quenching, or rapidly cooling, the material.
These diamond fibers could find uses in nanoscale devices with functions ranging from quantum computing, sensing and communication to diamond brushes and field-emission displays. The method can also be used to create diamond-seeded carbon fibers that can be used to grow larger diamond structures using hot-filament chemical vapor deposition and plasma-enhanced chemical vapor deposition techniques. These larger diamond structures could find uses as tool coatings for oil and gas exploration as well as deep-sea drilling, and for diamond jewelry.
Previous methods used to convert non-diamond carbon to diamond have involved using extreme heat and pressure at great expense with a limited yield. Melting the carbon with laser pulses and then undercooling it with a substrate made of sapphire, glass or a plastic polymer are the two keys to the discovery, said Dr. Jagdish Narayan, John C. Fan Distinguished Chair Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at NC State and corresponding author of a paper describing the work.
“Without undercooling, you cannot convert carbon into diamond this way,” Narayan said.
When heated, carbon normally goes from a solid state to a gas. Using a substrate restricts heat flow from the laser pulse enough that the carbon does not change phases.
The laser, similar to those used for Lasik eye surgery, is used for only 100 nanoseconds and heats the carbon to a temperature of 4,000 Kelvin, about 3,727 degrees Celsius.
NC State has filed for a patent licensing the technology.
The Latest on: Diamond fibers
via Google News
The Latest on: Diamond fibers
- Jio Fiber Welcome Offer in detail: All the freebies that you get on long-term planson September 6, 2019 at 9:33 am
Finally, the most premium tier of Jio Fiber costs a whopping Rs 8,499 per month, before the taxes. It provides 5000GB data at 1Gbps to the customer without any extra data benefits. Under the Welcome ...
- Jio Fiber launched in India: Jio Fiber Plans, prices, free TV and other detailson September 6, 2019 at 8:32 am
Jio Fiber has also revealed that Diamond, Platinum and Titanium plans include VR experience and access to premium content like the First Day-First Show movies and special sports content.
- Jio Fiber free 4K TV, registration information, & other plans for you in detailon September 6, 2019 at 6:43 am
Jio has also partnered banks for easy EMI payment facility at no extra charges. The annual subscriptions for Gold, Diamond, Platinum, and Titanium packs will entitle the customers for free 4K TV set.
- Jio Fiber Plans Announced, Know all about JioFiber Welcome Offer and Plans - Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond, Platinum, Titaniumon September 6, 2019 at 3:10 am
Jio Fiber Availability – Where is Jio Giga Fiber Available Now? Starting today, Reliance Jio has officially started the commercial launch of the Jio Giga Fiber services across India. Currently, Jio ...
- Reliance Jio Fiber: From Rs 699 Bronze to Rs 8,499 Titanium plan, know all about monthly planson September 6, 2019 at 1:47 am
HD TV is being offered along with Jio Fiber Gold's annual welcome offer. Jio Fiber Diamond Plan In the Jio Fiber Diamond plan, users are being offered unlimited data at speeds up to 500 Mbps.
- JioFiber Diamond Plan: Here's everything you need to knowon September 6, 2019 at 1:40 am
Users can choose a plan as per their requirements. Users who want high-speed internet up to 500Mbps can opt for the Diamond Plan. It starts at Rs 2,499 per month, excluding GST charges. JioFiber ...
- Reliance Jio Free TV Offer: Know Jio Fiber Plans that offer free LED TVs and other freebies hereon September 5, 2019 at 11:04 pm
The Jio Gold Annual Subscription Plan will cost Rs Rs 31,176 for two years (Rs 1,299x24 months) and will have the following inclusions: The second plan through which customers can get Free TV is the ...
- Reliance Jio Fiber plans: What's in the fine printon September 5, 2019 at 10:20 am
At the Annual General Meeting, Mukesh Ambani said that Jio Fiber plans will come bundled with subscriptions ... which means you are paying for five months instead of six. Long term Diamond, Platinum ...
- Reliance Jio Fiber: Welcome Offer’s ‘JioForever’ annual data plans explainedon September 5, 2019 at 7:13 am
Reliance Jio is offering as many as six Jio Fiber plans – Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond, Platinum, and Titanium. Under the Bronze Rs 699 monthly data plan users get up to 100Mbps data speed and 100GB ...
- Jio Fiber broadband: First Day, First Show feature available in plans starting Rs 2,499on September 5, 2019 at 7:08 am
The optical fiber-based fixed-line broadband service will offer ultra ... customers to watch new releases in the comfort of their homes. The three plans are Diamond (Rs 2,499), Platinum (Rs 3,999) and ...
via Bing News