Researchers develop tool for speedy diagnosis of bacterial infections
Using a small and inexpensive biosensor, researchers at UBC Okanagan, in collaboration with the University of Calgary, have built a diagnostic tool that provides health care practitioners almost instant diagnosis of a bacterial infection.
The tool is able to provide accurate and reliable results in real-time rather than the two-to-five days required for existing processes that test infections and antibiotic susceptibility.
“Advances in lab-on-a-chip microfluidic technology are allowing us to build smaller and more intricate devices that, in the medical research space, can provide more information for health care practitioners while requiring less invasive sampling from patients,” explains Mohammad Zarifi, an assistant professor at UBC Okanagan.
According to health care statistics from 2017, every hour of delay in antibiotic treatment increases mortality rates by nearly eight per cent due to infection complications in the bloodstream.
Zarifi, and his research group in the School of Engineering’s Microelectronics and Advanced Sensors Laboratory, tested their device by tracking the amount of bacteria present in a variety of samples under various scenarios. The scenarios resembled those encountered in clinical microbiological laboratories.
By sending a microwave signal through the sample, the device quickly and accurately analyzes and then generates a profile of existing bacteria.
The diagnostic tool not only provides a rapid, label-free and contactless diagnostic tool for clinical analysis but it also goes further, says Zarifi.
“The device is able to rapidly detect bacteria and in addition, it screens the interaction of that bacteria with antibiotics,” he adds. “The combined results give health care practitioners more information than they currently have available, helping them move forward to determine accurate treatments.”
This biosensor, explains Zarifi is a significant step forward in improving the complex antibiotic susceptibility testing workflow and provides a rapid and automated detection of bacteria as well as screening the bacteria proliferation in response to antibiotics.
The Latest on: Diagnostic tool
via Google News
The Latest on: Diagnostic tool
- Sprint Drive Review: the all-in-one vehicle hotspot, tracker and diagnostics tool on December 7, 2018 at 11:22 am
With all the connected devices we have these days, your car is likely the most out-of-date possession you own. Sure, modern vehicles have touch-screens and a handful of fancy features, but they ... […]
- Apple Watch electrocardiogram and irregular heart rate features are available today . They're not diagnostic tools on December 7, 2018 at 12:46 am
(MENAFN - iCrowdNewsWire) iCrowdNewswire - Dec 6, 2018 Photo by Amelia Holowaty Krales / The Verge Today, with an update to watchOS, Apple is making its electrocardiogram (EKG) reading feature ... […]
- New diagnostic tools may help identify breast cancer patients who could benefit from targeted therapies on December 6, 2018 at 9:09 pm
A set of emerging diagnostic tools may help identify breast cancer patients who are most likely to benefit from therapies that target important enzymes fueling a range of subtypes, including BCRA-muta... […]
- Library offers vehicle diagnostic tool on December 6, 2018 at 2:00 am
Jacksonville drivers can get a little assistance when it comes to vehicle troubleshooting, thanks to a new tool available through the Jacksonville Public Library. Known as an onboard diagnostic tool, ... […]
- Inexpensive sickle cell diagnostic tool shows perfect accuracy in Uganda on December 4, 2018 at 4:27 pm
SAN DIEGO — An inexpensive, easy-to-use diagnostic tool for sickle cell disease showed 100% accuracy among a large cohort of children from Uganda, according to findings presented during the late-break... […]
- Asthma-suffering horses get help from Purdue respiration diagnostic tool on December 4, 2018 at 7:17 am
New equine technology could help racehorses and show ponies control asthma, inhale optimum levels of oxygen during training and performances. WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Hayley Jonkman, owner and rider of ... […]
- New diagnostic tool enables speedy diagnosis of bacterial infections on November 29, 2018 at 10:16 am
Using a small and inexpensive biosensor, researchers at UBC Okanagan, in collaboration with the University of Calgary, have built a diagnostic tool that provides health care practitioners almost insta... […]
- Automotive diagnostic scan tools market 2018 with current and future trends to elucidate the imminent investment pockets in the market on November 29, 2018 at 4:53 am
Earlier, different tools were used to diagnose a single vehicle. This procedure was time consuming as it indulged manual operation. Nowadays, it has become difficult to identify the problems incurred ... […]
- Global Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tools Market Study 2018-2025, by Segments, Markets and Companies on November 28, 2018 at 2:04 pm
MarketResearchNest.com published an Exclusive Research Report on “Global Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tools Market Research Report 2018” that highlights the in-depth market analysis and covers significa... […]
via Bing News