Researchers at the University of Waterloo have developed a new system that could significantly speed up the discovery of new drugs and reduce the need for costly and time-consuming laboratory tests.
The new technology called Pattern to Knowledge (P2K) can predict the binding of biosequences in seconds and potentially reduce bottlenecks in drug research.
P2K uses artificial intelligence (AI) to leverage deep knowledge from data instead of relying solely on classical machine learning.
“P2K is a game changer given its ability to reveal subtle protein associations entangled in complex physiochemical environments and powerfully predict interactions based only on sequence data,” said Andrew Wong, professor, Systems Design Engineering, and Founding Director, Centre for Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (CPAMI). “The ability to access this deep knowledge from proven scientific results will shift biological research going forward. P2K has the power to transform how data could be used in the future.”
Although a large amount of biological sequence data has been collected, extracting meaningful and useful knowledge hasn’t been easy. P2K algorithms tackle this challenge by disentangling multiple associations to identify and predict amino acid bindings that govern protein interactions. Since P2K is much faster than existing biosequence analysis software with almost 30 per cent better prediction accuracy, it could significantly speed up the discovery of new drugs. By drawing information from databases in the Cloud, P2K could predict how tumour proteins and potential cancer treatments would interact.
Although still in the early prototype stage, Professor Wong and his team have made the online P2K system available publicly to researchers to start identifying new bio-sequence interactions.
“Putting this AI technology in the hands of biomedical researchers will generate immediate results, which could be used for future scientific discoveries,” said Antonio Sze-To, research associate, Systems Design Engineering, and co-inventor of P2K.
Since it analyzes sequential data, the applicability of P2K isn’t limited to biomedical research. P2K could benefit the financial industry by making useful associations and predictions for smart trading or the cybersecurity sector by predicting the likelihood of a potential cyber attack.
The Latest on: Drug discovery
via Google News
The Latest on: Drug discovery
- Automated Microscopy Market - Actionable Research on COVID-19 | Demand for Drug Discovery to Treat Cancer to Boost the Market Growth | Technavioon October 7, 2020 at 12:45 pm
Technavio has announced its latest market research report titled Global Automated Microscopy Market 2020-2024 (Graphic: ) The prevalence of cancer is increasing across the world. As a result, there is ...
- DiamiR Announces Oral Presentation at 21st International Conference on Alzheimer's Drug Discoveryon October 6, 2020 at 11:35 am
DiamiR, a developer of innovative minimally invasive diagnostic tests for neurodegenerative and other diseases, today announced that Dr. Kira Sheinerman, Chief Executive ...
- Drug Discovery Services Market Share, Size Report 2020 to 2025 Future Trends and Industry Growth Research Report by Industry Research Coon October 6, 2020 at 7:01 am
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry." “Drug Discovery Services Market” ...
- Global Small Molecule Drug Discovery Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Analysis - ResearchAndMarkets.comon October 6, 2020 at 5:45 am
COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Therapeutic Area; Process/Phase; and Geography" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Worldwide Drug Modeling Software Industry to 2027 - Increasing Adoption of Modelling Tools in Drug Discovery is Driving Growthon October 2, 2020 at 3:34 pm
The "Drug Modeling Software Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Product type; Application, and Geography" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Proteros Biostructures and X-Chem to Offer Comprehensive Joint Target-to-Lead Drug Discovery Serviceson October 1, 2020 at 12:44 pm
(X-Chem) announced today the launch of an alliance with the goal of offering Hit-Identification and Target-to-Lead drug discovery services based on their complementary technology platforms. The ...
- The Alzheimer's Drug Discovery Foundation and The Association for Frontotemporal Degeneration Announce Major New Investments in FTD Researchon September 30, 2020 at 7:43 am
The Alzheimer's Drug Discovery Foundation (ADDF) and The Association for Frontotemporal Degeneration (AFTD) announced today four new research awards to scientists looking for novel ways to diagnose ...
- Global Drug Discovery Informatics Market Is Expected to Reach USD 4.13 Billion by 2027 : Fior Marketson September 30, 2020 at 7:37 am
Newark, NJ, (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- As per the report published by Fior Markets, the global drug discovery informatics market is expected to grow from USD 2 billion in 2019 to USD 4.13 billion by 2027, at ...
- AI-centered drug discovery startup XtalPi raises nearly $319M in Series C roundon September 29, 2020 at 12:22 pm
The six-year-old Google-backed company was founded by three MIT physicists and hopes to use its technology to make drug discovery faster and less cumbersome by combining physics, AI and cloud ...
via Bing News