Researchers at the University of Waterloo have developed a new system that could significantly speed up the discovery of new drugs and reduce the need for costly and time-consuming laboratory tests.
The new technology called Pattern to Knowledge (P2K) can predict the binding of biosequences in seconds and potentially reduce bottlenecks in drug research.
P2K uses artificial intelligence (AI) to leverage deep knowledge from data instead of relying solely on classical machine learning.
“P2K is a game changer given its ability to reveal subtle protein associations entangled in complex physiochemical environments and powerfully predict interactions based only on sequence data,” said Andrew Wong, professor, Systems Design Engineering, and Founding Director, Centre for Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (CPAMI). “The ability to access this deep knowledge from proven scientific results will shift biological research going forward. P2K has the power to transform how data could be used in the future.”
Although a large amount of biological sequence data has been collected, extracting meaningful and useful knowledge hasn’t been easy. P2K algorithms tackle this challenge by disentangling multiple associations to identify and predict amino acid bindings that govern protein interactions. Since P2K is much faster than existing biosequence analysis software with almost 30 per cent better prediction accuracy, it could significantly speed up the discovery of new drugs. By drawing information from databases in the Cloud, P2K could predict how tumour proteins and potential cancer treatments would interact.
Although still in the early prototype stage, Professor Wong and his team have made the online P2K system available publicly to researchers to start identifying new bio-sequence interactions.
“Putting this AI technology in the hands of biomedical researchers will generate immediate results, which could be used for future scientific discoveries,” said Antonio Sze-To, research associate, Systems Design Engineering, and co-inventor of P2K.
Since it analyzes sequential data, the applicability of P2K isn’t limited to biomedical research. P2K could benefit the financial industry by making useful associations and predictions for smart trading or the cybersecurity sector by predicting the likelihood of a potential cyber attack.
Receive an email update when we add a new DRUG DISCOVERY article.
The Latest on: Drug discovery
via Google News
The Latest on: Drug discovery
- Azeria Therapeutics Announces Appointment of Dr Julian Blagg DPhil. FRSC as VP Drug Discovery on November 13, 2018 at 1:27 am
Azeria Therapeutics Limited, a newly formed drug discovery company, today announced the appointment of Dr Julian Blagg as VP Drug Discovery. Dr Blagg has over 30 years' experience in medicinal ... […]
- Drug Discovery Informatics Market Is Driven by the Increasing Focus on Delivery of Drugs on November 12, 2018 at 9:53 am
Albany, NY -- (SBWIRE) -- 11/12/2018 -- Drug discovery informatics is a complex process that requires the generation of very large information, and data. Through application of modern computational, a... […]
- Global Drug Discovery Services Market Forecast from 2018 on November 12, 2018 at 7:52 am
MarketResearchNest.com presents “Global Drug Discovery Services Market 2018 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2023” new Research to its studies database. This comprehensiv... […]
- Drug Discovery Services Market Variables, Trends and Segment Forecasts by 2022 on November 9, 2018 at 7:06 am
This report studies the global Drug Discovery Services market, analyzes and researches the Drug Discovery Services development status and forecast in United States, EU, Japan, China, India and Southea... […]
- Harvard Medical School’s $200M Gift to Fund Drug Discovery Initiative, New Technologies and Workspaces on November 9, 2018 at 6:32 am
Harvard Medical School (HMS) says it will use a $200 million gift from the Blavatnik Family Foundation to develop new drugs and diagnostics, create a new data science core facility, and provide collab... […]
- Global ADME/TOX Market Driven by Efforts of Pharma and Biotech Companies for Reducing Time and Cost of Drug Discovery on November 7, 2018 at 5:24 am
(MENAFN - EIN) Power of Applied Knowledge! ADME/Tox needs to be better understood by strategic decision makers. Risks involved and end use applications should be major areas of research going further. […]
- Recursion Pharma takes high-tech approach to drug discovery on November 1, 2018 at 6:01 pm
SALT LAKE CITY — Writers and filmmakers love to leverage the intersection of advanced robotics and artificial intelligence into dystopian outcomes for the blood-and-bones innovators behind the technol... […]
- Leading AI-driven Drug Discovery Company Exscientia Expands to The Oxford Science Park on November 1, 2018 at 1:07 am
Facilities in The Schrödinger Building to bring together AI experts and biologists In a key point in its growth strategy, Exscientia, the innovative company at the forefront of Artificial ... […]
- Drug Discovery Informatics Market Share,Trends,Business Strategy and Forecast to 2025 on October 31, 2018 at 2:25 pm
6. Collaborative Drug Discovery, Inc. 7. Jubilant Life Sciences Ltd. 8. Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. 9. Charles River 10. Novo Informatics Pvt. Ltd. Worldwide Drug Discovery Informatics Market Analys... […]
via Bing News