Water covers most of the globe, yet many regions still suffer from a lack of clean drinking water. If scientists could efficiently and sustainably turn seawater into clean water, a looming global water crisis might be averted. Now, inspired by origami, the Japanese art of paper folding, researchers have devised a solar steam generator that approaches 100 percent efficiency for the production of clean water.
They report their results in ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces.
Solar steam generators produce clean water by converting energy from the sun into heat, which evaporates seawater, leaving salts and other impurities behind. Then, the steam is collected and condensed into clean water. Existing solar steam generators contain a flat photothermal material, which produces heat from absorbed light. Although these devices are fairly efficient, they still lose energy by heat dissipation from the material into the air. Peng Wang and colleagues wondered if they could improve energy efficiency by designing a three-dimensional photothermal material. They based their structure on the Miura fold of origami, which consists of interlocking parallelograms that form “mountains” and “valleys” within the 3D structure.
The researchers made their solar steam generator by depositing a light-absorbing nanocarbon composite onto a cellulose membrane that was patterned with the Miura fold. They found that their 3D device had a 50 percent higher evaporation rate than a flat 2D device. In addition, the efficiency of the 3D structure approached 100 percent, compared with 71 percent for the 2D material. The researchers say that, compared to a flat surface, origami “valleys” capture the sunlight better so that less is lost to reflection. In addition, heat can flow from the valleys toward the cooler “mountains,” evaporating water along the way instead of being lost to the air.
The Latest on: Solar steam generation
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar steam generation
- Penn State Solar Project To Provide 25% Of University’s Electricity on February 21, 2019 at 8:13 am
“Among the many benefits of this significant investment in solar-based electric generation include cost ... by eliminating coal at the West Campus Steam Plant, additional strategies are required ... […]
- Reduce carbon emissions? T.B. Simon Power Plant is on it on February 21, 2019 at 5:15 am
“It kind of separates out the steam generation and the electrical generation ... renewable energy project at MSU — the carport solar arrays completed in 2017, advancing the university ... […]
- Concentrating Solar Power Market Insights | Leading Key Players: Abengoa Solar, Aalborg CSP, ACWA Power, BrightSource Energy, Inc. and eSolar Inc on February 21, 2019 at 12:01 am
... in the receiver aids in steam generation generate steam to produce electricity. Parabolic trough segment has maximum market share in total CSP market. The main reason behind maximum share is falli... […]
- Support for Entergy's $210M plant after actor debacle? It's strong, Entergy says, citing poll on February 20, 2019 at 7:21 am
Customers were asked the week of Feb. 4 if they supported the council’s decision to replace “a 60-year old plant with modern technology,” a reference to the older steam ... such as solar farms, as wel... […]
- GeoGenCo's Zero Water Geothermal Technology Helps Imperial Irrigation District Achieve Green Energy Goals on February 20, 2019 at 7:01 am
Jim McIntosh (Mac), GeoGenCo's CEO and COO states, "The project is identified as True Geothermal because all current geothermal projects require substantial amounts of water or steam as part of their ... […]
- The life ahead is electric on February 20, 2019 at 4:28 am
It’s full steam ahead for renewables in the DNV-GL consultancy’s latest Energy Transitions Outlook. It looks to wind and solar power having a 29% and 40% share, respectively, of total global electrici... […]
- Maui utility wants customers to pay for unused solar power on February 20, 2019 at 2:05 am
Low-load modifications to heat-recovery steam generators on two of its Maalaea plant units also were cited by MECO in its filing as a method to integrate more wind and solar power. Modifications were ... […]
- Compare and Contrast: Wind, Solar, and Geothermal Energy on February 19, 2019 at 9:00 am
Many geothermal power plants use steam from the reservoir to power their generators ... power that is already taking the world by storm is solar energy. For those who are unfamiliar with solar ... […]
- Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) – from niche to winning technology on February 18, 2019 at 1:34 am
These advancements will come in the following areas: Optimizing the modes of operation of overall plants Raising the temperaturelevel within the solar power cycle and thus the main steam parameters fo... […]
via Bing News