Serendipitous discovery could increase efficiency in jet engines, reduce plane noise, more
A group of new smart materials discovered by researchers at Texas A&M University and their colleagues has the potential to significantly improve the efficiency of fuel burn in jet engines, cutting the cost of flying. The materials, which could also reduce airplane noise over residential areas, have additional applications in a variety of other industries.
“What excites me is that we have just scratched the surface of something new that could not only open a completely new field of scientific research, but also enable new technologies,” said Dr. Ibrahim Karaman, Chevron Professor I and head of the university’s Department of Materials Science and Engineering.
The work was published in Scripta Materialia. Karaman’s co-authors are Demircan Canadinc, William Trehern, and Ji Ma of Texas A&M, and Fanping Sun and Zaffir Chaudhry, Technical Fellow of the United Technologies Research Center (UTRC).
The discovery is based on bringing together two relatively new areas of materials science involving metal alloys, or metals composed of two or more elements. The first area involves shape-memory alloys, “smart” materials that can switch from one shape to another with specific triggers, in this case temperature. Picture a straight metal rod that is bent into a corkscrew. By changing the temperature, the corkscrew turns back into a rod and vice versa.
The Latest on: Smart materials
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart materials
- JBL Link View review: Great sound from JBL, but Smart Displays still have a long way to go on September 18, 2018 at 5:16 am
Smart displays aren't for everyone ... Build It's well-built with sturdy materials that can withstand some abuse if you decide to use it in the kitchen. Cast target It works like a Chromecast, receivi... […]
- New report: Global smart coatings sales market revenue status and outlook 2013-2025 on September 17, 2018 at 10:23 pm
Global Smart Coatings Sales Market report is replete with detailed analysis from a thorough research, especially on questions that border on market size, development environment, futuristic developmen... […]
- Global Piezoelectric Smart Materials Industry Report 2018: Analysis & Forecasts through 2013-2023 with a Focus on the Chinese Market - ResearchAndMarkets.com on September 14, 2018 at 11:00 am
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Global and Chinese Piezoelectric Smart Materials Industry, 2018 Market Research Report" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The report provides ke... […]
- Smart Optics. Max Performance. on September 13, 2018 at 7:13 am
What if your optical sorter simply knew what was there? Until now, optical sorting has offered material recovery facility (MRF) operators binary choices, such as: Is that plastic container polyethylen... […]
- Smart pipes, smart cities, smart materials: Tech Lab opens doors on September 11, 2018 at 2:36 pm
The UTS Tech Lab facility comprises 9000 sqm of space, including some of the largest labs of their type in Australia. It will bring together researchers, industry and government to work on ideas that ... […]
- Global Smart Card Materials Industry Research Report, Growth Trends and Competitive Analysis 2018-2025 on September 10, 2018 at 3:31 pm
City of Industry, CA -- (SBWIRE) -- 09/10/2018 -- In terms of production side, this report researches the Smart Card Materials capacity, production, value, ex-factory price, growth rate, market share ... […]
- ‘Smart’ materials could cut flying’s cost and noise on September 7, 2018 at 7:20 am
Researchers have discovered a new group of smart materials that could improve the efficiency of fuel burn in airplane engines. Improving fuel efficiency has the potential to cut the cost of flying. Th... […]
- ISRAELI MATERIAL SCIENCE COMPANY GAUZY, LTD. LEADS $2 MILLION INVESTMENT IN RESEARCH FRONTIERS AND ITS SPD-SMART LIGHT CONTROL TECHNOLOGY on September 7, 2018 at 6:05 am
Tel Aviv, Israel and Woodbury, New York., Sept. 07, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Research Frontiers Inc. (Nasdaq: REFR) and Israel-based material science company Gauzy Ltd. announced today that Gauzy has ... […]
- New smart materials could reduce airplane noise and increase efficiency in jet engines on September 5, 2018 at 5:03 pm
A group of new smart materials discovered by researchers at Texas A&M University and their colleagues has the potential to significantly improve the efficiency of fuel burn in jet engines, cutting ... […]
via Bing News