A new type of energy storage system could revolutionise energy storage and drop the charging time of electric cars from hours to seconds.
In a new paper published today in the journal Nature Chemistry, chemists from the University of Glasgow discuss how they developed a flow battery system using a nano-molecule that can store electric power or hydrogen gas giving a new type of hybrid energy storage system that can be used as a flow battery or for hydrogen storage.
Their ‘hybrid-electric-hydrogen’ flow battery, based upon the design of a nanoscale battery molecule can store energy, releasing the power on demand as electric power or hydrogen gas that can be used a fuel. When a concentrated liquid containing the nano-molecules is made, the amount of energy it can store increases by almost 10 times. The energy can be released as either electricity or hydrogen gas meaning that the system could be used flexibly in situations that might need either a fuel or electric power.
One potential benefit of this system is that electric cars could be charged in seconds, as the material is a pumpable liquid. This could mean that the battery of an electric car could be “recharged” in roughly the same length of time as petrol cars can be filled up. The old battery liquid would be removed at the same time and recharged ready to be used again.
The approach was designed and developed by Professor Leroy (Lee) Cronin, the University of Glasgow’s Regius Chair of Chemistry, and Dr Mark Symes, Senior Lecturer in Electrochemistry, also at the University of Glasgow with Dr Jia Jia Chen, who is a researcher in the team. They are convinced that this result will help pave the way for the development of new energy storage systems that could be used in electric cars, for the storage of renewable energy, and to develop electric-to-gas energy systems for when a fuel is required.
Professor Cronin said: “For future renewables to be effective high capacity and flexible energy storage systems are needed to smooth out the peaks and troughs in supply. Our approach will provide a new route to do this electrochemically and could even have application in electric cars where batteries can still take hours to recharge and have limited capacity. Moreover, the very high energy density of our material could increase the range of electric cars, and also increase the resilience of energy storage systems to keep the lights on at times of peak demand.”
The Latest on: Energy storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Energy storage
- New York’s Energy Storage Roadmap: It’s Not Easy Getting from Here to There on September 18, 2018 at 10:58 am
New York has won praise for setting a goal to attract 1,500 MW of energy storage by 2025. But now comes the tricky part — deciding which route to take on its energy storage roadmap. The complexity of ... […]
- Industrial Energy Storage System Market Research, Trends, Analysis, Industry Demand and Forecast 2018-2025 on September 18, 2018 at 9:23 am
(EMAILWIRE.COM, September 18, 2018 ) The report gives the clear picture of current Industrial Energy Storage System Market scenario and the predicted future of the industry. The report focuses on the ... […]
- ElectrIQ Power Announces Their Latest Home Energy Storage System, the ElectrIQ PowerPod, and Amazon Alexa Integration on September 18, 2018 at 5:01 am
PALO ALTO, Calif., Sept. 18, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- ElectrIQ Power, the energy storage company that develops intelligent and integrated home energy storage, management and monitoring solutions, announce... […]
- End of Europe’s solar MIP sends wrong signal for energy storage support, warns Total on September 17, 2018 at 7:56 pm
The European Commission’s decision to end the minimum import price (MIP) on solar imports from China sends the wrong message about Europe’s future support of the battery storage industry, according to ... […]
- Energy storage technology market demand 2018-2023 insights shared in detailed report on September 17, 2018 at 2:55 pm
Energy Storage Technology refers to the electrical Energy through the certain Technology into chemical Energy, potential Energy and kinetic Energy, such as electromagnetic Energy form, make into the E... […]
- Antigua & Barbuda To Have New Solar Power + Energy Storage Installation on September 17, 2018 at 2:44 pm
Antigua and Barbuda are moving forward with a joint solar power and energy installation. The clean energy provider PV Energy Limited is working with the local government on the project. […]
- Energy Storage for Satellites Market 2018-2023: Analyzed by Business Growth, Development Factors, Application and Future Prospects on September 17, 2018 at 11:15 am
Market Segment by Manufacturers, this report covers EaglePicher Technologies, EnerSys, GS Yuasa Lithium Power, Mitsubishi Electric and Saft. Market Segment by Regions, regional analysis covers · North ... […]
- New York PSC actions move state closer to energy storage, climate goals on September 17, 2018 at 8:29 am
The New York Public Service Commission (PSC) last week took two steps aimed at bringing the state closer to meeting its climate goals. The PSC accepted the results of the environmental assessment it c... […]
- Stem to Deploy AI-Powered Energy Storage for Solvay in Ontario, Canada on September 17, 2018 at 6:43 am
Global chemical and advanced materials company turns to Stem’s Canadian experience and software to reduce energy costs MILLBRAE, Calif., Sept. 17, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Stem, the global leader in a... […]
via Bing News