People with diabetes could be able to monitor their blood sugar without drawing blood using a system now being developed at the University of Waterloo.
In a recent study, researchers combined radar and artificial intelligence (AI) technologies to detect changes in glucose levels without the need for painful finger pricks several times a day.
“We want to sense blood inside the body without actually having to sample any fluid,” said George Shaker, an engineering professor who leads a large team working on the concept. “Our hope is this can be realized as a smartwatch to monitor glucose continuously.”
The research involves collaboration with Google and German hardware company Infineon, which jointly developed a small radar device and sought input from select teams around the world on potential applications.
The system at Waterloo uses the radar device to send high-frequency radio waves into liquids containing various levels of glucose and receive radio waves that are reflected back to it.
Information on the reflected waves is then converted into digital data for analysis by machine-learning AI algorithms developed by the researchers.
The software is capable of detecting glucose changes based on more than 500 wave features or characteristics, including how long it takes for them to bounce back to the device.
Initial tests with volunteers at the Research Institute for Aging in Waterloo achieved results that were 85 per cent as accurate as traditional, invasive blood analysis.
“The correlation was actually amazing,” said Shaker. “We have shown it is possible to use radar to look into the blood to detect changes.”
Next steps include refining the system to precisely quantify glucose levels and obtain results through the skin, which complicates the process.
Researchers are also working with Infineon to shrink the radar device so that it is both low-cost and low-power.
The data analyzed by AI algorithms is now sent wirelessly to computers, but the ultimate aim is self-contained technology similar to the smartwatches that monitor heart rate.
“I’m hoping we’ll see a wearable device on the market within the next five years,” said Shaker. “There are challenges, but the research has been going at a really good rate.”
The Latest on: Glucose monitor
via Google News
The Latest on: Glucose monitor
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth by 2020 on April 17, 2019 at 2:57 am
Valley Cottage, NY -- (SBWIRE) -- 04/17/2019 -- Future Market Insights (FMI) announces the release of its latest report titled, "Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems Market: Global Industry Analysis ... […]
- Global Personal Use Self Monitoring Blood Glucose Market 2019-2024: Increased Awareness Among Diabetes Patients Attributed to Market Growth on April 17, 2019 at 12:25 am
Dublin, April 17, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Personal use Self monitoring Blood Glucose Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2019 - 2024)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's ... […]
- North America Blood Glucose Monitoring Market Report 2019 on April 16, 2019 at 8:30 am
DUBLIN, April 16, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "North America Blood Glucose Monitoring Market (2012 - 2024)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The countries in the North ... […]
- The OneTouch Verio Reflect™ Blood Glucose Monitoring System (BGMS) with Blood Sugar Mentor™ Messages Coming Soon to Canada on April 16, 2019 at 5:57 am
New interactive meter delivers real-time, personalized guidance and encouragement and, when paired with the OneTouch Reveal® mobile app, provides even more insight to help manage diabetes The ... […]
- India- Continuous Glucose Monitoring Market Size Estimated To Reach $1,325.9 Million By 2025: Polaris Market Research on April 15, 2019 at 6:30 am
(MENAFN - GetNews) The new published report by Polaris Market Research, the global continuous glucose monitoring market is anticipated to reach USD 1,325.9 million by 2025 growing at a CAGR of 15 ... […]
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring Market Size Estimated To Reach $1,325.9 Million By 2025: Polaris Market Research on April 15, 2019 at 5:00 am
Apr 15, 2019 (AB Digital via COMTEX) -- The global continuous glucose monitoring market size is anticipated to reach USD 1,325.9 million by 2025 growing at a CAGR of 15.8% from 2019 to 2025 ... […]
- Glucose (SMBG) (Test Strips, Lancet, Meter) Market 2019 Global Industry Key Players, Size, Trends, Opportunities, Growth Analysis and Forecast to 2023 on April 15, 2019 at 3:33 am
A new market study, titled 'Discover Global Glucose (SMBG) (Test Strips, Lancet, Meter) Market Upcoming Trends, Growth Drivers and Challenges has been featured on WiseGuyReports. Self-monitoring ... […]
- Blood Glucose Monitoring Market – Europe, the Middle East, and Africa Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2019 - 2023 on April 15, 2019 at 3:16 am
Apr 15, 2019 (MarketersMedia via COMTEX) -- WiseGuyRerports.com Presents "Europe, the Middle East, and Africa Blood Glucose Monitoring Market Research Report- Forecast till 2023" New Document to its ... […]
- Global Self-Monitoring Blood Glucose Market Report 2019 on April 15, 2019 at 1:05 am
Dublin, April 15, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Global Self-Monitoring Blood Glucose Market (2012 - 2024)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. One of the fastest-growing ... […]
via Bing News