It’s often been said that the eyes are the window to the soul, revealing what we think and how we feel. Now, new research reveals that your eyes may also be an indicator of your personality type, simply by the way they move.
Developed by the University of South Australia in partnership with the University of Stuttgart, Flinders University and the Max Planck Institute for Informatics in Germany, the research uses state-of-the-art machine-learning algorithms to demonstrate a link between personality and eye movements.
Findings show that people’s eye movements reveal whether they are sociable, conscientious or curious, with the algorithm software reliably recognising four of the Big Five personality traits: neuroticism, extroversion, agreeableness, and conscientiousness.
Researchers tracked the eye movements of 42 participants as they undertook everyday tasks around a university campus, and subsequently assessed their personality traits using well-established questionnaires.
UniSA’s Dr Tobias Loetscher says the study provides new links between previously under-investigated eye movements and personality traits and delivers important insights for emerging fields of social signal processing and social robotics.
“There’s certainly the potential for these findings to improve human-machine interactions,” Dr Loetscher says.
“People are always looking for improved, personalised services. However, today’s robots and computers are not socially aware, so they cannot adapt to non-verbal cues.
“This research provides opportunities to develop robots and computers so that they can become more natural, and better at interpreting human social signals.”
Dr Loetscher says the findings also provide an important bridge between tightly controlled laboratory studies and the study of natural eye movements in real-world environments.
“This research has tracked and measured the visual behaviour of people going about their everyday tasks, providing more natural responses than if they were in a lab.
“And thanks to our machine-learning approach, we not only validate the role of personality in explaining eye movement in everyday life, but also reveal new eye movement characteristics as predictors of personality traits.”
The Latest on: Human-machine interactions
via Google News
The Latest on: Human-machine interactions
- Designing human-machine interfaces for mobile devices on September 18, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Well-designed human-machine interfaces (HMI ... tactile feedback should be used carefully and only to bring visibility to interactions where visual cues are not enough. You should design your ... […]
- The Future of Human-Machine Interaction: Bringing Perception and Intelligence to Industrial Robots on September 17, 2018 at 6:58 pm
Clara Vu is cofounder and VP of engineering at Veo Robotics, a company that brings advanced computer vision, 3-D sensing, and AI to industrial robots, allowing them to work side by side with humans in ... […]
- Human Machine Interface Market Analysis and Industry Research Report to 2025 on September 17, 2018 at 8:12 am
is the user interface present in certain devices that connects an operator to the controller and handles human-machine interactions for a manufacturing system. Human-machine interface (HMI) is also re... […]
- Kristin Kolodge, Executive Director of Human Machine Interface (HMI) and Driver Interaction, J.D. Power, confirmed for M:bility Detroit on September 17, 2018 at 7:46 am
CARDIFF, UNITED KINGDOM – Automotive World, a global publishing and events company helping stakeholders understand the future of mobility, announced today that Kristin Kolodge, Executive Director of H... […]
- paragon acquires 82 percent of SemVox on September 14, 2018 at 6:09 am
The tech company develops efficient solutions for voice control, diverse human-machine interaction and intelligent assistance systems based on artificial intelligence. The sellers of the stake are the ... […]
- DGAP-News: paragon acquires 82 percent of SemVox GmbH and launches business division for digital assistance systems on September 12, 2018 at 10:11 am
The tech company develops efficient solutions for voice control, diverse human-machine interaction and intelligent assistance systems based on artificial intelligence. The sellers of the stake are ... […]
- Scientists from 10 countries are to take part in the largest Russian Conference on Industry 4.0 on September 7, 2018 at 2:43 am
The focus of the Conference is on the following digital industry areas: Big Data, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence for Industry 4.0 Management; Human-machine Interaction in Industrial ... […]
- Waze of Seeing: Study Shows Which Nav Systems Users Want on September 5, 2018 at 6:19 am
"Google Maps is outperforming Apple Maps in terms of ease of use and accuracy," said Kristin Kolodge, J.D. Power's executive director of driver interaction and human-machine interface research. Some i... […]
- Touchless Sensing Market 2018 Global Key Leaders: Eyesight Technologies Ltd, Microsoft Corporation, Qualcomm Inc, Microchip Technology Inc on August 7, 2018 at 3:36 am
Touchless sensing is a software-dependent and advanced form of human-machine interaction, where the user can control and monitor devices through contactless modes. This technology is incorporated into ... […]
via Bing News