Purdue University researchers have created a technology that allows public cameras to send personalized messages to people without compromising their privacy.
The team developed a real-time end-to-end system called PHADE to allow this process, known as private human addressing. While traditional data transmission protocols need to first learn the destination’s IP or MAC address, this system uses motion patterns as the address code for communication. The smartphones then locally make their own decisions on whether to accept a message.
The PHADE system works using a server to receive video streams from cameras to track people. The camera builds a packet by linking a message to the address code and broadcasts the packet. Upon receiving the packet, a mobile device of each of the targets uses sensors to extract its owner’s behavior and follow the same transformation to derive a second address code. If the second address code matches with the address code in the message, the mobile device automatically delivers the message to its owner.
A video explaining more about the camera technology is available at https://bit.ly/2JScSqO.
“Our technology enables public cameras to send customized messages to targets without any prior registration,” said He Wang, an assistant professor in the Purdue Department of Computer Science, who created the technology along with his PhD student, Siyuan Cao. “Our system serves as a bridge to connect surveillance cameras and people and protects targets’ privacy.”
PHADE protects privacy in two key ways – it keeps the users’ personal sensing data within their smartphones and it transforms the raw features of the data to blur partial details. The creators named the system PHADE because the blurring process “fades” people’s motion details out.
PHADE can be used in places such as at a museum, where visitors can receive messages with information about the artifacts or exhibits they are viewing. The technology also could be implemented in shopping malls to provide consumers with digital product information or coupons. In a similar way, PHADE could be valuable for new store prototypes such as Amazon Go, which uses phone technology instead of traditional checkout registers.
“PHADE may also be used by government agencies to enhance public safety,” Cao said. “For example, the government can deploy cameras in high-crime or high-accident areas and warn specific users about potential threats, such as suspicious followers.”
Wang said surveillance camera and security companies would also be able to integrate the technology into their products directly as a key feature. He also said this technology has advantages over Bluetooth-based beacons, which have difficulties in adjusting for ranges of transmission and do not allow for context-aware messaging.
The work appears in the June issue of Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT), a premier journal for research relevant to the post-PC era, and will be presented during a conference in October in Singapore.
The Latest on: Communications technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Communications technology
- Global paint and coating biocide market illuminated by new report on September 19, 2018 at 3:18 am
Global Paint and Coating Biocide Market Research Report 2018 contains historic data that spans 2013 to 2017, and then continues to forecast to 2025. That makes this report so invaluable, resources, fo... […]
- Global Industrial Coatings Market: Size, Trends & Forecasts (2018-2022) Including Profiles for AkzoNobel, PPG Industries, Axalta Coating Systems and BASF - ResearchAndMarkets.com on September 19, 2018 at 2:58 am
The global industrial coatings market has increased at a significant CAGR over the years and projections are made that the market would rise in the next four years i.e. 2018-2022, tremendously. The in... […]
- Covestro developing waterborne coating solutions for industrial ugrades on September 19, 2018 at 1:07 am
Covestro has been developing waterborne polyurethane coating and adhesive products, aiming to replace solvent-borne solutions and to support global sustainable development, according to Xiaobin Zhong, ... […]
- Thermal Barrier Coating Market Analysis Report By Key Players - TWI Ltd., Integrated Global Services, A & A Company, Thermion - Global Forecast on September 18, 2018 at 11:49 am
UpMarketResearch offers a latest published report on “Global Thermal Barrier Coating Market Industry Analysis and Forecast 2018-2025” delivering key insights and providing a competitive advantage to c... […]
- Explore automotive coating market set to exceed USD 35.82 billion by 2026 on September 18, 2018 at 3:30 am
The qualitative research study conducted by Polaris Market Research titled “Global Automotive Coating Market Research Report 2018” provides primary Data, surveys, Scope of the Product and vendor brief... […]
- Flexible Plastic Packaging Coating Market - Trends, Share, Scope, Research Insights by 2026 on September 17, 2018 at 10:24 pm
Albany, NY -- (SBWIRE) -- 09/18/2018 -- Transparency Market Research delivers key insights on the Flexible plastic packaging coating Market in its published report, titled "Global Flexible Plastic Pac... […]
- Special Type Seed Coating Agent Market - Global Industry Growth and Forecast for 2018- 2025 on September 17, 2018 at 12:08 am
(EMAILWIRE.COM, September 17, 2018 ) The report gives the clear picture of current Special Type Seed Coating Agent Market scenario and the predicted future of the industry. The report focuses on the b... […]
- Energy Efficient Glass Markets 2018-2023: Worldwide Analysis & Forecast by Coating, Glazing, Application and Region on September 14, 2018 at 3:30 pm
The "Energy Efficient Glass Market by Coating (Hard Coat, Soft Coat), Glazing (Single Glazing, Double Glazing, Triple Glazing), Application (Building & Construction, Automotive, Solar Panel), and ... […]
- The Future of the Global Elastomer, Antifoams, Coating Adhesives and Sealants Fluorosilicone Market to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com on September 14, 2018 at 8:55 am
The "2018 Future Of Global Elastomer, Antifoams, Coating Adhesives and Sealants Fluorosilicone Market Outlook to 2025 - Growth Opportunities, Competition And Outlook of Fluorosilicone Across Applicati... […]
via Bing News