A KAIST research team developed a crucial source technology that will advance the commercialization of micro LEDs.
Professor Keon Jae Lee from the Department of Materials Science and Engineering and his team have developed a low cost production technology for thin-film blue flexible vertical micro LEDs (f-VLEDs).
In CES 2018, micro LED TV was spotlighted as a strong candidate for replacing the active-matrix organic light-emitting diode (AMOLED) display. Micro LED is a sub-100 um light source for red, green and blue light, which has advantages of outstanding optical output, ultra-low power consumption, fast response speed, and excellent flexibility.
However, the current display industry has utilized the individual chip transfer of millions of LED pixels, causing high production cost. Therefore, the initial market of micro LED TV will be estimated to ~ a hundred thousand dollars for global premium market.
To widely commercialize micro LEDs for mobile and TV displays, the transfer method of thin film micro LEDs requires a one-time transfer of one million LEDs. In addition, highly efficient thin-film blue micro LED is crucial for a full-color display.
The team developed thin-film red f-VLED in previous projects, and now has realized thousands of thin-film blue vertical micro LEDs (thickness < 2 ?m) on plastics using a one-time transfer.
The blue GaN f-VLEDs achieved optical power density (~30 mW/mm2) three times higher than that of lateral micro LEDs, and a device lifetime of 100,000 hours by reducing heat generation. These blue f-VLEDs could be conformally attached to the curved skin and brains for wearable devices, and stably operated by wirelessly transferred electrical energy.
Professor Lee said, “For future micro LEDs, the innovative technology of thin-film transfer, efficient devices, and interconnection is necessary. We plan to demonstrate a full-color micro LED display in smart watch sizes by the end of this year. ”
Receive an email update when we add a new MICRO LEDS article.
The Latest on: Micro LEDs
via Google News
The Latest on: Micro LEDs
- AquiSense Technologies' New Three Products Offers Researchers Access to The Latest in UV-C LED and Plasma Lamp Technology on February 21, 2019 at 6:40 am
The PearlLab Micro™ is a flow-through or batch operation tool with interchangeable ... The new PearlLab product line offers researchers access to the latest in UV-C LED and plasma lamp technology. “UV ... […]
- Spain: Edible micro vegetables without soil or sun on February 20, 2019 at 7:16 am
Its crops are grown hydroponically, and they are not in the open ground or inside a greenhouse, but in closed facilities where state-of-the-art LED lighting technology allows the micro-plants to have ... […]
- Celebrity marketing fees fall by two-thirds in two years amid shift to micro-influencers on February 20, 2019 at 6:22 am
Despite the concerns, the proportion of brands' marketing budgets being set aside for influencer-led campaigns has nearly doubled over ... on new products may explain the shift from celebrity to micro ... […]
- Mini LED-backlit devices expected to be launched in 3Q19 on February 19, 2019 at 10:17 pm
Until development of micro LED technology reaches maturity for commercialization, mini LED is considered a competitive rival with OLED in display performance, the sources said. Since mini LED backligh... […]
- Venture-backed Interset acquired by Micro Focus on February 19, 2019 at 2:54 pm
The company has been led by CEO Mark Smialowicz. Micro Focus, a Newbury, U.K.-based enterprise application software company, said the acquisition adds depth to its security, risk and governance portfo... […]
- JNU prof says Mehbooba Mufti ordered removal of barriers that led to Pulwama attack; PDP to take legal action on February 19, 2019 at 11:03 am
We register strong protest and will initiate legal action against her. @DelhiPolice pls take note," the party had posted on the micro-blogging site Monday. Mufti also took to Twitter Tuesday to critic... […]
- The micro-moment opportunity on February 19, 2019 at 6:30 am
The unfettered rise of mobile has led to what Google has termed micro-moments. These occur when people instinctively turn to a device – increasingly a smartphone – to act on a need to learn, do or wat... […]
- Trends of Micro-LED Display Market Reviewed for 2019 with Outlook to 2024 for Apple, Samsung, Sony, Oculus, VueReal, LG Display, Play Nitride, eLUX on February 19, 2019 at 4:36 am
Selbyville, DE -- (SBWIRE) -- 02/19/2019 -- According to this study, over the next five years the Micro-LED Display market will register a xx% CAGR in terms of revenue, the global market size will rea... […]
- IL&FS-led liquidity woes, Aadhaar ban roil NBFCs, micro-lending dips by 15% on February 16, 2019 at 11:30 pm
The liquidity crisis at NBFCs triggered by the bankruptcy of IL&FS and the Supreme Court verdict banning use of the Aadhaar data for financial transactions have led to a 15 per cent drop in micro-lend... […]
via Bing News