Chemists have modified the enzyme levansucrase using a new method. The enzyme can now produce sugar polymers that are exciting for applications in the food industry and medicine.
Enzymes are tools of nature that accelerate almost all biochemical reactions in living cells as biological catalysts. For this reason, enzymes have been used in the chemical industry for some time now – in detergents and cleaners, toothpastes and shampoos, but also in foods. Enzymes help in the production of paper, textiles, leather, medicines, biofuels and other products.
Enzymes from the tailoring industry
Biochemically, enzymes are proteins that are composed of natural amino acids. They form a three-dimensional structure. Just like a key fits into a lock, each specific molecule fits into an enzyme and the enzyme converts it into a new product.
Technically, it is possible to exchange individual amino acids in an enzyme and thereby change its structure so that it can now process other molecules. In this way, British scientists have created just recently a mutant enzyme that breaks down plastic.
Surface of the levansucrase changed
Chemists from Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg (JMU) in Bavaria, Germany, have now gone a step further in the tailoring of enzymes: “We thought what fascinating possibilities would arise if we could change the surface of enzymes chemically and use the chemical space of molecules,” says Jürgen Seibel , Professor of Organic Chemistry at the JMU. “We have developed a reaction that does not occur in nature in this way. It gives us a lot of freedom in reshaping enzyme surfaces. “
As the JMU scientists report in the journal “Chemical Science”, they first redesigned the surface of the enzyme levansucrase. Now, the enzyme can convert the table sugar (sucrose) directly into a polymer of fructose building blocks.
“So far, such a synthesis has been possible with levansucrase, but it works much more efficiently with the modified enzyme,” explains Seibel. The conversion of the enzyme per second is now significantly higher; moreover, it mainly produces the desired product and no accidental by-products.
Interesting for medicine and food industry
The fructose polymer could be used as a bio-gel for tissue transplantation in medicine or in the food industry – for example as a probiotic supplement in yogurts or baby food. Because like other functional sugars, the polymer could also serve certain intestinal bacteria as food and indirectly exert a health-promoting influence on the intestinal flora of humans.
Learn more: New technology for enzyme design
Receive an email update when we add a new ENZYMES article.
The Latest on: Enzyme design
via Google News
The Latest on: Enzyme design
- Hempel Launches the One-stop Coating Solution for 60 Minutes Fire Protection on December 12, 2018 at 3:26 pm
NewswireToday - /newswire/ - Kgs, Lyngby, Denmark, 2018/12/12 - Today, world leading coatings manufacturer Hempel launches its new passive fire protection (PFP) coating. Hempafire Pro 315 has been dev... […]
- COOKSMARK 10 Piece Cookware Set with Nonstick Coating, Induction Pots and Pans set Dishwasher Safe Aluminum Hammering Copper on December 12, 2018 at 12:14 pm
Magnetips Color Edition Bundle Loot Anime: 3-Month Subscription (International Only) Get 6 issues for only $3.83 each Extra Long MFi-Certified iOS + Android Charging Cable: 2-Pack Your destination for ... […]
- Global Powder Coatings Market 2019-2023: Extensive Use of Powder Coatings in Consumer Appliances / Introduction of Natural Wood Coating / Competitive Landscape ... on December 12, 2018 at 10:22 am
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Global Powder Coatings Market 2019-2023" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The manufacturers of powder coatings are focusing on sustainability t... […]
- Global Stain-resistant Coatings Market 2019-2023| Increasing Demand for Waterborne Stain-resistant Coating to Boost Demand| T... on December 12, 2018 at 8:43 am
Technavio analysts forecast the global stain-resistant coatings market to grow at a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period, according to their latest market research report. This press release fea... […]
- Global Stain-resistant Coatings Market 2019-2023| Increasing Demand for Waterborne Stain-resistant Coating to Boost Demand| Technavio on December 12, 2018 at 7:41 am
LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Technavio analysts forecast the global stain-resistant coatings market to grow at a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period, according to their latest market research repor... […]
- Purposeful packaging: Mineral coating keeps food fresh and reduces waste on December 12, 2018 at 6:56 am
Coating the packaging of fresh fruit and vegetables with a blend of minerals and clay can extend the shelf life by up to two to four days and reduce food waste, says UK company It's Fresh! The additiv... […]
- Coating Gun Market Recent Study Including Growth Factors, Applications, Regional Analysis, key players: AMT AG, Anest Iwata, Binks, DeVILBISS on December 12, 2018 at 5:56 am
HTF MI published a new industry research that focuses on Coating Gun market and delivers in-depth market analysis and future prospects of Global Coating Gun market. The study covers significant data w... […]
- What a waste: Chocolate tank spills, coating street in candy on December 12, 2018 at 5:43 am
It seems like a storyline for a sequel to “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,” but a tank holding chocolate somehow spilled, sending the brown liquid into a nearby street, bringing a town in Germa... […]
- Truck Gear By LINE-X Reveals All-New LXP Hard Folding Tonneau Cover Armored In Extreme Protective Coating on December 12, 2018 at 5:17 am
- First Truck Gear by LINE-X Accessory to Come with Panels Coated in Impact Resistant LINE-X - Sleek, Flush-Mounted Design Features Extra Layer of Protection from Dents, Dings and Scratches - Top ... […]
via Bing News