The self-modifying coating, which is a thousand times thinner than a human hair, works by automatically letting in more heat when it’s cold and blocking the sun’s rays when it’s hot.
Smart windows have the ability to naturally regulate temperatures inside a building, leading to major environmental benefits and significant financial savings. The breakthrough could help meet future energy needs and create temperature-responsive buildings.
Our technology will potentially cut the rising costs of air-conditioning and heating, as well as dramatically reduce the carbon footprint of buildings of all sizes.
Smart glass windows are about 70 per cent more energy efficient during summer and 45 per cent more efficient in the winter compared to standard dual-pane glass.
“Our coating doesn’t require energy and responds directly to changes in temperature.”
“This switch is similar to a dimmer and can be used to control the level of transparency on the window and therefore the intensity of lighting in a room,” Taha said. “This means users have total freedom to operate the smart windows on-demand.”
“The materials and technology are readily scalable to large area surfaces, with the underlying technology filed as a patent in Australia and the US,” she said.
Learn more: Clever coating opens door to smart windows
The Latest on: Smart windows
- Sure, you’re smart. But how well do you merge? on February 21, 2019 at 7:06 am
For instance, a roof, windows, doors and halls that lead to and from places ... I’ve been looking at your resume,” you’ll say to that fresh-faced young candidate. “Sure, you’re smart. But how well do ... […]
- BRTS has 8,000 smart card holders on February 20, 2019 at 8:42 pm
Now, we can just punch the smart card to enter or exit station. It is very useful. It is easy to use and also saves time.” Inderjit Singh Chawla, Chief Executive Officer (CEO), BRTS, said,“ We observe... […]
- Solid and smart Bayern hold Liverpool at Anfield on February 19, 2019 at 11:43 pm
much to the satisfaction of manager Robert Kovac. Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the cod […]
- Smart Watches Market Size, Analysis and Research By 2024 on February 19, 2019 at 9:09 pm
The companies who are manufacturing smart watches are customizing their operating devices ... The Smartwatch market share is segmented based on operating systems as Android, IOS, Windows, Others. The ... […]
- ECS to unveil AI built-in products for IoV and smart living at MWC 2019 on February 19, 2019 at 6:51 pm
AI virtual assistant products Heading toward AI smart living, ECS will present the new series of AI Virtual Assistant Products across multiple platforms such as Amazon Alexa, Google Assistance or Wind... […]
- Microsoft Brings Official Windows Timeline Support to Chrome on February 19, 2019 at 1:48 am
Microsoft is releasing a new Google Chrome extension today that brings support for Windows Timeline to Google Chrome ... instead of natively implementing it into Chromium. Pretty smart. […]
- Smart, flexible window can trap air pollutants on February 18, 2019 at 12:01 pm
Beijing, Feb 17 (PTI) Scientists have developed flexible smart windows that can trap air pollutants, and keep the indoor environment free of harmful particulate matter. Tuning the light intensity and ... […]
- Chinese scientists develop smart windows to clean air pollution on February 18, 2019 at 12:56 am
WASHINGTON. KAZINFORM - Chinese scientists have developed a large-scale transparent smart window that can change light intensity while effectively capturing the particulate matter in smog, said a stud... […]
- Scientists develop smart windows to clean air pollution on February 16, 2019 at 9:46 pm
A team of Chinese scientists have developed a large-scale transparent smart window that can change light intensity while effectively capturing the particulate matter in smog, a study said. The study p... […]
- Microsoft applies for smart fabric patent for use in Surface laptops, wearables on February 11, 2019 at 11:55 am
According to Windows Latest, Microsoft recently filed a patent application with the United States Patent and Trademark Office for its development and proposed usage of touch-sensitive smart fabric tec... […]
via Google News and Bing News