The self-modifying coating, which is a thousand times thinner than a human hair, works by automatically letting in more heat when it’s cold and blocking the sun’s rays when it’s hot.
Smart windows have the ability to naturally regulate temperatures inside a building, leading to major environmental benefits and significant financial savings. The breakthrough could help meet future energy needs and create temperature-responsive buildings.
Our technology will potentially cut the rising costs of air-conditioning and heating, as well as dramatically reduce the carbon footprint of buildings of all sizes.
Smart glass windows are about 70 per cent more energy efficient during summer and 45 per cent more efficient in the winter compared to standard dual-pane glass.
“Our coating doesn’t require energy and responds directly to changes in temperature.”
“This switch is similar to a dimmer and can be used to control the level of transparency on the window and therefore the intensity of lighting in a room,” Taha said. “This means users have total freedom to operate the smart windows on-demand.”
“The materials and technology are readily scalable to large area surfaces, with the underlying technology filed as a patent in Australia and the US,” she said.
Learn more: Clever coating opens door to smart windows
The Latest on: Smart windows
- How smart home tech can save you money on heating this winter on November 14, 2018 at 4:02 am
But windows will inevitably remain open and people will soon start forgetting to turn the heat off when nobody is at home, which will waste energy and ultimately money. But that's where technology com... […]
- These Windows 10 keyboard shortcuts will update your OG Windows skills on November 13, 2018 at 2:36 pm
There’s actually quite a lot of new functionality to learn in Windows 10. With all of these exclusive features, such as the Cortana smart assistant, there are a bunch of new corresponding Windows 10 k... […]
- Introducing View SmartProtect™: Industry's First Smart Window-Based Building Security Solution on November 13, 2018 at 11:45 am
Real time monitoring. A convenient View Building Manager web dashboard allows monitoring of all windows in real-time, bringing peace of mind. "SmartProtect is the first of many smart building solution... […]
- Microsoft To-Do now lets Windows 10 users automatically hide empty smart lists on November 13, 2018 at 9:48 am
In September, Microsoft updated its To-Do app with a new "smart" list called Planned, which essentially collects and organizes your tasks for the next five days or so. Like the Important list, this is ... […]
- Building windows powered by algorithms: View launches SmartProtect, an IoT security system for smart windows on November 13, 2018 at 9:00 am
View, which makes dynamic windows for smart buildings, launched View SmartProtect, a physical security system that notifies building managers when there's a glass breakage. View SmartProtect uses Micr... […]
- Alexa on Windows 10 review: Lots of skills, but is it worth using? on November 13, 2018 at 6:00 am
Alexa is available for free on Windows 10 devices. Alexa has an ever-increasing set of skills. It can control smart devices ranging from light bulbs to thermostats. It can also connect to many popular ... […]
- Microsoft To-Do for Windows 10 picks up new sorting options for smart lists on November 12, 2018 at 7:56 am
A small, handy update is now rolling out to Microsoft To-Do for Windows 10, bringing with it some new sorting options for your smart lists. In the update, you'll find new options to hide empty smart l... […]
- Amazon Launches Alexa App in Windows Store on November 12, 2018 at 4:18 am
It’s available right now in the Windows Store, so you may finally have a reason to open that. Alexa debuted on the Amazon Echo several years ago, but it has since branched out to more smart speakers, ... […]
- How To Turn Any Windows 10 PC Into A Smart Speaker With Amazon’s Alexa App on November 11, 2018 at 9:27 am
Windows 10 PC users who like the idea of an Amazon Alexa device, but don't want another gadget sitting on their desks have a new option that will let them turn their Windows 10 desktop, laptop or ... […]
- Best Buy offers a slew of Black Friday deals for smart home, security, and Wi-Fi on November 9, 2018 at 3:43 am
The motion-sensitive cameras are compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Samsung SmartThings, and Wink, plus they can be used with Android, Apple iOS, Mac, and Windows apps. A smart home base ... […]
via Google News and Bing News