The self-modifying coating, which is a thousand times thinner than a human hair, works by automatically letting in more heat when it’s cold and blocking the sun’s rays when it’s hot.
Smart windows have the ability to naturally regulate temperatures inside a building, leading to major environmental benefits and significant financial savings. The breakthrough could help meet future energy needs and create temperature-responsive buildings.
Our technology will potentially cut the rising costs of air-conditioning and heating, as well as dramatically reduce the carbon footprint of buildings of all sizes.
Smart glass windows are about 70 per cent more energy efficient during summer and 45 per cent more efficient in the winter compared to standard dual-pane glass.
“Our coating doesn’t require energy and responds directly to changes in temperature.”
“This switch is similar to a dimmer and can be used to control the level of transparency on the window and therefore the intensity of lighting in a room,” Taha said. “This means users have total freedom to operate the smart windows on-demand.”
“The materials and technology are readily scalable to large area surfaces, with the underlying technology filed as a patent in Australia and the US,” she said.
Learn more: Clever coating opens door to smart windows
The Latest on: Smart windows
- Nanoparticles for improving smart-window energy efficiency on September 18, 2018 at 5:22 pm
U.S. buildings leak an estimated 30 percent of their energy through inefficient windows, costing consumers an estimated $42 billion annually. For more information see the IDTechEx report on Smart Glas... […]
- Logitech K600 TV Keyboard takes the pain out of smart-TV control on September 18, 2018 at 11:50 am
Ah, the old days when smart TVs were nascent ... The K600 works as a regular wireless keyboard with Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android devices, too. The keyboard can be connected to up to three ... […]
- Elizabeth Smart 'very concerned' about kidnapper's release on September 18, 2018 at 9:58 am
Elizabeth Smart, who was 14-years-old when she was kidnapped by a ... Rough cut (no reporter narration). Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy ... […]
- Logitech Launches K600 Keyboard for Smart TVs and HTPC on September 18, 2018 at 9:08 am
Plus, it supports Bluetooth and Unifying connections under Windows, macOS, WebOS, Tizen and Chrome OS. That means it is readily compatible with Samsung and LG smart TVs. Specifically, Samsung Tizen TV... […]
- 9 Smart Home & Health Gadgets to Improve Everyday Life on September 17, 2018 at 10:01 pm
windows equipped with blinds or shades are key. But why adjust each window shade in the house by hand when remote-control shades are affordable and easy to use? Serena shades are the perfect fit for y... […]
- Smart tweets message of remembrance for mother on September 17, 2018 at 8:25 pm
Smart's older brother, Todd ... 1 2 3 4 YOU MAY LIKE Sponsored Links by Microsoft Lenovo IdeaPad 11.6-inch Laptop with Windows 10 for ₹16,502 only Microsoft Find the right Office 365 subscription for ... […]
- Microsoft Monday: How Windows 10 Will Free Up Disk Space, Browser Warning Removed, Lobe Acquisition on September 17, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Recently, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates also invested $80 million on a parcel of land in Belmont, Arizona for a rumored smart city program. Warning About Chrome And Firefox Removed Microsoft has dec... […]
- Smart Tech Upgrades to Improve Home Function on September 17, 2018 at 11:03 am
Today, smart devices seamlessly integrate into connected ... Opening skylights in conjunction with vertical windows removes polluted air from the home and promotes an overall healthier lifestyle. […]
- Chime in: What do you think of Windows 10 IoT? on September 17, 2018 at 7:30 am
Windows 10 IoT stands for "Internet of Things," and it's a ... There is a growing, untapped domestic IoT market on the rise, including everything from connected coffee machines to smart speakers. Micr... […]
- How to enhance your Windows desktop on September 17, 2018 at 7:01 am
Surely there’s a helpful middle ground? The smart news is there’s a host of clever, useful, and possibly silly add-ons for Windows that push the desktop to the next level of functionality. We’re going ... […]
via Google News and Bing News