Fertilisers with lower environmental impacts and reduced costs for farmers are being developed by University of Adelaide researchers in the world-first use of the new advanced material graphene as a fertiliser carrier.
In partnership with industry, the researchers have demonstrated effective slow release fertilisers can be produced from loading essential trace elements onto graphene oxide sheets.
Using graphene as a carrier means the fertilisers can be applied in a more targeted fashion, with overall increased fertiliser efficiency and great nutrient uptake by the plants. The graphene-based carriers have so far been demonstrated with the micronutrients zinc and copper. Work is continuing with macronutrients such as nitrogen and phosphate.
“Fertilisers that show slower, more controlled release and greater efficiency will have reduced impact on the environment and lower costs for farmers over conventional fertilisers, bringing significant potential benefit for both agriculture and the environment,” says Professor Mike McLaughlin, Head of the University of Adelaide’s Fertiliser Technology Research Centre at the Waite campus.
“Our research found that loading copper and zinc micronutrients onto graphene oxide sheets was an effective way to supply micronutrients to plants. It also increased the strength of the fertiliser granules for better transport and spreading ability.”
Professor Dusan Losic, nanotechnology leader in the University’s School of Chemical Engineering and Director of the University’s Australian Research Council (ARC) Research Hub for Graphene Enabled Industry Transformation, says: “Graphene is a novel new material only discovered in 2004 and has incredible properties, including a very high surface area, strength and adaptability to bind to different nutrients. We started exciting research on a broad range of applications of graphene four years ago – this is the first time graphene has been developed as a carrier for fertiliser nutrients.”
Learn more: Graphene promise for more efficient fertilisers
The Latest on: Fertilizer
via Google News
The Latest on: Fertilizer
- Fort Myers Beach proposes fertilizer ban, prevent algal blooms on November 12, 2018 at 1:05 pm
The battle continues between the green grass and the harmful algal blooms. There is a push to ban fertilizer year-round on Fort Myers Beach. Nutrient runoff chemicals found in fertilizer are a known p... […]
- Global Biochar Fertilizer Market 2025| Biogrow Limited, Biochar Farms, Anulekh, GreenBack, Carbon Fertilizer, Global Harvest Organics LLC on November 12, 2018 at 9:20 am
Researchmoz added Most up-to-date research on "Global Biochar Fertilizer Market Insights, Forecast to 2025" to its huge collection of research reports. This report researches the worldwide Biochar Fer... […]
- Thiosulfate Liquid Fertilizer's Market consumption forecast by applications and by countries for 2018 to 2025 scrutinized in new research on November 12, 2018 at 9:07 am
Category: Market Research Publishers and RetailersCompany about: The Market Reports aims to provide the best industry and market reports to a seeker. We are looking forward to a place where we are the ... […]
- Biochar Fertilizer Market: 2018 Trend, Demand Analysis & 2023 Industry Growth Forecast Report by Key Manufacturers on November 12, 2018 at 8:39 am
This Report covers the manufacturers' data, including: shipment, price, revenue, gross profit, interview record, business distribution etc., these data help the consumer know about the competitors bet... […]
- New report: Chelate Fertilizer market research on November 12, 2018 at 5:52 am
Chelate Fertilizer Market to witness consistent growth in next 5 years by top Key Players (Agrium, Yara, The Mosaic Company, Coromandel International) What is chelated fertilizer? The word chelate is ... […]
- Fertilizer Mixture Market Expected To Propel The Growth Based On Increasing Demand From Agriculture Industry Till 2022 | Million Insights on November 12, 2018 at 4:25 am
According to new report available with Million Insights, The market is subject to witness a substantial growth due to the increasing adoption of fertilizer mixture for inorganic fertilizers and high-e... […]
- Biochar Fertilizer 2018 Global Industry Key Companies – Biogrow Limited , Anulekh , GreenBack Market Analysis And Forecast To 2025 on November 11, 2018 at 11:23 pm
This report studies the global Biochar Fertilizer market status and forecast, categorizes the global Biochar Fertilizer market size (value & volume) by manufacturers, type, application, and region. Th... […]
- UNL professor promotes use of manure as natural fertilizer on November 8, 2018 at 10:12 pm
Amy Schmidt, a biological systems engineering professor at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, said analyzing manure was the only job opportunity that excited her after finishing her bachelor’s degree ... […]
- Fertilizer facility project will benefit riverport, agriculture on November 7, 2018 at 11:19 pm
The Paducah-McCracken County Riverport Authority has reached a lease agreement for the construction and operation of a new fertilizer-handling facility which will significantly upgrade its services fo... […]
via Bing News