Aging or impaired brains can once again form lasting memories if an enzyme that applies the brakes too hard on a key gene is lifted, according to University of California, Irvine neurobiologists.
“What we’ve discovered is that if we free up that DNA again, now the aging brain can form long-term memories normally,” said senior author Marcelo Wood, UCI’s Francisco J. Ayala Chair in Neurobiology & Behavior, who will present the findings at the American Association for the Advancement of Science’s annual meeting, in Austin, Texas. “In order to form a long-term memory, you have to turn specific genes on. In most young brains, that happens easily, but as we get older and our brain gets older, we have trouble with that.”
That’s because the 6 feet of DNA spooled tightly into every cell in our bodies has a harder time releasing itself as needed, he explained. Like many body parts, “it’s no longer as flexible as it used to be.” The stiffness in this case is due to a molecular brake pad called histone deacetylase 3, or HDAC3, that has become “overeager” in the aged brain and is compacting the material too hard, blocking the release of a gene called Period1. Removing HDAC3 restores flexibility and allows internal cell machinery to access Period1 to begin forming new memories.
Researchers had previously theorized that the loss of transcription and encoding functions in older brains was due to deteriorating core circadian clocks. But Wood and his team, notably postdoctoral fellow Janine Kwapis, found that the ability to create lasting memories was linked to a different process – the overly aggressive enzyme blocking the release of Period1 – in the same hippocampus region of the brain.
That’s potentially good news for developing treatments. “New drugs targeting HDAC3 could provide an exciting avenue to allow older people to improve memory formation,” Wood said.
The Latest on: Memory restoration
- PNY Elite microSDXC UHS-I 512GB Memory Card Capsule Review on September 18, 2018 at 2:00 pm
Different memory cards have different ways to bring them to a fresh ... In order to test out the effectiveness of the performance restoration process, we run the default sequential workloads in Crysta... […]
- GALLERY: Maldon car enthusiast's American car rally in memory of Burt Reynolds on September 18, 2018 at 7:40 am
organised a gigantic convoy of 500 vehicles to travel around the M25 in memory of the star, who sadly died on September 6, and fellow actor and musician Jerry Reed. Mr Edwards, of Fullbridge, Maldon, ... […]
- Flavel home nears restoration on September 14, 2018 at 9:23 am
22 to show off progress and raise money for another project to honor Greg Newenhof’s memory: a biography of the Flavel family ... He planned to sell his original residence to fund the restoration and ... […]
- MEMORY LANE: Fred the buck finds home at Columbus Fireman's Park in 1978 on September 14, 2018 at 9:00 am
Farmers & Merchants Union Bank neared the completion of the historic façade restoration. The bank was designed and built in 1919 by Louis Sullivan, who was Frank Lloyd Wright’s mentor. Behind the scaf... […]
- Capitol Theater's Grand Barton Organ Restoration Set To Begin Next Spring on September 14, 2018 at 6:48 am
providing generous donations exceeding the restoration goal by the Spring of 2018, including a major gift from Vance and Jody Tang, in memory of Donald Dietzler and in honor of William Dietzler. "We'r... […]
- 6 Restoration Projects Bringing Mexico's Past Into the Present on September 13, 2018 at 3:25 am
Today, it's common to hear well-known architects calling for, not the creation of new spaces, but for the restoration of already existing ones. This stance insists that it is one's duty as an architec... […]
- Salish Creek restoration project intended to rehabilitate fish habitat on September 12, 2018 at 3:39 pm
First envisioned by Metro Vancouver in 2012, the restoration project was able to progress last year with a $250,000 donation to UBC from the UBC engineering alumnus Colin D. Watson and his wife Barbar... […]
- Great Siege restoration ‘essential’ minister says on Caruana Galizia memorial on September 11, 2018 at 1:55 am
Heritage Malta will be overseeing the restoration of the monument ... which usually has flowers and candles placed upon it to honour the memory of Caruana Galizia. Bonnici said such mourners should ex... […]
- Third ‘restoration’ of Catholic artwork in Spain sparks outrage, hilarity on September 10, 2018 at 6:28 pm
Reactions to the restoration on Twitter ranged from the amused to the outraged ... they could not stop devotion to Brenner’s memory. The Chapel of the Good Pastor was built in 1989 on the spot where h... […]
- Boy Scout takes on cleanup, restoration and research of Indian burial ground on September 9, 2018 at 6:24 pm
The restored site will bring the Matinecocks new recognition, she said. “Their history is being told and their memory is being kept alive,” she said. By Ted Phillips [email protected] @tedephil... […]
via Google News and Bing News