Big-data approach has potential to improve prediction of psychiatric and other medical disorders
Computer-based analyses of speech transcripts obtained from interviews with at-risk youths were able to predict which youths would later develop psy-chosis within two years, with an accuracy of up to 83 percent. In two independent cohorts of young people at risk for psychosis, a disturbance in the flow of meaning when speaking, other-wise known as being tangential or going off track, predicted who would later develop psychosis.
This same computer-based language classifier was able to predict psychosis onset in a second at-risk cohort with 79 percent accuracy, and could discriminate speech from individuals with psy-chosis from healthy individuals with an accuracy of 72 percent.
Taken together, the results from this study suggest that this technology has the potential to im-prove prediction of psychosis and other disorders.
The results of the study will be published online in World Psychiatry on January 22.
Disorganized thinking, a symptom of psychosis, is regularly assessed using interview-based clinical ratings of speech. It is characterized by tangential language, looseness of associations, and reduced complexity of speech. While it can be severe enough to impair effective communi-cation, language disturbance is more typically a subtle but persistent feature that can be present prior to the onset of psychosis in young people at risk.
This study examined transcripts from interviews with at-risk young people in two different co-horts–one in New York City with 34 participants and one in Los Angeles with 59 participants–for whom psychosis onset within the next two years was known. The transcripts were analyzed by computer using automated natural language processing methods to determine differences in speech between those who developed psychosis and those who did not.
“The results of this study are exciting because this technology has the potential to improve pre-diction of psychosis and ultimately help us prevent psychosis by helping researchers develop re-mediation and training strategies that target the cognitive deficits that may underlie language dis-turbance,” said the study’s first author, Cheryl Corcoran, MD, Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Program Leader in Psychosis Risk, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
“More broadly, language and behavior are the primary sources of data for psychiatrists to diag-nose and treat mental disorders,” said Dr. Corcoran. “There are now novel computerized methods to characterize complex behaviors such as language. Speech is easy to collect and inexpensive to analyze using computer-based analysis. This technology could be applied across psychiatry, and plausibly in other fields of medicine.”
The Latest on: Speech analysis software
via Google News
The Latest on: Speech analysis software
- Text-to-Speech Education Technology Market Witnessing Phenomenal Growth in 2025 Analysis by Claro Software, Text Help, goQ Software, Lumen Vox on February 18, 2019 at 7:38 pm
Houston, TX -- (SBWIRE) -- 02/18/2019 -- The report provides a valuable source of perceptive data for business strategists and competitive analysis of Text-to-Speech Education Technology Market. It pr... […]
- India- Speech Based Interactive Voice Response Software 2019 Global Trends, Market Size, Share, Status, SWOT Analysis and Forecast to 2024 on February 13, 2019 at 12:12 am
(MENAFN - GetNews) WiseGuyRerports.com Presents 'Global Speech Based Interactive Voice Response Software Market 2019 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2024' New Document to ... […]
- Speech Based Interactive Voice Response Software Global Market Demand, Growth, Opportunities, Top Key Players and Forecast to 2024 on February 12, 2019 at 8:54 pm
Request For Sample Report @ https://www.wiseguyreports.com/sample-request/3735304-global-speech-based-interactive-voice-response-software-market Market Segment by Regions, regional analysis covers Nor... […]
- Speech Based Interactive Voice Response Software Market 2019: It is predicted to reach US$ 2480 million to Unlock Growth Opportunities by 2024 on February 11, 2019 at 9:59 pm
The market study puts forward estimates for Global Speech Based Interactive Voice Response Software Market 2019 analysis and Forecast till 2024. Some of the leading Companies incorporated in this Rese... […]
- Speech Based Interactive Voice Response Software Market 2019 Global Survey and Research Report Up To 2024 on February 11, 2019 at 1:12 pm
3) Focuses on the key global Speech Based Interactive Voice Response Software key players, to define, describe and analyse the value, market share, market competition landscape, SWOT analysis and deve... […]
- Cardano Price Analysis: ADA/USDT Jumps to Highest Levels in Two Weeks Ahead of IOHK Summit on February 9, 2019 at 11:40 am
This is anticipated to be detailed by the Founder and CEO Charles Hoskinson in his keynote speech. Furthermore ... intermittent updates about important software releases.&rdquo […]
- Software that can automatically detect fake news on February 1, 2019 at 6:24 am
As well as processing text, the tool also factors metadata into its analysis and delivers its findings in visual form. "Our software focuses ... ability to detect hate speech. […]
- Global Speech Recognition Software Market to 2025: Segmentation by Product Types, Applications and Regional Analysis on January 17, 2019 at 4:00 pm
Global Speech Recognition Software Market Size, Status and Forecast 2019-2025; the latest report focuses on current market status, estimated forecast, growth opportunities, key market and top players. ... […]
- Interpol’s New Software Will Recognize Criminals by Their Voices on May 16, 2018 at 8:13 am
The world’s largest police network is evaluating software that would match samples of speech ... The platform, as described by developers, would employ several speech analysis algorithms to filter voi... […]
via Bing News