Researchers at Oregon State University have designed and fabricated the world’s smallest electro-optic modulator, which could mean major reductions in energy used by data centers and supercomputers.
An electro-optic modulator plays the key role in fiber optic networks. Just as a transistor is a switch for electronic signals, an electro-optic modulator is a switch for optical signals. Optical communication uses light, so the modulator turns on and off the light that sends a stream of binary signals over optical fibers.
The new modulator is 10 times smaller and can potentially be 100 times more energy efficient than the best previous devices. It is roughly the size of a bacterium, measuring 0.6 by 8 microns.
“This is by far the most exciting research I have ever done because of the impact the device will bring and because of the challenge it was for design and fabrication,” said Alan Wang, associate professor of electrical engineering in the OSU College of Engineering.
The paper was published by Nano Letters.
For their invention, Wang and his doctoral student, Erwen Li, leveraged technology also developed at Oregon State: transparent conductive oxide materials. The structure they invented uses a transparent conductive oxide gate instead of a typical metal gate to combine a metal-oxide semiconductor capacitor with an ultra-compact photonic crystal nanocavity.
The design, combining innovations in materials and devices, enhanced the interaction between electronics and photonics, which enabled the researchers to create a smaller electro-optic modulator.
Wang had consulted his colleagues in industry about whether he was on the right track for developing something they could use.
“They told me reducing the size and reducing the energy consumption is going to be the trend in the next five to 10 years in industry. So this is exactly the kind of device they’re looking for,” Wang said.
The Latest on: Energy consumption
- Battery Energy Storage for Renewables Consumption Market Size, Share, Trends, Growth, Applications, Regional Analysis by 2023 on October 5, 2018 at 6:41 pm
In this report, RR Information covers the present scenario (with the base year being 2017) and the growth prospects of global Battery Energy Storage for Renewables market for 2018-2023. Get Sample Cop... […]
- India's cooling energy consumption to grow around 2.2 times by 2027: Report on October 5, 2018 at 8:01 am
New Delhi, Oct 5 () The country's cooling energy demand will rise to 2.2 times the existing level by 2027 and interventions can help cut it down by 17 per cent in the next decade, a report said. […]
- India’s cooling energy consumption to more than double by 2027 on October 5, 2018 at 7:59 am
India’s cooling energy consumption is expected to grow around 2.2 times in 2027 over the current baseline according to the Alliance for an Energy Efficient Economy (AEEE). The report was commissioned ... […]
- IEA: Rising consumption of plastics to drive oil demand growth on October 5, 2018 at 7:28 am
That’s according to the International Energy Agency (IEA), which suggests petrochemicals ... demand for petrochemicals is far outweighed by sharply increasing plastic consumption in emerging economies ... […]
- Rise in Energy Drinks Consumption Among Teens Observed on October 5, 2018 at 4:42 am
Rise in energy drinks consumption among teens found: Could digital marketing be the culprit? Energy drinks are known to cause dental problems, cardiovascular and neurological issues in people. The fin... […]
- Sensor detects energy use, idler wear on October 4, 2018 at 3:47 pm
Reliable conveyor belt operation is key to productivity in mines, according to Voith, which notes that even small deviations from the optimum alignment increase energy consumption and lead to belt mis... […]
- The 5G Dilemma: More Base Stations, More Antennas—Less Energy? on October 3, 2018 at 1:22 pm
where methods for reducing energy consumption have become a hot topic. The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) has published challenging, measurable requirements on the data rates ... […]
- Global Turbine Monitoring and Controls Market 2018-2022 | Rising Wind Energy Consumption Drives Growth | Technavio on October 2, 2018 at 10:38 am
LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct 2, 2018--The global turbine monitoring and controls market report by predicts the market to post a CAGR of around 5% during the period 2018-2022. This press release featur... […]
- Mexican Cold Storage Operator Reduces Energy Consumption 20% Using Thermal Energy Storage on October 2, 2018 at 5:30 am
Viking Cold Solutions, the leading Thermal Energy Storage (TES) provider for the low-temperature cold storage industry, announced its partnership with Red de Frios to manage energy usage in one of its ... […]
- Tunisia wants to produce 30% of its energy consumption in 2030 (minister) on September 28, 2018 at 7:28 am
Minister of Industry and SMEs, Slim Feriani said Tuesday, September 25, 2018 Tunisia needs to reduce the cost of energy and establish energy equity between regions, through the development of ... […]
via Google News and Bing News