Physicists at Aalto University have made a breakthrough in revising methods largely discarded 15 years ago.
They have discovered a microscopic mechanism that will allow gallium nitride semiconductors to be used in electronic devices that distribute large amounts of electric power.
The trick is to be able to use beryllium atoms in gallium nitride. Gallium nitride is a compound widely used in semiconductors in consumer electronics from LED lights to game consoles. To be useful in devices that need to process considerably more energy than in your everyday home entertainment, though, gallium nitride needs to be manipulated in new ways on the atomic level.
“There is growing demand for semiconducting gallium nitride in the power electronics industry. To make electronic devices that can process the amounts of power required in, say, electric cars, we need structures based on large-area semi-insulating semiconductors with properties that allow minimising power loss and can dissipate heat efficiently. To achieve this, adding beryllium into gallium nitride – or ‘doping’ it – shows great promise,” explains Professor Filip Tuomisto from Aalto University.
Experiments with beryllium doping were conducted in the late 1990s in the hope that beryllium would prove more efficient as a doping agent than the prevailing magnesium used in LED lights. The work proved unsuccessful, however, and research on beryllium was largely discarded.
Working with scientists in Texas and Warsaw, researchers at Aalto University have now managed to show – thanks to advances in computer modelling and experimental techniques – that beryllium can actually perform useful functions in gallium nitride. The article published in Physical Review Letters shows that depending on whether the material is heated or cooled, beryllium atoms will switch positions, changing their nature of either donating or accepting electrons.
“Our results provide valuable knowledge for experimental scientists about the fundamentals of how beryllium changes its behaviour during the manufacturing process. During it – while being subjected to high temperatures – the doped compound functions very differently than the end result,” describes Tuomisto.
If the beryllium-doped gallium nitride structures and their electronic properties can be fully controlled, power electronics could move to a whole new realm of energy efficiency.
“The magnitude of the change in energy efficiency could as be similar as when we moved to LED lights from traditional incandescent light bulbs. It could be possible to cut down the global power consumption by up to ten per cent by cutting the energy losses in power distribution systems,” says Tuomisto.
The Latest on: Global power consumption
- Research report explores the global wbg power devices industry on November 19, 2017 at 6:29 pm
The Global WBG Power Devices Industry 2017 Market Research Report is ... This report also states import/export, supply and consumption figures as well as cost, price, revenue and gross margin by regions (United States, EU, China and Japan), and other ... […]
- Wireless Power Transmission Market Historical Analysis 2017 and Industry Expected to Reach USD 12 billion with 24% CAGR by Forecast 2022 on November 19, 2017 at 4:36 pm
The market has various benefits for end-users such as convenience, lower energy consumption & prolonged battery life ... North-America accounted for the largest market share in the global wireless power transmission market whereas European region is ... […]
- Global MOSFET Power Drivers Consumption (Units) by Applications (2012-2022) Analysis in Latest Research Report on November 19, 2017 at 12:21 am
(EMAILWIRE.COM, November 19, 2017 ) Global MOSFET Power Drivers Market report is replete with detailed analysis from a thorough research, especially on questions that border on market size, development environment, futuristic developments, operation ... […]
- Fiji Joins Global Partnership to Accelerate Clean Growth Powering Past Coal Alliance on November 18, 2017 at 11:53 am
“Reducing global coal consumption should be a vital and urgent priority for ... to the world that the time of coal has passed,” Ms Perry said. “Phasing out coal power is good news for the climate, for our health, and for our kids,” said Canada ... […]
- Smartphone Power Management ICs Market 2017- Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast By 2022 on November 17, 2017 at 5:31 am
consumption, revenue (million USD), market share and growth rate of Smartphone Power Management ICs in these regions, from 2012 to 2022 (forecast), covering Request for Sample [email protected] https://www.wiseguyreports.com/sample-request/1099808-global ... […]
- Global Data Center Power Market Forecasts from 2017 to 2022 - Initiatives Towards Reducing Carbon Footprints Driving the Market - Research and Markets on November 17, 2017 at 4:31 am
Expansion of data center market has resulted in the exponential growth in power consumption all around the globe ... Some major market drivers of the power market are global initiative towards reducing carbon footprints and need for immense power density ... […]
- Global Fuel Dispensing Systems Market Professional Survey Report 2017 on November 16, 2017 at 9:29 pm
This report also states import/export, supply and consumption figures as well as cost ... 2022 is a professional and in-depth study on the current state [..] Global Telecom Power System Market Research Report [..] Global And China Telecom Power System ... […]
- Growth in global energy-related carbon dioxide emissions expected to slow on November 16, 2017 at 7:40 am
Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration, International Energy Outlook 2017 Reference case EIA projects that growth in global carbon ... energy and nuclear power accounted for 14% of non-OECD countries’ energy consumption. By 2040, the IEO2017 ... […]
- Global Motor Control Contactors Market 2017-2021: Emergence of Miniature and Auxiliary Contactors on November 16, 2017 at 7:30 am
The "Global Motor Control Contactors Market 2017-2021" report ... and SCADA systems through an industrial communication network. If the system senses that power consumption is exceeding the pre-defined threshold, it immediately sends the warning to the ... […]
- Global Power Lithium Battery Market Sales Report 2016- Production, Revenue, Consumption, Import and Export on November 6, 2017 at 4:42 pm
This report studies sales (consumption) of Power Lithium Battery in Global market, especially in USA, China, Europe, Japan, India and Southeast Asia, focuses on top players in these regions/countries, with sales, price, revenue and market share for each ... […]
via Google News and Bing News