A new study shows that a 70-year-old malaria drug can block immune cells in the liver so nanoparticles can arrive at their intended tumor site, overcoming a significant hurdle of targeted drug delivery, according to a team of researchers led by Houston Methodist.
Many cancer patients do not respond to chemotherapies because the drugs never reach the cancer cells. Even in nanomedicine, which is one of the best new methods for delivering drugs to a tumor, only about one percent of a dose of nanoparticles will successfully arrive at the intended tumor site, while the rest are filtered out by the immune cells of the liver and spleen.
Using chloroquine, the researchers not only increased the circulation of nanoparticles in the body, but also reduced the body’s filtration of nanoparticles, as well as improved drug delivery to breast tumors. The study was recently published in Scientific Reports, a research journal from the Nature Publishing Group.
Led by Mauro Ferrari, Ph.D., president and CEO of the Houston Methodist Research Institute, and Joy Wolfram, Ph.D. (now at Mayo Clinic’s campus in Jacksonville, Florida), the research showed that chloroquine interfered with immune cells called macrophages, which are used by the body to identify microscopic foreign objects and destroy them.
In this study, mice models received injections of chloroquine, followed by an injection of nanoparticles. Chloroquine decreased the macrophages’ ability to clean up the nanoparticles. The findings are significant, because the nanoparticles not only remained in circulation, but also accumulated in mouse tumors, as well as in the lungs of healthy mice, suggesting that the approach also may enhance treatment for lung diseases.
Chloroquine was invented in the 1940s for the prevention and treatment of malaria. Since it mildly suppresses the immune system, the drug also is used in some autoimmune disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. Apart from this research, the drug is also being studied in other cancers, such as triple-negative breast cancer and pancreatic cancer.
Ferrari, considered one of the founders of nanomedicine and transport oncophysics (the physics of mass transport within a cancer lesion), says researchers and clinicians need to understand the limitations of transport mechanisms to identify effective immunotherapy treatments for patients.
The Latest on: Drug delivery
- RNAi Drug Delivery Market Outlook 2021 | Revenue Models on December 11, 2017 at 11:33 pm
RNAi Drug Delivery Market by Drug Delivery (nanoparticle drug delivery technology, pulmonary drug delivery technology, nucleic acid drug delivery technology and aptamer drug delivery technology), by Therapeutic Application (infectious diseases, cardiology ... […]
- Global Nasal Drug Delivery Technology Market Analysis: Growing Acceptance of Self-Administration Applies by 2024 on December 11, 2017 at 8:58 pm
The new report “Global Nasal Drug Delivery Technology Market accounted to USD 45.0 billion in 2016 growing at a CAGR of 7.0% during the forecast period of 2017 to 2024”. The upcoming market report contains data for historic years 2015, the base year of ... […]
- Injectable Drug Delivery Devices Market by Devices and Formulation, Etc. Types and Foresight to 2023 on December 11, 2017 at 12:02 pm
Injectable drug delivery devices Market provide a detailed analysis, mainly based on Value Chain analysis, Porter’s Five Forces, Price analysis, and Supply Chain analysis etc. Becton Dickinson and Company (US), Baxter International (US), Schott AG ... […]
- New Cumberland man charged with drug delivery resulting in death on December 11, 2017 at 7:25 am
A New Cumberland man was arrested and charged with drug delivery resulting in death after police say he provided a fatal dose of drugs to a woman he referred to as “mom.” Richard Andre Ledoux, 44, is charged with felony drug delivery resulting in death ... […]
- Oral Controlled Drug Delivery System Sales Market Analysis with Global Forecast to 2022 – Detailed Research by Types & Applications on December 10, 2017 at 10:07 am
The global Oral Controlled Drug Delivery System Sales market is valued at USD XX million in 2016 and is expected to reach USD XX million by the end of 2022, growing at a CAGR of XX% between 2016 and 2022. Global Oral Controlled Drug Delivery System Sales ... […]
- Phillips-Medisize creates center of excellence for connected health and drug-delivery devices on December 7, 2017 at 12:01 pm
When Phillips-Medisize (Hudson, WI) was acquired by Molex LLC (Lisle, IL) last year, Phillips-Medisize President and CEO Matt Jennings declared that the deal would help it to become “a global leader in connected health solutions.” That ambition reached ... […]
- North America Injectable Drug Delivery Market 2017: Analysis, Companies Profiles, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast to 2024 - Research and Markets on December 7, 2017 at 10:39 am
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "North America Injectable Drug Delivery Market: Analysis, Companies Profiles, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast to 2024" report has been added to Research and Markets' offering. The North America Injectable Drug Delivery ... […]
- Global Injectable Drug Delivery Market Forecasts to 2024 - Increasing Occurrence of Needle-Stick Injurie - Research and Markets on December 7, 2017 at 5:12 am
The "Global Injectable Drug Delivery Market: Analysis, Companies Profiles, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast to 2024" report has been added to Research and Markets' offering. The Global Injectable Drug Delivery Market is accounted to reach USD 789.7 ... […]
- Microneedle Drug Delivery System Market to Discern Magnified Growth During 2017-2025 on December 6, 2017 at 6:51 pm
Microneedles are used for micro-projections of drugs. Microneedles are the pathways to biological membranes which can create transport pathways of micron dimensions for sampling body fluids, such as for measuring the blood glucose levels in diabetic therapy. […]
- Global Drug-delivery Smart Pill Market 2017 Size, Development Status, Type, Application, Segmentation, Forecast by 2022 on December 6, 2017 at 3:31 am
This report studies Drug-delivery Smart Pill in Global market, especially in North America, China, Europe, Southeast Asia, Japan and India, with production, revenue, consumption, import and export in these regions, from 2012 to 2016, and forecast to 2022. […]
via Google News and Bing News