From the lab of City College of New York chemical engineer and Fulbright Scholar Teresa J. Bandosz comes a groundbreaking development with the potential to thwart chemical warfare agents: smart textiles with the ability to rapidly detect and neutralize nerve gas.
The fabric consists of a cotton support modified with Cu-BTC MOF/oxidized graphitic carbon nitride composites. The latter were developed in the lab previously and tested as nerve agent detoxification media and colorimetric detectors.
Combining Cu-BTC and g-C3N4-ox resulted in a nanocomposite (MOFgCNox) of heterogeneous porosity and chemistry. Upon the deposition of MOFgCNox onto cotton textiles, a stable fabric with supreme photocatalytic detoxification ability towards the nerve gas surrogate, dimethyl chlorophosphate, was obtained.
The detoxification process was accompanied by a visible and gradual color change, which Bandosz said can be used for the selective detection of chemical warfare agents and for monitoring their penetration inside a protective layer.
“These smart textiles adsorbed almost 7g of CWA surrogate/its detoxification products per gram of Cu. The superior performance was linked to the high dispersion of the MOF crystals on the fibers, and a specific texture promoting the availability of the active copper centers,” said Bandosz, who is seeking funding for additional research.
The Latest on: Smart fabric
- Protecting smart cities and smart people on April 18, 2019 at 5:10 am
Moreover, these concerns have become part of our societal fabric. Social media exploitation, daily data breaches, fraud and ransomware, seem almost daily occurrences. These threats need to be ... […]
- Echo Dot 3rd Gen Smart Speaker with Alexa only $23.32 each (less than Black Friday price) on April 17, 2019 at 1:50 pm
They are in stock and available in multiple colors. "Our most popular smart speaker - Now with a fabric design and improved speaker for richer and louder sound. Voice control your music - Stream songs ... […]
- Global Smart Fabric Market is anticipated to flourish at a CAGR of 21.6% during the Forecast period 2018-2023 on April 17, 2019 at 7:03 am
A Comprehensive research study conducted by KD Market Insights on "Global Smart Fabric market" report offers extensive and highly detailed historical, current and future market trends in the global ... […]
- Excellent growth of Smart Fabrics and Interactive Textiles Market Estimate To Boost Growth In Demand By 2025: Global Forecast, Market Overview on April 17, 2019 at 6:21 am
Apr 17, 2019 (Reports Monitor via COMTEX) -- Smart Fabrics and Interactive Textiles market provide a detailed analysis of the industry for the estimation period of 2019 - 2025. Smart Fabrics and ... […]
- Digital Asset’s Smart Contract Language Now Works on Hyperledger Blockchains on April 16, 2019 at 6:00 am
Enterprise blockchain firm Digital Asset is integrating its smart contract modeling language into the Hyperledger ... in terms of developer firepower and enterprise backing, after Fabric, developed by ... […]
- Rising Demand for Wearables to Propel Global Smart Fabrics and Interactive Textiles Market on April 15, 2019 at 4:04 pm
Albany, NY -- (SBWIRE) -- 04/15/2019 -- ResearchMoz include new market research report "Global Smart Fabrics and Interactive Textiles Market Insights, Forecast to 2025" to its huge collection of ... […]
- Smart Fabrics and Textiles Market Size to Grow at Humongous Growth of CAGR to 2024 on April 15, 2019 at 11:19 am
Apr 15, 2019 (Heraldkeeper via COMTEX) -- The latest research report on 'Smart Fabrics and Textiles market' by Market Study Report, LLC, presents a detailed analysis concerning market share, market ... […]
- Global Smart Fabrics Market Forecasts 2019-2025: Anticipating a CAGR of 30.4%, with the Market Reaching $5.55 Billion by 2025 on April 12, 2019 at 3:27 am
Dublin, April 12, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Smart Fabrics Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product (Active, Very Smart), By End Use (Defense & Military, Sports & Fitness), By ... […]
- Off-the-Shelf Smart Fabric Helps Athletic Coaching and Physical Therapy on April 10, 2019 at 7:30 am
A computer science research team at Dartmouth College has produced a smart fabric that can help athletes and physical therapy patients correct arm angles to optimize performance, reduce injury and ... […]
- Smart Fabric Can Sense Motion to Help Physical Therapy Patients to Optimize Recovery on April 9, 2019 at 1:35 pm
Researchers at Dartmouth College have developed a low-cost motion-sensing fabric that physical therapy patients can wear on their arm. The fabric can provide patients with feedback about the most ... […]
via Google News and Bing News