From the lab of City College of New York chemical engineer and Fulbright Scholar Teresa J. Bandosz comes a groundbreaking development with the potential to thwart chemical warfare agents: smart textiles with the ability to rapidly detect and neutralize nerve gas.
The fabric consists of a cotton support modified with Cu-BTC MOF/oxidized graphitic carbon nitride composites. The latter were developed in the lab previously and tested as nerve agent detoxification media and colorimetric detectors.
Combining Cu-BTC and g-C3N4-ox resulted in a nanocomposite (MOFgCNox) of heterogeneous porosity and chemistry. Upon the deposition of MOFgCNox onto cotton textiles, a stable fabric with supreme photocatalytic detoxification ability towards the nerve gas surrogate, dimethyl chlorophosphate, was obtained.
The detoxification process was accompanied by a visible and gradual color change, which Bandosz said can be used for the selective detection of chemical warfare agents and for monitoring their penetration inside a protective layer.
“These smart textiles adsorbed almost 7g of CWA surrogate/its detoxification products per gram of Cu. The superior performance was linked to the high dispersion of the MOF crystals on the fibers, and a specific texture promoting the availability of the active copper centers,” said Bandosz, who is seeking funding for additional research.
The Latest on: Smart fabric
- Magnetic Cotton? Researchers Grow Smart Materials with "Bio-fabrication" Technique on September 15, 2017 at 11:05 am
Cotton is one of the most promising fabrics for applications in wearable "smart materials", such as clothing that responds to changes in temperature, harnesses motion to power electronics, is highly-visible, or monitors body functions. Creating smart ... […]
- Report explores the smart clothing market to soar at of 50% CAGR to 2024 on September 15, 2017 at 8:13 am
Smart Clothing Market size is set to exceed USD 4 billion by ... sensors for monitoring physiological activities coupled with the rising cost of conductive fabrics used for manufacturing. Request Report @ www.marketstudyreport.com/check-for-discount ... […]
- Global Smart Textiles Market for Military Become Dominant At CAGR Of 9.6% By 2020 on September 15, 2017 at 2:55 am
Smart textiles or smart fabrics are created by integrating electronic components into them to increase the functionality of the product. Some of the integral parts of smart textiles are sensors, actuators, and control units. These fabrics are capable of ... […]
- The great coat reinvention: the smart outerwear brands that combine fashion with function on September 14, 2017 at 1:00 am
“All our fabrics are either waterproof or water-repellent and many ... Not only is the ideal cross-seasonal item, it is also smart enough for the office but casual enough to be worn with jeans and sneakers on the weekend. Our Tricouni peacoat is made ... […]
- Global Smart Fashion Market Precise Outlook Covering Major Development Trends and Competitive Landscape of Leading Players During 2017-2022 on September 13, 2017 at 3:33 pm
In the near future, the smart clothing is projected to gain traction due to the increasing demand for the smart fabric materials. Later, market segmentation is clearly presented. The global market of smart fashion is segmented on the basis of product types ... […]
- Who are the right partners to get you into more smart homes? on September 12, 2017 at 7:04 pm
So as an integral part of the communications fabric tying all this technology together, Comcast has relaunched its partner program, which curates and integrates best-in-class smart home devices into the Xfinity Home platform. See also: Five rules about ... […]
- Smart ForTwo And ForFour Get Minor Tech Updates In Frankfurt on September 12, 2017 at 2:11 am
Inside, customers can choose between fake leather and fabric in black/brown with brown contrast stitching and grey air vents. A set of 15-inch wheels painted black complete the alterations. Also new to the Smart range is Active Brake Assist. Available as ... […]
- Printed smart textiles shortlisted twice for international entrepreneurial awards on September 7, 2017 at 11:03 am
Electronics and electrical engineering research developing futuristic smart fabrics has been highlighted in two competition finals for next generation technologies. Researchers from Electronics and Computer Science (ECS) at the University of Southampton ... […]
- E-skin smart shirt monitors fitness and health on September 7, 2017 at 9:28 am
A motion and gesture-tracking smart shirt has stretchable wires and sensors integrated ... say they were the first to develop the Printed Circuit Fabric - or PCF - technology. They say this makes it robust enough for sports, as well as gaming and daily ... […]
- Smart Fabrics And Textiles Market To Grow At A CAGR of 20.7% By 2022: Hexa Reports on September 5, 2017 at 8:15 am
In production market, the "Global Smart Fabrics and Textiles Industry" revenue will increases to 1760 Million USD in 2017 from 700 Million USD in 2012 with the 20.7% average growth rate. This report studies the Smart Fabrics and Textiles Market status and ... […]
via Google News and Bing News