As the world population continues to balloon, agricultural experts puzzle over how farms will produce enough food to keep up with demand.
One tactic involves boosting crop yields. Toward that end, scientists have developed a method to make a low-cost, biocompatible fertilizer with carbon dots derived from rapeseed pollen. The study, appearing in ACS Omega, found that applying the carbon dots to hydroponically cultivated lettuce promoted its growth by 50 percent.
Equipped with exceptional mechanical, thermal, optical and electrical properties, carbon nanomaterials are commonly associated with complex devices. Surprisingly, these materials could also have potential agricultural applications — some studies have shown that they increase plant growth. The problem with this concept, however, is that many carbon nanomaterials are expensive to produce and usually come with heavy metal contamination. For a safer alternative, Yingliang Liu, Bingfu Lei and colleagues turned to carbon dots, which previous studies have shown are biocompatible.
The researchers synthesized carbon dots by breaking apart and heating rapeseed pollen. The high-yield process was relatively inexpensive, costing 3 cents per gram. Testing the material as fertilizer on lettuce showed that at a concentration of 30 milligrams per liter of a nutrient solution, the plant biomass was nearly 50 percent greater in treated plants than those that didn’t receive the carbon dots. Additionally, because carbon dots are fluorescent, the researchers could track the materials under ultraviolet light. They saw that the materials were distributed mainly in the leaves. Further analysis also demonstrated that the levels of vitamin C, and soluble sugars and proteins weren’t affected.
The Latest on: Fertilizer
- Organic Fertilizer Granulator Manufacturers Introduce Machines with Energy Efficiency and Enhanced Production Capability on December 10, 2018 at 9:59 pm
New York, NY -- (SBWIRE) -- 12/10/2018 -- In the wake of tremendous growth of agriculture domain, fertilizers are being incessantly sought across several regions. Over 50% of the total food cultivatio... […]
- The Fertilizer Applicators Market will register a CAGR of over 6% by 2022 on December 10, 2018 at 2:07 pm
About this market Technological advances in fertilizer applicators are gaining traction in the market as increasing number of market players are using technologies including air boom technology and th... […]
- Fertilizer truck overturns on US 98 in Polk County on December 10, 2018 at 12:58 pm
FROSTPROOF, Fla. -- A semi-truck hauling fertilizer overturned on U.S. Highway 98 in Polk County, forcing its closure. The crash happened around 1:45 p.m. Monday between Pool Branch and Parrish roads, ... […]
- Global Fertilizer Mixtures Market Growth, Opportunities, Potential Applications and Analysis by 2025 on December 10, 2018 at 9:31 am
Fertilizer mixtures are dry granulated mineral fertilizers containing the most important elements for plant nutrition in the available form: nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. The process of mechanic... […]
- Abattis announces acquisition of fertilizer company Nutrivida on December 10, 2018 at 8:02 am
Abattis Bioceuticals (OTCQB:ATTBF +15.4%) announced signing a non-binding letter of intent to acquire 100% interest in NutriVida Corp. Pursuant to the terms, the Company will negotiate a purchase ... […]
- Fertilizer and other gardening gifts not to pooh-pooh on December 10, 2018 at 5:33 am
Some people give joke gifts. Others give useful gifts. If you combine the two and add a few earthy puns, the gift might be perfect. The Pinetree Manure Medley at $29.95 from Pinetree Garden Seeds (sup... […]
- CRU Set to Host Fertilizer Latino Americano in Mexico as the Event Celebrates 30 Years as the Region's Premier Fertilizer Conference on December 7, 2018 at 2:30 am
The Fertilizer Latino Americano conference will be coming to Mexico City in January 2019 and is celebrating 30 years as the industry's longest established and most influential networking event in Lati... […]
- Biological Organic Fertilizer Market 2018 by Regions, Type, Applications and Manufacturers on December 7, 2018 at 12:47 am
The key manufacturers covered in this report: Ballaleshwar Agro Bio-Tech, Gujarat State Fertilizers & Chemicals Ltd., T. Stanes & Company Limited, Futureco Bioscience S.L., Agri Life, Krishak Biotech ... […]
- 5 Fertilizer Trends To Watch on December 6, 2018 at 12:54 pm
It’s elemental—N, P, K, secondary nutrients and micronutrients. But with annual fertilizer sales totaling $180 billion—that’s three times more than crop protection sales, three times more than seed sa... […]
- Organic Ferric Fertilizer global market detailed in new research report 2018 on December 5, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Research 2 Reports offers premium progressive statistical surveying, market research reports, analysis & forecast data for industries and governments around the globe. The report firstly introduced th... […]
via Google News and Bing News