Researchers have developed a new synthesis route for alternative catalysts of noble metals for versatile chemical reactions that could help address environmental concerns.
Noble metals such as platinum are useful as catalysts for versatile chemical reactions including fuel cell vehicles and reduction of CO2 emission. However, they are too costly to be used for these purposes.
As inexpensive alternatives, organic-based catalysts and carbonaceous catalysts were explored, but were ultimately found to be impractical. This was because organic-based catalysts tend to be active but unstable, while carbonaceous catalysts are stable but less active.
In this work, researchers believe they have found a solution by developing a new synthesis route for intermediate materials of organic-based catalysts and carbonaceous catalysts.
While conventional carbonaceous catalysts have amorphous carbonaceous structures that cause a decline in catalytic activities (Fig. 1a), the new synthesis route enables the formation of carbonaceous catalysts with controlled chemical structures like organic-based catalysts (Fig. 1b). This synthesis route is capable of developing alternative catalysts of noble metals for many eco-friendly technologies such as fuel cell vehicles, hydrogen generation from water and CO2 reduction.
Fig.1 Synthesis schemes of (a) conventional carbonaceous catalysts and (b) this work for ordered carbonaceous frameworks.
The Latest on: Alternative catalysts
- Catalyst Capital Advisors LLC Sells 43,155 Shares of Pembina Pipeline Corp (PBA) on February 20, 2019 at 4:05 am
Catalyst Capital Advisors LLC trimmed its holdings in shares ... at $114,000 after buying an additional 2,210 shares in the last quarter. Finally, Virtus Alternative Investment Advisers Inc. purchased ... […]
- Brazil: Netflix catalyst for home video market recovery on February 20, 2019 at 2:59 am
The Netflix Effect The launch of Netflix in 2011 has acted as a catalyst for change in Brazil ... providing a low-cost alternative to pay-TV services. In a recent Living with Digital consumer survey c... […]
- Press release: Gazprom Neft’s construction of a catalyst plant in Omsk endorsed by the Government of the Russian Federation on February 18, 2019 at 3:58 am
The goods produced here will be able to compete on equal terms with imported alternatives on the domestic and international markets, in a sector that was, until very recently, critically dependent on ... […]
- Biodiesel Catalyst Market Growing Trends,Analysis & Demand to 2017 – 2025 on February 15, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Albany, NY -- (SBWIRE) -- 02/15/2019 -- Biodiesel can be used as alternative fuel for diesel engines ... and accumulation of fuel in lubricating oil. A catalyst, which can either be an acid or a base, ... […]
- Rapyd Raises $40M In A Round Led By General Catalyst And Stripe on February 13, 2019 at 10:07 am
The Series B round of funding was led by General Catalyst and Stripe, the digital payments company ... customers get access to a set of FinTech and payment capabilities enabling them to accept alterna... […]
- Preprints and catalysis on February 13, 2019 at 8:35 am
We analyse this phenomenon that is gaining popularity across all areas of catalysis. Some seek feedback before submission to a journal, some want to raise awareness or claim precedence of their upcomi... […]
- Electric cars could be the vehicles for a channel coup on February 13, 2019 at 3:05 am
Cars are unwittingly great vehicles for social change. Some say the car was a major catalyst for female emancipation. By the same token the electric vehicle could help transform our national grid and ... […]
- Ruthenium catalyst sets new efficiency record for water splitting on February 12, 2019 at 6:22 am
However, while comparable, the performance of these alternative catalysts hadn’t yet surpassed that of commercial platinum versions. But the ruthenium-based catalyst demonstrated by scientists in the ... […]
- Catalyst Pharma sees net price of drug, once free, topping $300,000 on February 11, 2019 at 5:00 pm
The program allows those with rare diseases access to experimental drugs outside of a clinical trial when there is no viable alternative. Florida-based Catalyst, which in November received U.S. approv... […]
- These Catalysts Make Zynga Stock a Buy 2019 and Beyond on February 11, 2019 at 7:43 am
This includes a potential leaseback of its San Francisco building, plus more debt financing alternatives ... https://investorplace.com/2019/02/these-catalysts-make-zynga-stock-a-buy-2019-and ... […]
via Google News and Bing News