A new generation of manganese dioxide-zinc batteries with unprecedented cycle life and energy density is the latest innovation at The City College of New York-based CUNY Energy Institute. The discovery has made the common household battery suitable for large grid storage applications.
City College Senior Research Associate Gautam G. Yadav and his team applied a new twist to the old chemistry behind batteries. The result is a battery that takes advantage of intercalation and complexation chemistry to make the cathodes rechargeable to a larger extent, greatly extending its life.
“A new layered crystal structure of manganese dioxide is used in this chemistry, which is intercalated with copper ions. This makes it rechargeable to its theoretical capacity for a significant number of cycles,” said Yadav.
According to Yadav, this is the first time a novel calcium hydroxide interlayer is used to block the poisonous zinc ions through complexation. This in turn allows the battery to maintain its high energy density over 900 cycles.
A recent trend in the energy storage field has been to replace unsafe and expensive lithium-ion batteries with zinc-anode versions as zinc is cheap, abundant and much safer. Until now, the only detriment of this version has been the latter’s relatively short cycle life, which has not allowed it to be successfully commercialized as a rechargeable battery.
The Latest on: Manganese dioxide-zinc battery
- Inorganic Oxides Market Forecast and Segments, 2016-2026 on October 3, 2016 at 7:02 pm
Some of the most commonly encountered inorganic oxides are nitrous oxide, carbon dioxide, zinc oxide, sulfur dioxide, manganese dioxide ... pigments, foods, batteries, fire retardants and first-aid tapes among others. Carbon dioxide is one of the most ... […]
- Nevada's mining produces everyday products on March 5, 2016 at 2:00 am
WINNEMUCCA -- Each person working in Nevada’s mining industry contributes to the way each of us lives our lives. Arloa Woolford has worked within Nevada’s mining industry and has been committed to showing those in Nevada and the rest of the world how ... […]
- Catalogue for the Guidance of Foreign Investment Industries (Amended in 2007) on August 5, 2015 at 5:00 pm
Electric Machinery and Equipment Manufacture Industry (1) Manufacture of open-lead-acid cells, mercury Button Type Silver Oxide Cells, paste dioxide-zinc battery and nickel cadmium cells (6) Production of carcinogenic, teratogenic, mutagenesis and ... […]
- Weekly Update Newsletter - August 2014 on August 3, 2014 at 5:00 pm
- DoD, GSA, and NASA Issue an Interim Rule to Amend FAR: Equal Employment and Affirmative Action for Veterans and Individuals With Disabilities - DoD, GSA, and NASA Issue a Final Rule to Amend FAR: Small Business Protests and Appeals - DoD, GSA, and NASA ... […]
- Reportlinker Adds Batteries and Electronic Components Market for Portable Devices on October 7, 2009 at 1:09 am
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue. Batteries, Supercapacitors, Alternative Storage for Portable Devices 2009-2019 http://www.reportlinker.com/p0149601/Batteries ... […]
via Google News and Bing News