Researchers have developed a solar paint that can absorb water vapour and split it to generate hydrogen – the cleanest source of energy.
The paint contains a newly developed compound that acts like silica gel, which is used in sachets to absorb moisture and keep food, medicines and electronics fresh and dry.
But unlike silica gel, the new material, synthetic molybdenum-sulphide, also acts as a semi-conductor and catalyses the splitting of water atoms into hydrogen and oxygen.
RMIT lead researcher Dr Torben Daeneke said: “We found that mixing the compound with titanium oxide particles leads to a sunlight-absorbing paint that produces hydrogen fuel from solar energy and moist air.
“Titanium oxide is the white pigment that is already commonly used in wall paint, meaning that the simple addition of the new material can convert a brick wall into energy harvesting and fuel production real estate.
“Our new development has a big range of advantages,” he said. “There’s no need for clean or filtered water to feed the system. Any place that has water vapour in the air, even remote areas far from water, can produce fuel.”
His colleague, Distinguished Professor Kourosh Kalantar-zadeh, said hydrogen was the cleanest source of energy and could be used in fuel cells as well as conventional combustion engines as an alternative to fossil fuels.
“This system can also be used in very dry but hot climates near oceans. The sea water is evaporated by the hot sunlight and the vapour can then be absorbed to produce fuel.
“This is an extraordinary concept – making fuel from the sun and water vapour in the air.”
The Latest on: Solar paint
- Painting solar cells provides new path to market on October 7, 2018 at 5:05 pm
"You paint your house once every 15 years," says Berry. "You'd like this to last at least that long." Berry and others have found tremendous potential for perovskite solar cells. The technology's effi... […]
- Want Cheap Solar Cells? Paint Your Own Perovskite Solar Cell!! on October 5, 2018 at 8:32 am
Don’t go running to your local toy store just yet to buy that paint-by-numbers DIY solar cell kit, but it — or something like it — could be on the market some day in the sparkling green future. […]
- Open house planned at 1870's home that is now solar powered on October 5, 2018 at 1:35 am
ROGERSVILLE — When local resident Joanne Irvin renovated her 19th century house several years ago, she didn’t stop with a new roof, paint and flooring. She also switched to solar energy to produce muc... […]
- Solar-Powered San Anselmo Home With Sauna on October 3, 2018 at 3:07 pm
solar power and a sauna. Built in 1953, this home has four bedrooms and two bathrooms. There are multiple outdoor areas, as well as new paint and a new roof. […]
- Hungarian experts present home-heating wall paint on October 3, 2018 at 6:41 am
such as solar panels, and more items will be available in the future." The development is under a cooperation agreement signed in May between Poli-Farbe and the BME. The paint is expected to be put on ... […]
- Frost & Sullivan forecasts strong 2018 for solar, despite China’s policy setback on October 3, 2018 at 2:10 am
While China’s 31/5 announcement will have far reaching impacts for solar in particular, and a significant reduction to expected global installation figures, developments elsewhere paint a more positiv... […]
- Catch fall fever at these Halloween, Dia de los Muertos and other seasonal activities on October 2, 2018 at 2:00 pm
Halloween Solar Lantern Set Workshop — The Craft Revolt ... 322-5638. Witches Wine and Paint — Color Me Mine Tucson, 5870 E. Broadway. Paint and create for Halloween or Dia de los Muertos. […]
- Gunther Werks Covers Its Porsche 911 Carbon Body In Solar Red Paint on October 2, 2018 at 1:15 pm
Monterey, Calif. (August 24, 2018) – Gunther Werks, a company dedicated to remastering the iconic Porsche® 993, unveiled its newest 911 transformation during Rennsport Reunion VI at the world renowned ... […]
- Global PVC Type Paint Protection Film Industry Sales, Revenue, Gross Margin, Market Share, by Regions (2013-2025) on September 30, 2018 at 1:27 am
Global PVC Type Paint Protection Film Market Research Report 2018 ... Hexis Graphics (Hexis Sa), Orafol, Premiumshield, Solar Gard (Saint-Gobain), Sharpline Converting, Xpel and others. Purchase a cop... […]
- This cooling paint could slash A/C bills on September 28, 2018 at 10:10 am
A cooling paint that could easily deliver buildings a significant temperature drop could help cut down on expensive air-conditioning, one research team is suggesting. The light-reflecting material giv... […]
via Google News and Bing News