African farmers who are able to produce their own fertilizer from only air. Bhaskar S. Patil brings this prospect closer with a revolutionary reactor that coverts nitrogen from the atmosphere into NOx, the raw material for fertilizer. His method, in theory, is up to five times as efficient as existing processes, enabling farms to have a small-scale installation without the need for a big investment.
He receives his doctorate on 10 May at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e).
The production of one of the key raw materials for fertilizer, ammonia (NH3) or nitrogen oxide (NOx), is a very energy-intensive process that is responsible for about 2% of all global CO2emissions. However, it is hardly possible any longer to cut the energy consumption via current production processes since the theoretically minimal feasible energy consumption has already been more or less reached.
So the Indian PhD candidate Patil sought alternative methods to produce ammonia and nitrogen oxides for his PhD research, building two types of reactor, the Gliding Arc (GA) reactor and the Dielectric Barrier Discharge (DBD) reactor. In his experiments the GA reactor in particular appeared to be the most suited to producing nitrogen oxides. In this reactor, under atmospheric pressure, a plasma-front (a kind of mini lightning bolt) glides between two diverging metal surfaces, starting with a small opening (2 mm) to a width of 5 centimeters. This expansion causes the plasma to cool to room temperature. During the trajectory of the ‘lightning’, the nitrogen (N2) and oxygen (O2) molecules react in the immediate vicinity of the lightning front to nitrogen oxides (NO and NO2).
Patil optimized this reactor and at a volume of 6 liters per minute managed to achieve an energy consumption level of 2.8 MJ/mole, quite an improvement on the commercially developed methods that use approximately 0.5 MJ/mole. With the theoretical minimum of Patil’s reactor, however, being that much lower (0.1 MJ/mole), in the long term this plasma technique could be an energy-efficient alternative to the current energy-devouring ammonia and nitrate production. An added benefit is that Patil’s method requires no extra raw materials and production can be generated on a small scale using renewable energy, making his technique ideally suited for application in remote areas that have no access to power grids, such as parts of Africa, for instance.
The German Evonik Industries, who was involved in this research project, is right now working on the further development of the reactor. In addition, another PhD student at TU/e has begun elaborating this technology into a concrete business cases. Apart from use at remote farms, this technique can also be used to stimulate the growth of plants in greenhouses and to store sustainable energy in liquid fuels. The PhD research of Patil was financially supported by the EU MAPSYN consortium.
The Latest on: Nitrogen from the atmosphere into fertilizer
- 5 garden tips for the week starting May 27 on May 28, 2017 at 5:52 pm
Feed citrus trees once again. Mature citrus trees need a yearly total of 1.6 pounds of actual nitrogen fertilizer, divided into four equal portions applied in late January, early March, late April and early June — about six weeks apart — and ... […]
- Caltech Researcher's "Nitrogen Fixation" Research Could Shed Light on Biological Mystery on May 28, 2017 at 5:26 am
Fertilizers are chemical ... making up 78 percent of our atmosphere. However, most organisms cannot use nitrogen in its gaseous form. To make nitrogen usable, it must be “fixed”—turned into a form that can enter the food chain as a nutrient. […]
- Nitrogen fixation research could shed light on biological mystery on May 26, 2017 at 4:09 am
Fertilizers are chemical ... making up 78 percent of our atmosphere. However, most organisms cannot use nitrogen in its gaseous form. To make nitrogen usable, it must be "fixed"—turned into a form that can enter the food chain as a nutrient. […]
- Stable Nitrogen Isotope Helps Scientists Optimize Water, Fertilizer Use on May 24, 2017 at 1:01 am
Research has shown that less than 40% of the fertilizer applied globally is taken up by crops, while the remaining 60% is either lost to the atmosphere or to ... convert energy from sunlight into chemical energy. Nitrogen is often added to soil in the ... […]
- Revolutionary reactor coverts nitrogen from the atmosphere into the raw material for fertilizer at 5 times the efficiency on May 15, 2017 at 5:00 pm
African farmers who are able to produce their own fertilizer from only air. Bhaskar S. Patil brings this prospect closer with a revolutionary reactor that coverts nitrogen from the atmosphere into NOx, the raw material for fertilizer. His method, in theory ... […]
via Google News and Bing News