Researchers at The City College of New York-based CUNY Energy Institute announce the development of a novel low cost, rechargeable, high energy density battery that makes the widespread use of solar and wind power possible in the future. It is based on manganese dioxide (MnO2), an abundant, safe and non-toxic material.
In a paper in the journal “Nature Communications,” the scientists report that the uniqueness of the battery is that it is able to achieve both high cycle life and high areal capacity. Achieving high areal capacity is critical for packing a lot of battery electrodes together into a battery case. In essence a high areal capacity is required to build a real, practical battery, as opposed to a small toy battery.
Past researchers have achieved either high cycle life or high areal capacity, but never both together, the team notes.
The innovation that makes this possible is intercalating copper (Cu) into bismuth-modified ?-MnO2, which is called birnessite. The latter was discovered by Ford Motor Company in the 1980s, but it was never known how to use it at high areal capacity. This was later discovered at the CUNY Energy Institute by a team led by Sanjoy Banerjee, Distinguished Professor and director of the Institute.
The battery is intended for use at the scale of the power grid. This would make widespread use of solar and wind power possible.
CCNY research associate Gautam Yadav is the article’s lead author and principal inventor. Joshua Gallaway, Damon Turney, Michael Nyce, Jinchao Huang and Xia Wei were the other researchers.
Original paper: http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14424
Receive an email update when we add a new BATTERIES article.
The Latest on: High energy density battery
via Google News
The Latest on: High energy density battery
- Eaton to Supply High-Performance Inverters for Battery-Electric Passenger Vehicle on April 17, 2019 at 12:55 pm
Leveraging Eaton’s expertise managing high-voltage power, eMobility developed the vehicle inverters with a power density ... battery-electric transmissions, and high-voltage fuses. Eaton is a power ... […]
- Asian Energy Company Bangchak Invests in Enevate’s Fast-Charging EV Battery Technology on April 16, 2019 at 5:40 am
develops and licenses advanced silicon-dominant Li-ion battery technology that revolutionizes the ... HD-Energy Technology featuring extreme-fast charging with high energy density, excellent ... […]
- Thermal Battery Holds 1.2 Megawatt-Hours of Energy in a 20-Foot Box on April 10, 2019 at 9:33 am
A company called CCT Energy Storage just put Lonsdale, South Australia firmly on the map. In late March, the start-up unveiled the very first high-density thermal battery, which out-performs its ... […]
- Electric Vehicle Range Could Skyrocket with High-Density Innolith Battery on April 9, 2019 at 8:02 pm
It’s more like a long jump into batteries of the future, skipping a decade or two of painstaking R&D to incrementally increase lithium-ion battery density, one baby step at a time. With an energy ... […]
- Custom Battery Pack Manufacturer Announces Availability of 18650 Battery Pack that can deliver high power density on April 9, 2019 at 5:24 am
The company’s standard lithium ion battery pack model of 18650 is an excellent option for fulfilling the high energy density requirements of any application. With a sleek design, the battery pack can ... […]
- New Deka Ready Power Li-Ion Forklift Battery Features High-powered Li-Ion Technology on April 5, 2019 at 2:06 pm
high energy density, and rapid recharge. Designed to live up to the Deka name, it is built and backed by the industry’s most trusted support. A ten Battery Management System (BMS) design monitors each ... […]
- Innolith Claims It’s On Path To 1,000 Wh/kg Battery Energy Density on April 4, 2019 at 12:18 pm
... of Innolith Energy Battery would be radical cost reduction, due to: “avoidance of exotic and expensive materials combined with the very high energy density of the system”, as well as ... […]
- Hybrid cathodes improve energy density of lithium-sulfur batteries on March 25, 2019 at 10:37 pm
Normally, the sulfur in a lithium-sulfur battery is in the cathode ... there's a trade-off to be made – they can either have a high energy density in terms of weight (gravimetric), or in ... […]
- New research shows highest energy density all-solid-state batteries now possible on March 25, 2019 at 4:51 am
Scientists from Tohoku University and the High Energy Accelerator Research Organization have developed a new complex hydride lithium superionic conductor that could result in all-solid-state batteries ... […]
via Bing News