Researchers at The City College of New York-based CUNY Energy Institute announce the development of a novel low cost, rechargeable, high energy density battery that makes the widespread use of solar and wind power possible in the future. It is based on manganese dioxide (MnO2), an abundant, safe and non-toxic material.
In a paper in the journal “Nature Communications,” the scientists report that the uniqueness of the battery is that it is able to achieve both high cycle life and high areal capacity. Achieving high areal capacity is critical for packing a lot of battery electrodes together into a battery case. In essence a high areal capacity is required to build a real, practical battery, as opposed to a small toy battery.
Past researchers have achieved either high cycle life or high areal capacity, but never both together, the team notes.
The innovation that makes this possible is intercalating copper (Cu) into bismuth-modified ?-MnO2, which is called birnessite. The latter was discovered by Ford Motor Company in the 1980s, but it was never known how to use it at high areal capacity. This was later discovered at the CUNY Energy Institute by a team led by Sanjoy Banerjee, Distinguished Professor and director of the Institute.
The battery is intended for use at the scale of the power grid. This would make widespread use of solar and wind power possible.
CCNY research associate Gautam Yadav is the article’s lead author and principal inventor. Joshua Gallaway, Damon Turney, Michael Nyce, Jinchao Huang and Xia Wei were the other researchers.
Original paper: http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14424
Receive an email update when we add a new BATTERIES article.
The Latest on: High energy density battery
via Google News
The Latest on: High energy density battery
- AKASOL introducing new high energy battery systemon September 6, 2019 at 7:41 pm
The company’s flagship product is the new high-energy lithium-ion battery AKASystemAKM CYC, which has entered serial development for the battery module and system. The AKAModule CYC achieves energy ...
- Electric Vehicle Range Could Skyrocket with High-Density Innolith Batteryon April 8, 2019 at 5:00 pm
It’s more like a long jump into batteries of the future, skipping a decade or two of painstaking R&D to incrementally increase lithium-ion battery density, one baby step at a time. With an energy ...
- Hybrid cathodes improve energy density of lithium-sulfur batterieson March 25, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Normally, the sulfur in a lithium-sulfur battery is in the cathode, and these are built in one of two ways. Unfortunately though, there's a trade-off to be made – they can either have a high energy ...
- New research shows highest energy density all-solid-state batteries now possibleon March 25, 2019 at 4:47 am
Scientists from Tohoku University and the High Energy Accelerator Research Organization have developed a new complex hydride lithium superionic conductor that could result in all-solid-state batteries ...
- 24M Delivers First Commercial Scale, High Energy Density SemiSolid Lithium-ion Batterieson February 26, 2019 at 7:01 am
CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--24M announced today it has developed and delivered commercially viable, high energy density lithium-ion cells. Using its novel SemiSolid lithium-ion battery design ...
- 24M Delivers First Commercial Scale, High Energy Density SemiSolid Lithium-ion Batterieson February 26, 2019 at 6:37 am
24M announced today it has developed and delivered commercially viable, high energy density lithium-ion cells. Using its novel SemiSolid lithium-ion battery design in its pilot facility, 24M achieved ...
- Safran Acquires Stake in OXIS Energy, Leader in Lithium Sulfur Cell Technology for High Energy Density Battery Systemson January 22, 2019 at 10:59 am
OXIS Energy, a leader in lithium-sulfur cell technology for high energy density battery systems, has already been granted 173 patents with 96 pending. Benefiting from more than 15 years of R&D in the ...
- Honda’s Fluoride-Ion Battery Breakthrough Could Allow For Batteries With 10x More Energy Densityon December 7, 2018 at 4:08 pm
Honda says the research paves the way for “high energy-density batteries capable of meeting rapidly growing energy storage needs by overcoming the current temperature limitations of fluoride-based ...
- Scientists Discover Potential Performance Improvement in Energy Density Batteries Used in Everyday Technologyon November 11, 2018 at 5:20 am
Research has shown recently that these materials are very stable and applicable beyond lithium battery chemistries." "We wanted to exploit the stability of these anions to make ionic liquids that ...
via Bing News