Researchers at The City College of New York-based CUNY Energy Institute announce the development of a novel low cost, rechargeable, high energy density battery that makes the widespread use of solar and wind power possible in the future. It is based on manganese dioxide (MnO2), an abundant, safe and non-toxic material.
In a paper in the journal “Nature Communications,” the scientists report that the uniqueness of the battery is that it is able to achieve both high cycle life and high areal capacity. Achieving high areal capacity is critical for packing a lot of battery electrodes together into a battery case. In essence a high areal capacity is required to build a real, practical battery, as opposed to a small toy battery.
Past researchers have achieved either high cycle life or high areal capacity, but never both together, the team notes.
The innovation that makes this possible is intercalating copper (Cu) into bismuth-modified ?-MnO2, which is called birnessite. The latter was discovered by Ford Motor Company in the 1980s, but it was never known how to use it at high areal capacity. This was later discovered at the CUNY Energy Institute by a team led by Sanjoy Banerjee, Distinguished Professor and director of the Institute.
The battery is intended for use at the scale of the power grid. This would make widespread use of solar and wind power possible.
CCNY research associate Gautam Yadav is the article’s lead author and principal inventor. Joshua Gallaway, Damon Turney, Michael Nyce, Jinchao Huang and Xia Wei were the other researchers.
Original paper: http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14424
Receive an email update when we add a new BATTERIES article.
The Latest on: High energy density battery
via Google News
The Latest on: High energy density battery
- High Energy LIB SiCAM from CLB on February 7, 2019 at 5:40 pm
Used appropriately, it can increase battery energy density by up to 30%.” Global efforts to develop next generation high energy Lithium Ion Batteries (LIBs) to enable longer driving range EVs and high ... […]
- Tesla Model 3 2170 Energy Density Compared To Bolt, Model S P100D on February 7, 2019 at 6:41 am
Similarly, in the case of volumetric energy density we need to know the energy of the cell and the volume. Jack Rickard disassembled the Tesla Model 3 battery ... may be a bit high. […]
- CLB Americas Announces New Advanced Silicon Anode & Binder Material Package for NextGen High Energy Lithium Batteries on February 6, 2019 at 5:15 pm
Used appropriately, it can increase battery energy density by up to 30%." Global efforts to develop next generation high energy Lithium Ion Batteries (LIBs) to enable longer driving range EVs and high ... […]
- All Your Cell Are Belong To Us? Any High Energy Density 2170 Will Do For Tesla on February 2, 2019 at 9:58 pm
One of Elon Musk’s most interesting comments on the recent Tesla Q4 earnings call was his statement that Tesla’s battery modules and packs “can essentially use any high energy density 2170 ... […]
- High-density lithium in graphene: An intriguing battery possibility on November 29, 2018 at 8:07 am
What we want is a battery that stores a whole lot of energy in a very tiny volume ... Instead, the lithium forms a high-density state that is normally found at low temperature or very high pressure. T... […]
- A novel catalyst for high-energy aluminum-air flow batteries on October 15, 2018 at 4:34 am
bypassing the slow-charging issues of existing EV battery technology. It also provides lightweight, high-energy density power sources with little risk of burning or explosion. This breakthrough has be... […]
- Akasol Shows New High Energy Dense Battery Modules (221 Wh/kg) on June 6, 2018 at 5:21 am
This high-energy battery system with 40 kilowatt hours uses the new cylindrical-cell battery modules with very high energy density (approximately 221 Wh/kg, at maximum power density of up to 433 W/kg) ... […]
- Akasol introduces new battery module with high energy density for coaches and trucks on May 17, 2018 at 10:28 pm
ETAuto reported that lithium-ion battery systems manufacturer Akasol has introduced its first cylindrical-cells battery system with very high energy density for coaches and trucks. The AKA Module 60 C... […]
- Akasol unveils new battery module with high energy density for coaches and trucks on May 14, 2018 at 11:36 pm
The new battery module will first be used in customer application trials at the end of 2018. Afterwards it will enter series production. Hanover: Lithium-ion battery systems manufacturer Akasol has in... […]
via Bing News