It’s like a Fitbit on steroids.
Researchers at Missouri University of Science and Technology have developed a multi-modal sensing device that can track the fine-grained activities and behavior of people with dementia — and it could help in Army combat training, too.
Dr. Debraj De, a postdoctoral fellow at Missouri S&T, and Dr. Sajal K. Das, the Daniel St. Clair Endowed Chair and department chair of computer science at Missouri S&T, created a wearable device for the wrist that can track a person’s movements, ambient environment, bio-signals and much more. In collaboration with Dr. Mignon Makos, a neurologist at Phelps County Regional Medical Center (PCRMC), the device is going to be tested for patient rehabilitation and routine evaluation.
“The smart chair and the wearable device are new, noninvasive strategies for earlier diagnosis and represent a partnership among scientists and physicians,” Makos says.
And, Das says, it might someday gain approval as a tracker during combat training at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.
Looking like an oversized watch, the sensing device has four basic functions. Like a fitness tracker, it records fine-grained movement. It also measures the wearer’s direct physical environment for temperature, humidity and barometric air pressure. It also will track health status through heart rate, respiration rate and galvanic skin response (a person’s skin reacts to stimuli through the sympathetic nervous system, producing a weak electrical current that indicates the wearer’s emotional state, such as being startled or agitated, De says). Finally, the sensing device has a functions like GPS and communication with Bluetooth beacons in proximity for various location contexts.
Learn more: Wearable tracker could help patients, soldiers
The Latest on: Wearable tracker
via Google News
The Latest on: Wearable tracker
- Samsung Galaxy Watch Active, Galaxy Fit activity tracker and Galaxy Buds cord-free earphones launched alongside new Galaxy smartphone lineup on February 21, 2019 at 12:39 am
Same as the Galaxy Watch Active, the Galaxy Fit wearables can also automatically track six different exercises. They support sleep tracking as well and have NFC wireless charge functionality. The fitn... […]
- Samsung announces a trio of new Samsung Galaxy wearable devices on February 20, 2019 at 9:31 pm
Compatible with Android and iOS, the new wearable can connect to popular apps ... the Galaxy Fit and Galaxy Fit e have a slim fitness tracker look to them. Like the Watch Active, users can ... […]
- Samsung pushes into health wearables fray with newly announced smartwatches on February 20, 2019 at 5:08 pm
Sleep tracking has become an area of differentiation against the Apple Watch for device makers looking to push further into the health and wellness space. Wearables from companies like Garmin and ... […]
- Samsung Wearables Revealed – Galaxy Fit, Watch Active and Buds on February 20, 2019 at 1:57 pm
At Samsung’s 10th anniversary Unpacked event, they announced a new lineup of wearables to add to their catalog: a fitness tracker, a fitness-focused smart watch, and a pair of Bluetooth headphones. […]
- Samsung launches new smartwatch, fitness tracker on February 20, 2019 at 1:04 pm
The new S10 phones or charging pads can wirelessly charge the wearable. The Watch will cost $199.99 and releases March 8. The Galaxy Galaxy Fit fitness tracker has a 0.95-inch AMOLED display and ... […]
- Samsung's new wearables include earbuds, a smartwatch, and a fitness tracker on February 20, 2019 at 12:59 pm
The Galaxy Buds are pretty much what we already expected. They're a pair of Bluetooth earbuds with a similar form factor to Apple's AirPods. They support Bluetooth 5.0. The Galaxy Buds are powered by ... […]
- Galaxy Watch Active, Galaxy Fit & Galaxy Buds are Samsung's new wearables on February 20, 2019 at 12:58 pm
Beyond the Galaxy S10 and Fold, Samsung revealed multiple wearable devices on Wednesday: the Galaxy Watch Active, two Galaxy Fit trackers, and its AirPods-like Galaxy Buds. The Active uses a 1.1 ... […]
- Samsung’s New Wearables Include an Updated Galaxy Smartwatch, Fitness Tracker & Earbuds on February 20, 2019 at 12:26 pm
In addition to the Galaxy S10, today Samsung unveils a trio of wearables for balanced and connected living, with the Galaxy Watch Active, Galaxy Fit and Galaxy Buds. The Galaxy Watch Active is a smart... […]
- Samsung Adds the Galaxy Active and Galaxy Fit to Their Wearable Line on February 20, 2019 at 12:18 pm
Alongside its much-awaited foldable smartphone and the Galaxy S10, Samsung also unveiled the Galaxy Watch Active and the Galaxy Fit fitness tracker today. The new wearables are the Galaxy Watch ... […]
via Bing News