System has the ability to condition the air and control humidity independently
The University of Nottingham is developing a solar air conditioning system that is said to have the capability to cut electricity consumption by up to 50 percent compared to conventional vapor compression (VC) systems.
Dr. Jie Zhu, from the Department of Architecture and Built Environment at The University of Nottingham, and Professor Tingxian Li, Shanghai Jiaotong University, China, are conducting this research supported by the Royal Society.
The two institutions are investigating a new air conditioning technology, powered by solar energy, whose features include:
• The ability to condition the air and control humidity independently.
• A sorption thermal battery that combines heat and cold energy storage in one unit and has the ability to achieve thermal energy storage with controllable temperature.
Zhu said, “A VC cooling system adopts a condensation dehumidification method to handle both sensible and latent heat loads. This means the system has to operate under lower evaporation temperatures, which results in lower cooling capacity, lower coefficient of performance (COP), and sometimes a reheating process is required to meet supply air requirements.
“We are proposing a temperature and humidity independent control technology to solve this problem. This system can save 25-50 percent electrical consumption and COP increases about 40-60 percent, thus greatly reducing operating costs, compared to the conventional VC system.”
Thermal energy battery storage plays a key role in the use of solar energy for heating and cooling due to solar’s inherent fluctuation and the lack of year-round sun in many countries.
The solid-gas sorption thermal battery has the capability to store both heat and cold energy at a controllable temperature in a single unit. The heat energy is used to power the dehumidification subsystem, while the cold energy is used to cool the air circulating in the indoor environment.
The Latest on: Solar Air Conditioning
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar Air Conditioning
- LG Solar Panels, Energy Star Appliances Bring Green Technology To 2019 'New American Remodel' Home on February 20, 2019 at 6:00 am
In the United States, LG sells a wide range of innovative home appliances, home entertainment products, mobile phones, commercial displays, air conditioning systems, solar energy solutions and vehicle ... […]
- Cool, comfortable indoor living with Renson’s external solar shading and window louvres on February 17, 2019 at 2:29 pm
Expensive air conditioning is not the only solution – you can actually have a cool indoor environment for free with Renson’s solar shading and ventilation solutions. Renson’s Fixscreen dynamic and win... […]
- How to power through a heatwave – in comfort, on 100% solar energy on February 7, 2019 at 7:26 pm
Even in a house with a good thermal envelope and a modern, efficient air conditioner. A typical solar panel loses 0.5% of its efficiency for every degree over 25ºC that the panel’s temperature ... […]
- Solar Air Conditioning Market - Product Need Highlights 2025 on January 24, 2019 at 6:27 am
Nowadays, the consumption of electricity for air-conditioning has increased dramatically across the world. The usage of solar energy for air-conditioning opens up an array of alternatives and a massiv... […]
- New Air-Conditioner Absorbs Solar Energy and Blasts Radiation Into Space on November 9, 2018 at 4:11 pm
As people search for solutions to the climate change crisis on Earth, scientists are working to create renewable energy sources as alternatives to fossil fuels. Now, scientists at Stanford University ... […]
- Greencore's solar powered air conditioner on August 25, 2018 at 5:00 pm
August 25, 2008 It's an idea that makes perfect sense - when it's hot, the sun is out, so why not utilize that energy to help cool down. Californian based Greencore has developed a solar-powered air c... […]
- Integrated solar air-conditioning system on March 13, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Although the fast development of thermal solar systems in the last years has been limited to the production of heat, their use for production of cold is also technically possible, as has been proved b... […]
- Solar Air Conditioner Market Overview and Classification, Share Analysis and Forecast to 2022 on February 1, 2018 at 4:00 pm
The Solar Air Conditioner market can be split based on product types, major applications, and important regions. 3. Global Solar Air Conditioner Market, by Type 4. Solar Air Conditioner Market, by App... […]
- New water-cooling solar panels could lower the cost of air conditioning by 20% on September 4, 2017 at 8:14 am
Most of us have heard of solar water heaters. Now, there’s a solar water cooler, and the technology may sharply lower the cost of industrial-scale air conditioning and refrigeration. The new water coo... […]
via Bing News