Engineers at The Australian National University (ANU) have developed a new spray-on material with a remarkable ability to repel water.
The new protective coating could eventually be used to waterproof mobile phones, prevent ice from forming on aeroplanes or protect boat hulls from corroding.
“The surface is a layer of nanoparticles, which water slides off as if it’s on a hot barbecue,” said PhD student William Wong, from the Nanotechnology Research Laboratory at the ANU Research School of Engineering.
The team created a much more robust coating than previous materials by combining two plastics, one tough and one flexible.
“It’s like two interwoven fishing nets, made of different materials,” Mr Wong said.
The water-repellent or superhydrophobic coating is also transparent and extremely resistant to ultraviolet radiation.
Lead researcher and head of the Nanotechnology Research Laboratory, Associate Professor Antonio Tricoli, said the new material could change how we interact with liquids.
“It will keep skyscraper windows clean and prevent the mirror in the bathroom from fogging up,” Associate Professor Tricoli said.
“The key innovation is that this transparent coating is able to stabilise very fragile nanomaterials resulting in ultra-durable nanotextures with numerous real-world applications.”
The team developed two ways of creating the material, both of which are cheaper and easier than current manufacturing processes.
One method uses a flame to generate the nanoparticle constituents of the material. For lower temperature applications, the team dissolved the two components in a sprayable form.
In addition to waterproofing, the new ability to control the properties of materials could be applied to a wide range of other coatings, said Mr Wong.
“A lot of the functional coatings today are very weak, but we will be able to apply the same principles to make robust coatings that are, for example, anti-corrosive, self-cleaning or oil-repellent,” he said.
Learn more: New material to revolutionise water proofing
The Latest on: Water proofing
via Google News
The Latest on: Water proofing
- GAF Names Brian Kimber EVP of Sales, Jim Durkin Elevated to SVP of Steep Slope Systems Sales on February 19, 2019 at 11:00 am
PARSIPPANY, N.J., Feb. 19, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- GAF, the largest roofing and waterproofing manufacturer in North America, announced the appointment of Brian Kimber as Executive Vice President of Sales ... […]
- Cementitious Waterproofing Market 2025: Top Key Players Evonik A.G., Fosroc International, Mapei S.p.A on February 19, 2019 at 7:09 am
Waterproofing can be explained as the process of making a structure or object waterproof or water-resistant so as to make it unaffected by water under specified conditions such as high moisture areas, ... […]
- Langley's new hand applied liquid waterproofing system on February 19, 2019 at 3:59 am
Langley Waterproofing Systems Ltd is leading the way with its new hand applied Cold Polyurea liquid waterproofing system. For use on flat roofs, balconies and walkways, Cold Polyurea is a quick to ins... […]
- New waterproof tech means your phone will work after two hours in water on February 19, 2019 at 1:22 am
A new waterproofing coating for phones will keep components protected for two hours - even if water penetrates the casing of the phone. Of course waterproofing of phones is nothing new, but it's the d... […]
- Waterproofing Membranes market report just published on February 18, 2019 at 11:11 pm
Submitted by RNR Market Research. In Waterproofing Membranes Market report, major applications have been taken into consideration: roofing and walls, water and waste management, building structures, t... […]
- Green Roofs: How to Detail Waterproofing Using Liquid Membranes on February 17, 2019 at 1:33 pm
Green roofs are composed of a series of layers that allow vegetation to grow correctly, avoiding leaks that may cause damage to the structure of the building. Although there is a wide variety of optio... […]
- OpenGate Capital Signs Agreement to Acquire SMAC Waterproofing Business from Colas Group on February 14, 2019 at 11:00 pm
OpenGate Capital, a global private equity firm, announced today that Colas Group (epa:RE) has agreed to sell SMAC to an affiliate of OpenGate Capital. Financial terms of the agreement were not disclos... […]
- EUROPEAN COATINGS SHOW 2019 WACKER to Unveil New Dispersible Polymer Powder for Easy-Use Waterproofing Membranes on February 14, 2019 at 7:35 am
Munich / Nuremberg, February 14, 2019 – WACKER will unveil a new dispersible polymer powder that has little tendency to flow and can be used to formulate high-performance waterproofing membranes that ... […]
- PENETRON Provides Waterproofing for Migdal Arquitectos in México on February 13, 2019 at 11:47 am
The December 2018 inauguration of the Via 515 mixed-use complex in México City highlights the technology partnership between Migdal Arquitectos and Penetron México. Penetron crystalline technology pro... […]
via Bing News