While most farmers are actively trying to kill weeds, researchers in Ohio are trying to grow them – fast. Taraxacum kok-saghyz, a special variety of dandelion from Kazakhstan — nicknamed “Buckeye Gold” by the researchers studying it — may be the answer to sustainable and U.S.-based rubber-making.
An article in Chemical & Engineering News (C&EN), the weekly newsmagazine of the American Chemical Society, examines the plants’ potential for revolutionizing the rubber industry.
Melody Bomgardner, a senior editor at C&EN, takes a look at the work of Katrina Cornish, a researcher currently studying Buckeye Gold at the Ohio State University. While it might look like a regular dandelion, this variety’s roots contain 10-15 percent natural rubber. The goal is to cultivate these dandelions to the point where they can become an industrial rubber crop. Currently, rubber trees that grow on plantations in Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia take years to grow, making it hard for producers to adapt to changes in the market. Also, transporting the material is costly to both the industry and the environment. With Buckeye Gold, crops can be grown locally, and they mature much faster than rubber trees.
However, scaling up dandelion cultivation so it is competitive with the well-established rubber industry will take time. Researchers are looking to modify these dandelions so they can withstand disease and pest-control measures, which would otherwise kill them. Also, because the plant’s root has only small amounts of rubber in it, researchers will have to find ways to use the rest of the crop in order for it to be truly sustainable.
The Latest on: Sustainable rubber
via Google News
The Latest on: Sustainable rubber
- Global plastics, rubber industry to achieve 4-5% annual growth on April 17, 2019 at 11:51 am
The global plastics and rubber industry has continued to achieve annual growth ... first and foremost in regard to ‘plastics for sustainable development’ and the ‘circular economy,’” added Cullmann. ... […]
- Global plastics and rubber industry continues to achieve annual growth rates of between 4 percent and 5 percent on April 17, 2019 at 6:10 am
(MENAFN - Editorial) The global plastics and rubber industry has continued to ... first and foremost in regard to ‘plastics for sustainable development’ and the ‘circular economy ... […]
- Global plastics and rubber industry continues to achieve annual growth rates of between 4-5%: report on April 17, 2019 at 5:04 am
Dubai, UAE: The global plastics and rubber industry has continued to achieve annual growth ... first and foremost in regard to ‘plastics for sustainable development’ and the ‘circular economy,’” added ... […]
- 9 Outdoor Gear Brands that Cleverly Utilize Recycled Goods on April 16, 2019 at 7:00 am
New wetsuit offerings are neoprene-free, featuring 85% Yulex (natural rubber derived from sustainable sources) and 15% synthetic rubber. You can also feel good about going to the beach or pool this ... […]
- Sustainable Shetland makes call for moratorium on windfarms on April 16, 2019 at 6:11 am
“Instead of rubber stamping every windfarm application that comes before them councillors should instigate a moratorium on all windfarm development until there is a proper investigation into finding ... […]
- 4 ways you can get involved during Earth Week 2019 on April 15, 2019 at 8:26 am
Houston said Earth Week provides people with opportunities to learn how to integrate sustainable practices into their life ... students have the opportunity to share their practice with Rubber Soul ... […]
- Rubber Soul's clothing swap lets you trade clothes with others for a new spring wardrobe on April 13, 2019 at 6:00 am
Rubber Soul has been under new management since January of ... “The clothing swap is just a great opportunity to meet new people … or come in and do an activity that is sustainable and good for the ... […]
- IAPH World Ports Sustainability Award for Community Outreach and Port-City dialogue will now have two winners out of six finalists on April 12, 2019 at 4:46 pm
Civitas Portis is testing innovative and sustainable urban mobility solutions in several ... The port itself has introduced onshore power for visiting ships, converted rubber tyre gantry cranes into ... […]
- Afternoon Coffee: Bridgestone Group Progresses on Sustainable Procurement Policy; Amazon Shipping Crops Up on April 12, 2019 at 12:15 pm
The global rubber leader’s aim is to line up all its suppliers with its use of 100% sustainable material by 2050 and beyond. Until March this year, 98% of Bridgestone's Tier 1 suppliers had already ... […]
- Bridgestone continues advancing sustainability and transparency across global tire and rubber supply chain on April 12, 2019 at 3:25 am
Bridgestone Group, the world’s largest tire and rubber company, today announced steady progress in implementing its Global Sustainable Procurement Policy – which aims to create thriving and ... […]
via Bing News