While most farmers are actively trying to kill weeds, researchers in Ohio are trying to grow them – fast. Taraxacum kok-saghyz, a special variety of dandelion from Kazakhstan — nicknamed “Buckeye Gold” by the researchers studying it — may be the answer to sustainable and U.S.-based rubber-making.
An article in Chemical & Engineering News (C&EN), the weekly newsmagazine of the American Chemical Society, examines the plants’ potential for revolutionizing the rubber industry.
Melody Bomgardner, a senior editor at C&EN, takes a look at the work of Katrina Cornish, a researcher currently studying Buckeye Gold at the Ohio State University. While it might look like a regular dandelion, this variety’s roots contain 10-15 percent natural rubber. The goal is to cultivate these dandelions to the point where they can become an industrial rubber crop. Currently, rubber trees that grow on plantations in Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia take years to grow, making it hard for producers to adapt to changes in the market. Also, transporting the material is costly to both the industry and the environment. With Buckeye Gold, crops can be grown locally, and they mature much faster than rubber trees.
However, scaling up dandelion cultivation so it is competitive with the well-established rubber industry will take time. Researchers are looking to modify these dandelions so they can withstand disease and pest-control measures, which would otherwise kill them. Also, because the plant’s root has only small amounts of rubber in it, researchers will have to find ways to use the rest of the crop in order for it to be truly sustainable.
The Latest on: Sustainable rubber
via Google News
The Latest on: Sustainable rubber
- DBS Bank Teams Up With Halcyon to Launch Digital Trading Marketplace For Sustainably Processed Natural Rubber “HeveaConnect” on December 26, 2018 at 6:53 am
We are pleased to be part of Halcyon’s ambition to be the leading provider of sustainable natural rubber.” DBS added it has also taken a minority stake in HeveaConnect, as part of the bank’s commitmen... […]
- DBS partners Halcyon to create a digital marketplace for sustainable rubber on December 26, 2018 at 1:58 am
DBS Bank Ltd (DBS) and Halcyon Agri Corporation Limited (Halcyon) today announced a partnership to launch a digital marketplace for the trading of sustainably processed natural rubber. DBS has also ta... […]
- Resourcetrust Network holds workshop for oil palm, rubber farmers in Western Region on December 25, 2018 at 1:22 pm
A Non-Governmental Organisation, Resourcetrust Network (RTN) has organized a training workshop for Smallholder Oil Palm and Rubber plantation farmers to deliberate on sustainable production solutions ... […]
- Ten years on, Amazon Fund receives applause, criticism, faces new tests on December 21, 2018 at 10:09 am
The economic value of forests was estimated based upon sustainable food production (such as Brazil nuts), raw materials (such as natural rubber and timber), carbon storage, and climate/rainfall ... […]
- Draft rubber law to reach Council of Ministers in 2019 on December 19, 2018 at 1:11 pm
The Ministry of Agriculture is now discussing the Rubber Law with industry players and plans to ... ensure an efficient and transparent management of the sector as well as its sustainable development. ... […]
- Global Ethylene Propylene Diene Rubber (EPDM) Market Expected to Witness a Sustainable Growth over 2023 on December 18, 2018 at 10:04 pm
New report published by Market Research Report Store (MRRS) which offers insights on the global Ethylene Propylene Diene Rubber (EPDM) market. Ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM) is a high-density ... […]
- Vietnam, third largest rubber exporter, imports $1 billion of synthetic rubber yearly on December 18, 2018 at 5:19 pm
... have to import rubber materials because domestically made rubber is unsuitable. Nguyen Ngoc Lung from the Institute for Sustainable Forest Management and Forest Certification said ... […]
- Activists rally for sustainability at Bridgestone headquarters on December 18, 2018 at 2:16 pm
At the same time, it began to engage with other tire manufacturers to map out a plan to address deforestation on a global scale through a platform called the Global Platform for Sustainable Natural Ru... […]
- Goodyear Tire & Rubber to expand capacity at Slovenian facility on December 18, 2018 at 9:02 am
Goodyear Tire & Rubber (GT +1.6%) announces plans to expand ... larger-rim-diameter consumer tires is growing across EMEA. To ensure the sustainable growth of our business, Goodyear plans to ... […]
- Halcyon to launch digital platform for sustainable NR trading on December 17, 2018 at 12:45 am
Singapore – Halcyon Agri Corp. has partnered with Singapore-based DBS Bank in its bid to set up a digital trading platform for natural rubber, Halcyon announced 17 Dec. The HeveaConnect joint venture ... […]
via Bing News