The toxic and expensive phosphors used widely in fluorescent lighting could be eliminated thanks to a new study conducted by a materials scientist at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL).
Writing in the journal Nature Materials, the international group of scientists modified a mineral called zeolite, more commonly found in washing powder, to incorporate tiny clusters of silver atoms.
At this very small scale (less than 10 atoms), the silver clusters act very differently and can even emit light.
Lead author Dr Oliver Fenwick from QMUL’s School of Engineering and Materials Science, said: “We’ve shown that silver atoms can be assembled in the porous framework of minerals known as zeolites with a level of control not reported previously. This has allowed us to tailor very precisely the properties of the silver clusters to meet our needs – in this case an efficient phosphor.
“The high efficiency of the materials along with cheap, scalable synthesis makes them very attractive as next generation emitters for fluorescent lamps, LEDs and for biological imaging, for example for highlighting tumours or cell division.”
Zeolites are porous minerals that can be found naturally or produced synthetically on an industrial scale. They are rigid and have a well-defined framework made of molecular-scale channels and cavities.
The researchers from Université de Strasbourg in France, where Dr Fenwick was based when carrying out the study, and KU Leuven in Belgium manipulated the characteristics of the zeolite pores to fine-tune the properties of the clusters of silver. By tailoring of the zeolite host, they demonstrated luminescence efficiencies close to 100 per cent.
The Latest on: Zeolite
via Google News
The Latest on: Zeolite
- India Makes Breakthrough In Biofuel Development on January 3, 2019 at 9:05 pm
The key to the scientists’ discovery is a new version of a zeolite catalyst – HPW/Meso-HZ-5 - which can be used to make the process of converting industrial biomass into an organic biofuel compound ca... […]
- W. R. Grace & Co (GRA) Cut to “Hold” at Zacks Investment Research on January 3, 2019 at 3:54 am
Davison Chemicals manufactures catalysts (fluid cracking, hydroprocessing and polyolein) and silica and zeolite absorbents. Performance Chemicals produces specialty construction and building materials ... […]
- International Zeolite Grants Stock Options on January 2, 2019 at 4:55 pm
Vancouver, British Columbia--(Newsfile Corp. - January 2, 2019) - International Zeolite Corp. (TSXV: IZ) (OTCQB: IZCFF) (FSE: ZEON) (the "Company") announces, subject to regulatory approval ... […]
- Global Zeolite for Detergents Market Research Report 2018-2025, by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications on December 28, 2018 at 1:28 am
Global Zeolite for Detergents Market Report is the latest offering at ‘The Market Reports’ which is in-depth analysis of the market and helps an individual or company to understand the market ... […]
- Global Zeolite Market Growth, Key Futuristic Trends And Competitive Landscape 2018-2027 on December 24, 2018 at 9:13 am
Global Zeolite Market 2018 Research Report signifies an extensive analysis of global Zeolite industry by delivering an assessment of present switch, forthcoming trends, customer’s expectations ... […]
- Cleaning the Diesel on December 24, 2018 at 4:41 am
The catalyst used in the SCR can be wash-coated with platinum, palladium, rhodium, or iron zeolite, but the most common coating is copper zeolite due to its heat tolerance and ammonia storage capabili... […]
- Indian researchers develop zeolite catalyst to produce furfural from agri waste on December 18, 2018 at 3:59 pm
In India, researchers at the National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), Pune have developed a new version of zeolite catalyst to produce furfural as well as ethyl levulinate from waste biomass sources much q... […]
- Touchstone Essentials Donates Pure Body Liquid Zeolite to Aid Brain Health of Special Needs Children on December 4, 2018 at 3:22 am
Eddie Stone, the Founder and CEO of global direct selling organization, Touchstone Essentials, is pleased to announce the donation of its best-selling liquid zeolite supplement, Pure Body, to The Brai... […]
- Hemp Grow Trial Shows Z1-Zeolite Affected Cannabinoid Compounds on November 26, 2018 at 12:35 am
VANCOUVER, BC / ACCESSWIRE / November 26, 2018 / PROGRESSIVE PLANET SOLUTIONS INC. (TSX-V: PLAN) (“Progressive Planet”, “PLAN” or the “Company”) has received additional results from InnoTech Alberta f... […]
- Ultrathin ZSM-5 zeolite nanosheet laminated membrane for high-flux desalination of concentrated brines on November 23, 2018 at 11:07 am
1 Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45221, USA. 2 State Key Laboratory of Materials-Oriented Chemical Engineering, Nanjing Tech University, ... […]
via Bing News