The toxic and expensive phosphors used widely in fluorescent lighting could be eliminated thanks to a new study conducted by a materials scientist at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL).
Writing in the journal Nature Materials, the international group of scientists modified a mineral called zeolite, more commonly found in washing powder, to incorporate tiny clusters of silver atoms.
At this very small scale (less than 10 atoms), the silver clusters act very differently and can even emit light.
Lead author Dr Oliver Fenwick from QMUL’s School of Engineering and Materials Science, said: “We’ve shown that silver atoms can be assembled in the porous framework of minerals known as zeolites with a level of control not reported previously. This has allowed us to tailor very precisely the properties of the silver clusters to meet our needs – in this case an efficient phosphor.
“The high efficiency of the materials along with cheap, scalable synthesis makes them very attractive as next generation emitters for fluorescent lamps, LEDs and for biological imaging, for example for highlighting tumours or cell division.”
Zeolites are porous minerals that can be found naturally or produced synthetically on an industrial scale. They are rigid and have a well-defined framework made of molecular-scale channels and cavities.
The researchers from Université de Strasbourg in France, where Dr Fenwick was based when carrying out the study, and KU Leuven in Belgium manipulated the characteristics of the zeolite pores to fine-tune the properties of the clusters of silver. By tailoring of the zeolite host, they demonstrated luminescence efficiencies close to 100 per cent.
The Latest on: Zeolite
via Google News
The Latest on: Zeolite
- Synthetic Zeolite Market to Garner USD 1.5 Billion by 2020 on April 17, 2019 at 7:01 am
Apr 17, 2019 (Wired Hearld via COMTEX) -- According to a new report published by Acumen Research and Consulting titled ldquo;Synthetic Zeolite Market ... […]
- Zeolite Market to witness Astonishing Growth with Key Players: UOP (Honeywell),CECA (Arkema),BASF,Zeochem AG,Tosoh and more on April 16, 2019 at 3:57 am
Apr 16, 2019 (Reports Monitor via COMTEX) -- The report provides a global analysis of Zeolite Market Report provides Insightful information to the clients enhancing their basic leadership capacity ... […]
- Global Zeolite Market 2019 Honeywell, Arkema, BASF, Zeochem AG, Tosoh Corporation, W. R. Grace, Zeolyst, Bear River on April 11, 2019 at 5:37 pm
In the present fast moving world, to accelerate the development and expansion of any sector, one needs a trustworthy, timely, and comprehensive information source with distinctive ideas. These ... […]
- International Zeolite Retains Venture Liquidity Providers Inc. as Market Maker on April 9, 2019 at 9:48 am
Vancouver, British Columbia--(Newsfile Corp. - April 9, 2019) - International Zeolite Corp. (the "Company") (TSXV: IZ) (OTCQB: IZCFF) (FSE: ZEON) an international marketer and supplier of natural ... […]
- CBD OIL BENEFITS on April 8, 2019 at 10:20 am
CBD Oil is wonderful nutritional supplement but we guarantee Liquid Zeolite will outperform any CBD oil on the market concerning most unpleasant symptoms you may have. As an added benefit Liquid ... […]
- Financial Comparison: Compass Minerals International (CMP) and Canadian Zeolite C (OTCMKTS:CNZCF) on April 8, 2019 at 3:26 am
Compass Minerals International, Inc., produces and sells salt, and specialty plant nutrition and chemical products primarily in the United States, Canada, Brazil, and the United Kingdom. It operates ... […]
- Synthetic Zeolite Market 2019 – Key Manufacturers, Demand, Supply and Strategic Growth Outlook on April 4, 2019 at 8:02 pm
The report provides a unique tool for evaluating the Market, highlighting opportunities, and supporting strategic and tactical decision-making. This report recognizes that in this rapidly-evolving and ... […]
- Zeolite Helps Relieve Unpleasant Symptoms on April 4, 2019 at 6:33 am
United States, New Jersey, Cedar Grove – 04-04-2019 (PRDistribution.com) — Liquid Zeolite Enhanced with DHQ removes toxic heavy metals such as: lead, mercury, arsenic, cadmium, and other toxins from ... […]
- International Zeolite Poultry Trial Confirms Economics on March 20, 2019 at 6:05 am
(MENAFN - Newsfile Corp) International Zeolite Poultry Trial Confirms Economics Positive results of 2nd in-field poultry study provides vital cost-benefit analysis Use of Bromley Creek zeolite poultry ... […]
- International Zeolite Poultry Trial Confirms Economics on March 19, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Positive results of 2 nd in-field poultry study provides vital cost-benefit analysis Use of Bromley Creek zeolite poultry additive increased producer profits by 6.5% Company to implement marketing ... […]
via Bing News